PDA

View Full Version : Backup handheld GPS -- recommendations?

Blind Squirrel
25th May 2014, 05:19
Dear all,

My stone-age Garmin GPS 55 AVD having finally gone belly-up (all right, ladies and gentlemen, suppress your giggles), I'm looking for a replacement basic handheld machine that I can stuff in a flight bag and haul out in the unlikely event of everything connected in my panel simultaneously going "pffftt." I don't want to spend a ton of money on it -- EUR 700/USD 1,000 would be my upper limit. I've been considering two possibilities, both Garmins: the Aera 500, and the GPSMap 196, each of which goes for USD 600 or so. Pros and cons about both:-

Aera 500

+ Modern-looking machine; internal antenna that apparently works quite well regardless; colour display; lots of bells and whistles.

- According to some reviewers, cranky touch-screen data input that's a nightmare to fiddle with in the cockpit; questions about whether the screen is readable in bright sunlight.

GPSMap 196

+ Easy data input (substantially the same as my panel-mounted GPSMap 396).

- Ancient-looking black-and-white display; external antenna; gives the impression of already being obsolete (raising questions of continued support by the manufacturer).

What do you all think? Are there viable alternatives that I'm overlooking?

tmmorris
25th May 2014, 05:57
I use an Aera 500 as my main GPS, not having a posh panel one, and the software is much better than the hardware. The screen is just about OK in what the British call bright sunlight, and the screen is just about stabbable in flight, but it's definitely better programmed in advance and not as easy to use in flight as my old Lowrance Airmap, which I miss a lot.

Do you need colour in a backup GPS?

What is garmin's record like for supporting old, old models? Unlikely they will drop aviation GPS completely (which is what did for my Lowrance).

Johnm
25th May 2014, 06:32
I use a GTN 650 in the panel supported by a Aera 500 which has a better database and display of VFR hazard items such as parachute and gliding sites. Aera works well on a suction mount on the side of the windscreen in our Trinidad.

dirkdj
25th May 2014, 07:07
Have a look at a Nexus7 tablet with Skydemon instead, it will download your NOTAMs, weather, AIP airfield plates and information, has a nice moving map display with NOTAMs graphically overlaid, allows filing flight plans and GARs. The Nexus7 comes with a built-in GPS. Oh yes, you can send emails, browse internet and view Youtube movies as well.
I find the 7" tablet just the right size for cockpit use; use it as a kneeboard.

Genghis the Engineer
25th May 2014, 07:11
I use an Aera 500, and am very happy with it. A £5 GPS screen sunlight shield from eBay does enhance it however.

Good functionality, reasonable battery life if running off internal, okay screen, good GPS reception - and you can toggle it over into Nuvi mode in the hire car at your destination.

I've yet to see any multi-function device, including SD variants, function as well as an airborne GPS as a dedicated Garmin device. On the other hand, it's quite a lot of money for a pure backup.

Insofar as I have one, my Aera is my primary GPS - my (very cheap) backup is MemoryMap running on my Galaxy Note 2, which is also my main phone.

G

Above The Clouds
25th May 2014, 08:28
I bought a Garmin 196 with current Europe and USA data bases WAAS enabled with all the extras, external power and computer cables, 3 various mount options, extra aerial for mounting on the windshield almost new in the box with warranty card still valid for a £100 of Ebay :)

flyme273
25th May 2014, 09:42
I use a Garmin 296. Very pleased with it.

In terms of a recommendation, one should consider your application, namely do you use the moving map feature? If so the screen size is a primary consideration.

Not sure about having IPAD's on my knee, seems to me eyes should remain at a higher elevation. :hmm:

Personally, pre-flight I set up the "route" from selected waypoints. I then use the map page to check for controlled airspace, etc. with cross reference to an (in date) paper map.

Once in flight, the unit is set on the navigation page (i.e. bearing, dist next, ETA, speed and the compass rose showing CDI) and not touched (the waypoints rolling over on auto mode). :)

Vertical nav. feature is not used.

flyme

Whopity
25th May 2014, 10:32
As a backup, the Nexus 7 or 10 with Skydemon or any other mapping system installed represents probably the most useful and cheapest solution.

peterc005
25th May 2014, 10:40
An iPhone or iPad with an aviation app is best.

I can get the weather, download the latest maps etc, file a flight plan, track my flight on a moving map and even make phone calls.

rjtjrt
25th May 2014, 10:51
I have an Aera 500, and a GPSMAP 496.

I much prefer the 496. The 4 way button and other individual buttons is far superior to the touchscreen Aera. The Aera is OK, but the 496 much better in user interface for me.

Additionally, the effective screen size is the same, as the Aera has a slightly larger screen, but the right edge is used for permanent touchscreen "buttons".

As you already have a 396, and the new one is for a backup, you will be familiar with the buttonology of the 196 intuitively. I find if I don't use the Aera often, it takes awhile to learn how to operate it fluidly, not something you want to learn in the air. This last point is, in my mind, the main reason you may choose the 196.

John

Straighten Up
25th May 2014, 11:28
I second iPad with Skydemon and external gps. I have dual electronics xgps150 - the basic model and it works great. If you have a smart phone as well you can also have that as a third backup as it will also be able to connect to the dual. Mine cost about $120.

rjtjrt
25th May 2014, 12:16
iPad is great with the apps available, and is my primary GPS now. I still carry a Garmin backup as it is more compact/integrated to carry as a backup for my purposes.
Still the iPad apps are now better than the Garmin, especially the maps.
John

Cusco
25th May 2014, 12:34
My iPad/Skydemon combo has let me down three times in hot weather when it overheats and switches off with no warning.

Not an ideal situation but I guess would be OK as backup.

I certainly would not trust it as my only GPS.

Lone_Ranger
25th May 2014, 15:00
I use Skydemon on a tablet as my main VFR GPS these days, but always carry a Garmin 296 as backup, Ive never known a Garmin go tits up.

....though tbh, Ive not had my tablet (nexus 7) go tits up either, but Ive only got about 50 hours using it, not enough to build the confidence Ive got in the Garmin (yet)

The best handheld Ive ever used is a Garmin gpsmap 60csx, not aviation specific, but its solid as a rock, has an exceedingly clear bright screen, is readable in direct sunlight and the best weak signal receiver Ive come across

P.S. The quite common overheating Ipad thing, shouldnt put you off using programs like Skydemon, rather it should put you off over priced I-Crap, I've never had a nexus overheat and I havnt met anyone who has

Blind Squirrel
26th May 2014, 01:59
Many thanks for the suggestions thus far. I love the sound of the hundred-pounds GPSMap 196, but I fear that kind of purchasing opportunity comes along only once in a lifetime.

A moving map isn't essential for me. The old Garmin 55 AVD simply had a CDI and a numerical readout giving distance, G/S and estimated time to destination, which was plenty. If there was any way of prodding the thing back into life at a reasonable cost, I'd gladly do that, but the manufacturer is neither servicing nor supporting it.

For my purposes, I don't see myself going the "iPad + whatever" route. I don't own an iPad or any other tablet. What I'm hoping to find is essentially what I previously had: a light, cheap, simple GPS that will not take up much space in (or add much weight to) my flight bag, and will get me out of trouble using its own independent power source (i.e. battery) if everything else in the cockpit bar the wet compass should go kaputt.

I do think that something with an aviation database is necessary, though. I wouldn't want to have to programme the backup with a series of waypoints every time I go flying, nor -- if the necessity of actually using it arose -- would I fancy doing so with one hand while flying the aircraft with the other.

Blind Squirrel
26th May 2014, 03:07
Or now that I think of it, here's another possibility:-

Replace the panel-mounted Garmin 396 (which has now been discontinued, and who knows how long the manufacturer will continue supporting it -- Garmin seems to have a pretty poor record in this regard) with an iFly 720, which does the same job but seems to have a lot more features and a larger screen, and use the 396 as the backup.

Anybody got real-world experience using the iFly?

Genghis the Engineer
26th May 2014, 06:39
A moving map isn't essential for me. The old Garmin 55 AVD simply had a CDI and a numerical readout giving distance, G/S and estimated time to destination, which was plenty. If there was any way of prodding the thing back into life at a reasonable cost, I'd gladly do that, but the manufacturer is neither servicing nor supporting it.

G55s are generally not hard to find second hand and cheaply.

But, having used both, I think you will find that the improved situational awareness and utility that come from the moving map will make your flying much easier. If you are going to fly with a GPS, you may as well have a good one.

G

flyme273
26th May 2014, 08:19
returning to the original question (a low cost back-up carried in the flight bag).

I also have a good experience with a Garmin 60. I choose the monochrome version as the battery life is much longer and didn't consider a colour display a benefit. Cost circa GBP 140.

If not pre-entered; one would have to input the intended waypoints. A little fiddly to enter lat/lon if simultaneously hand flying. However, if ferry flying over the oceans . . .

flyme

flyme273
26th May 2014, 10:47
Battery life:
If ever in a back operating situation: worth remembering that reducing display brightness and switching off WAAS/ EGNOS greatly improves battery life.

For most GA VFR flying applications, I would not consider it necessary to enable WAAS/ EGNOS.

flyme.

sharpend
26th May 2014, 12:21
I have a Garmin 430W in my Bulldog. As a combo radio/navaids/sat nav it is great, though the map is not good. I use an iPad with SkyDemon if I want an accurate map display. Pretty good really.

BackPacker
26th May 2014, 13:51
The advantage of an iPad/iPhone or similar solution as a backup, is that those devices are used for other tasks day-in-day-out. That means you keep them charged and you know where they are (in case of the iPhone, typically in one of your pockets).

There's nothing more useless than a device which can't be found or reached, or one that has a flat battery. And your backup device is typically needed at the most inconvenient time.