PDA

View Full Version : French Defence Chiefs Threaten Resignation

ORAC
24th May 2014, 08:56
French military heads threaten to resign over 'grave' defence cuts (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/10852165/French-military-heads-threaten-to-resign-over-grave-defence-cuts.html)

France's top four military chiefs have threatened to resign if the government makes more cuts to their budget, with the defence minister warning a further drop in spending would leave it "unable to conduct new operations" abroad.

The heads of France's army, navy and air force, along with the military chief-of-staff, made the unprecedented threat at a meeting last week, according to defence sources. They warned that any more cuts – beyond those approved in a five-year defence budget in December – would torpedo France's ability to undertake operations in places like Mali and the Central African Republic that have drawn praise from many allies.

Such a joint resignation would be a first in modern French history.

Reports of the threat came as it emerged that Jean-Yves Le Drian the defence minister, had sent a letter to the prime minister this month warning that more cuts would have "very grave military consequences" and leave France's terrestrial army "under-equipped and rapidly unable to conduct new operations".

He also wrote that the forces were in a state of "near exasperation" over current belt-tightening. "Our defence cannot absorb more cuts in 2014, be it to jobs or budgets," Mr Le Drian said in a letter dated May 9 to Manuel Valls, the prime minister, according to excerpts cited by Le Figaro newspaper. These would have a negative impact on the army's training, which was "already inferior to international norms" and could lead to the bankruptcy of many small and medium-sized firms in the defence sector, the paper said. The consequences for French industry would be "disastrous," he warned, with "thousands of redundancies and the loss of competences". New intelligence projects, such as drone, satellite and spy planes would have to be scrapped.

The warnings came after Xavier Bertrand, a former centre-Right labour minister in the Nicolas Sarkozy administration, leaked finance ministry plans to shave up to two billion euros per year off the defence budget in coming years. The French government is seeking to cut public spending by 50 billion euros in three years, partly through freezing a range of welfare benefits and the pay of most public sector workers, to bring its deficit below the European Union's ceiling of three per cent of gross domestic product.

The French military has already been hit with a string of budget cuts in recent years and is in the process of a major overhaul to create a more mobile army still capable of operating in two or three different theatres at the same time. This year alone, it is shedding almost 8,000 posts. Last year, Mr Le Drian clinched a deal whereby the overall defence budget would remain largely static after military officials and MPs said drastic spending cuts would reduce France's ability to counter global security threats.

Mr Valls said earlier this year he would respect the law that allocates 190 billion euros to the French army over the 2014-2019 period, but did not rule out "adjustments". In the letter, Mr Le Drian said that 82,000 jobs would have been cut in the ten years to 2019, Le Figaro said. Reflecting the sentiment within the French military, Gen Vincent Desportes, former head of France's War School, said more cuts could lead to "the collapse of the French military system".

With the issue picking up media steam, Mr Valls stepped in on Friday to state that the defence budget for the next five years would be "totally preserved". "There is no need to worry about its application," he insisted. However, François Hollande's entourage was less categorical, saying the French president would take decisions on the issue "in the coming weeks".

CoffmanStarter
24th May 2014, 09:00
No worries ... Courtney and Wander00 can cover off for the Air Force I'm sure :ok:

Wander00
24th May 2014, 09:49
Nice idea, but they won't even let me teach English at a couple of their training schools because I am over 65!

Fox3WheresMyBanana
24th May 2014, 10:29
Perhaps the French Defence Chiefs are pointing over the Channel to say "See what happens when you cut Defence too much - can't even find a bloody yacht."

Wrathmonk
24th May 2014, 10:38
It matters not, and the French government know it, as there will be 4 eager 'yes' men waiting in the wings....

The president was overhead to say "ne laissez pas la porte vous frappez sur le cul à la sortie" (mis-translations down to Google!)

Heathrow Harry
24th May 2014, 11:58
wrath is right - resigning makes a headline for a day or do and then the new men step forward and say "everything is fine - honest"

Never made any difference in the UK

NutLoose
24th May 2014, 12:41
The French pm is probably waving a bit of paper and shouting, don't worry, we can borrow capability from the British.

:D

Hempy
24th May 2014, 14:20
http://coolestguidesontheplanet.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/french-military-victories1.png

Courtney Mil
25th May 2014, 08:08
Good point, Coff. I'll let them know I'm around. Least I can do to keep the excellent flypasts that we get here most days going.

Oh, and, Hempy, you might try this...

http://www.militaryfactory.com/battles/french_military_victories.asp

Fox3WheresMyBanana
25th May 2014, 11:44
Another interesting historical aside is the use of the Oriflamme; the red banner flown by the French indicating no quarter would be given. It is recorded as being flown at 6 battles; 3 against the Flemish, and 3 against the English - Crecy, Poitiers and Agincourt. Much as with the original World Cup and the Schneider Trophy, the winners got to keep it after the third victory :E

Oriflamme - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oriflamme)

Hempy
25th May 2014, 14:32
Gee that standard seemed to have the desired effect...lost four times out of six. Probably better off retiring that one I'd say.

Courtney Mil
25th May 2014, 15:14
Yep. I'm sure it was the banner that did it for them! Looking at the names of some of those battles, it can't have anything to do with English archers.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
25th May 2014, 15:42
The two are probably connected. It was common then to execute soldiers but ransom noblemen. A largely peasant army of archers wouldn't be worth capturing, so the oriflamme was raised.

Casualties/Captured over the three battles (approx)
French: 30,000
English: 700

NutLoose
25th May 2014, 15:43
Yup Courtney and you can understand why.
I wouldn't like to be on the receiving end when they let loose