PDA

View Full Version : Vale Captain Mike Wood

terminus mos
25th May 2014, 09:15
It is with great personal sadness that I have just learned of Mike's death on Thursday night. He had been ill for many years.

Mike joined Bristow in the 1970s from the Royal Navy and was an instructor on the old Redhill Command Course for students transitioning to their first command job. He spent his last flying years at North Denes on the S-76.

He was my Single Pilot Line Training Captain in the early 80s and taught me how not to get into trouble when flying SPIFR (IMC) and at night. I will never forget his demonstration of how to land on a moving deck without overtorquing the S-76 where, due to an unexpected lurch, he overtorqued the aircraft. "Well, obviously, that's NOT how you should do it" he said.

Mike was awarded the Queen's Gallantry Medal for his part in the Interocean II rescue in November 1989. Some of those 51 people alive today owe their lives to Mike's skill and determination.

Mike, I laughed with you, sometimes at you, drank with you, flew probably hundreds of hours with you and today, I shed a real tear for your passing. I salute you Captain. Jackie and Emma, my thoughts are with you both.

Boudreaux Bob
25th May 2014, 12:41
Another Good One taken too soon! Condolences to the family and friends.

Fareastdriver
25th May 2014, 14:41
I knew Mike from when I used to go to Redhill and/or North Denes when I was on the Aberdeen S76 fleet. I flew with him on 'difficult' sorties and he was an immaculate pilot. Socially he was a firebrand and there was never a dull moment when he was around. I didn't know his family but judging by my knowledge of him they must have been very lucky people.

Don't drink all the beer before I arrive!

flyer43
25th May 2014, 22:50
Very sad news indeed!
Mike was my first instructor on the HP7 Ab Initio Commercial Helicopter course at Redhill in 1976, flying the Hiller 12b & c then on to the Bell 47G2.
Several years later, in May 1983, Mike and I shared the cockpit of an S76A for several weeks flying Margaret Thatcher and her entourage around the country during her first re-election campaign. We also flew together on many occasions out of Aberdeen in the venerable old S61N. He was always great company, both at work and socially, and I always felt in safe hands whenever I flew with him.
I have the greatest of respect for Mike's professionalism and patience and owe a great deal to him for helping me reach my goal of gaining my rotary wings.

My sincere condolences to Mike's family.

Brian

Pofman
25th May 2014, 22:56
I was on the same helicopter course with MIKE in 1961 at 705 Sqdn. After he left the RN we only met a couple of times for re- unions. He was highly regarded at Bristows.
Farewell old buddy and get the beers lined up for the rest of us.

Oldlae
26th May 2014, 08:18
Sad to hear about Mike, one of the good ones.

Dave B
26th May 2014, 15:48
I knew Mike when I was converting S76s to Arriels at Redhill, always a nice guy.

Ainippe
27th May 2014, 07:35
I did the ferry flight with Mike down to Brindisi via Florence in an S76A+. A true professional in the cockpit and great fun to be with out of work. Spent a couple of months with him doing the Helitalia conversions. Really sorry to hear of his passing.

phive
7th Jul 2014, 19:33
I was on the same course too, though I don't know who 'Pofman in Florida' is! We did have fun in those days and always worried about Mike and Jackie when at Culdrose.
After Portland we went back to Culdrose waiting for a Wessex course. We needed to fill in time and were told to choose a SMAC so decided on a Shallow Water Diving course because it paid 4/- per day (if we passed!) Well we did pass even though it was December/January '62 and really cold in Portsmouth waters.
Since then Mike and I didn't meet up though we both worked in Bristow for very many years. Happy memories and I still pass his old house in Budleigh Salterton every now and again and send him a thought.
Rest in peace Mike and we'll see you on the other side and catch up with old news.

soggyboxers
9th Jul 2014, 04:00
I'm sad to hear the news of the passing of Mike; another of the old school RN and Bristow leaves us.
Rest in Peace.
My condolences to his family.