PDA

View Full Version : Internal pilot recruitment

future-pilot
23rd May 2014, 13:03
Is anyone aware of internal pilot recruitments in UK based airlines?

I know only about thomson and easyjet, what about ryanair? Will they allow you to transition from cabin crew to cadet pilot once you have a fatpl?

thanks in advance

student88
28th May 2014, 23:47
n.b. For those who don't know, for the third year running easyJet are part-sponsoring selected candidates who have worked for the company for longer than 18 months in any position (cabin crew or office staff etc) to become FOs. Many modular pilots are now joining easyJet as cabin crew with an ambition to get on the scheme. There is a lot of competition however and no guarantee that easyJet will carry on the scheme in the future. The successful applicants contribute circa £6k with the company sponsoring the majority of the cost of the AQC and Airbus type rating. You will then be employed by CTC as flexicrew for 1 year before being able to apply for a permanent contract.

Might be worth considering for some..

bex88
29th May 2014, 19:53
Thomas Cook

kjsharg
22nd Jun 2014, 18:09
Does thomas cook offer this also, what are the chances of being picked? and im assuming you would have to be kept on after the summer period to have a chance with this.

JB007
23rd Jun 2014, 08:12
Jet2 does too...

flying free.LEVC
23rd Jun 2014, 13:13
Soo....the big question...

If you apply to one of those airlines to work as a cabin crew first in order to get those 18 months of experience, would you be telling them during the interview that you are a qualified pilot or ATPL student??

Having the ATPL licence means that you are passionate about flying and know much more about aircrafts than all those 19 years old...

But on the other hand, they might not hire you because you might be there to jump to the cockpit as soon as possible...

What would you put in your cv? maybe only the ppl licence?

magicmick
23rd Jun 2014, 13:29
Be honest on your CV and in the interview, if they didn’t want employees from other departments to move onto the flight deck them they would not have an internal pilot recruitment scheme.

The biggest problem might be how well you perform in the non flying job, for instance good ops officers are hard to find, if you work hard and perform to an excellent standard in ops your boss might not want to let you go.

Conversely if you’re no good then you won’t get a good recommend for the flight deck job so you have to be good enough to get a good reputation and decent recommend from your boss but not so good that your non flying boss can’t do without you.

speed_alive_rotate
23rd Jun 2014, 13:54
In your opinion guys, which job would help you the most to get onto the flight deck, cabin crew, Ops, or any other??? Be great to hear from people who successfully went through this route, and with which company. Thanks

P40Warhawk
23rd Jun 2014, 18:41
FFL, Just be honest in your CV and when you get invited.

Myself I finished flight training last September.

I just finished Cabin Crew training in an European airline. But at job interview I was very honest. And told them that I would like to experience this job and take that experience with me within the same company to grow up to FO CPT etc. And then you dont lie.

Besides. CC is also an very interesting job. And I cant wait to start. Most probably next week. The company I work for is really nice. And an airline where I dont have to pay for own TR. And decent T&C's.

speed_alive_rotate
23rd Jun 2014, 19:12
P40, did they give you any idea as to your chances of progression, and would you be favoured over other DEP who apply for flight deck positions?? Also what sort of time frame are you looking at? Fair play, hope you really enjoy the new job and its one step closer to the flight deck!!

P40Warhawk
23rd Jun 2014, 21:21
Yes I would get priority for Flight Deck position. What exactly the time span will be is not clear, but we get some new aircraft in our fleet in the next 12 months. So will see.

Till that time I work hard in the position as CC.

josemarb
24th Jun 2014, 22:05
Ryanair doesn't. There are lots and lots of pilots waiting for a call and nothing.

Maximum I've got is a couple of emails from CAE stating that FR has declined my CV again.

4Screwaircrew
25th Jun 2014, 10:32
Within Jet2 I've flown with people who have been in ops, crewing, flight planning as well as cabin crew, we also have the pilot apprentices who get a look at most of the ground departments prior to flying.

Stonebaked
25th Jun 2014, 10:57
I applied for a job on the ground with Jet2 a couple of weeks ago but I haven't heard anything back.

speed_alive_rotate
25th Jun 2014, 11:13
@4Screwaircrew, Great information many thanks.
If the person is applying for a position on the flight deck coming from say Ops for example, in what way would the process differ from a DEP? For example would they have to undertake the same aptitude testing etc or would it be straight to a Tech Interview/Sim ??

flyboyweeksy
25th Jun 2014, 12:18
I was in operations and left to do my license, the goal was always to be flight deck and my bosses/colleagues knew this. I built up a good reputation in my area and the company, and eventually got the chance to progress to the right seat of an A320 with them. Regardless if I was wanted to be kept in ops, I wouldn't have stayed as when you're dream is to fly the last thing you want to do is sit on the ground. Good luck to all finding jobs :ok: