PDA

View Full Version : Ear Infection Recovery time

Mustang_Viper
22nd May 2014, 19:10
Hey!
Im a fighter pilot, flying the F-16s. Ive developed ear ache in my left ear some 10 days back. Ive had pain killer injections as well as antibiotics fr abt 3 days and fr the last 3 days im on oral medicine, again a combo if pain killer and antiobiotic. Just wanted to know how long would it take to recover completely and me being fly-worthy? Any usefull tips to expedite recovery?????

Radgirl
22nd May 2014, 21:11
I am afraid you re not going to get much useful advice without a diagnosis. I presume you have seem and ENT surgeon and have one. Earache can be due to many causes, including tonsillitis, dental decay etc etc. Even if it is an infection of the ear, there are many variables.

Your doctor is best placed to advise you

Good luck

Mimpe
3rd Jun 2014, 12:29
Assuming the outer ear is not inflamed ( easy diagnosis - just pull on it - if it hurts thats an outer ear infection) , a middle ear infection takes 7-14 days to clear assuming no complicating factors. A big problem in your part of the world is that so many possible organism will be antibiotic resistant. In Countries like the UK , Canada and Australia antibiotic responsivelnes is more likely.

Try to use a decongestant to accelerate ventilation of the middle ear.

You are fit to fly when there is no pain, and you can equalise, assuming you are using complying medications.

gingernut
3rd Jun 2014, 22:53
14 days with a cure, a fortnight without.

Radgirl
15th Jun 2014, 11:52
Sorry, a fungal infection is possible but certainly not likely. These drugs have very serious side effects so please do not follow this advice. See a doctor!

Winnerhofer
15th Jun 2014, 12:55
If taken orally, yes all conazoles screw up your liver but this is topically.
I only too well all the different types of otitis.
Doing sports in humid conditions mixed with SPF 50 dripping in your ears all contribute.
Important factor is diet.
Sugar and yeast cause a massive PH imbalance.

Radgirl
15th Jun 2014, 16:07
Winnerhofer

We have a saying:

When you are in a big hole stop digging

You have already admitted on another thread that you are just regurgitating treatment you received. Please stop

For all others, please ignore. This drug is not something to buy over the counter in the Middle East - even topically. As for the other comments, :mad:

gingernut
15th Jun 2014, 18:16
Ear problems do need sifting through by someone who is trained, and can actually have a look in your ear.

Fungal infections are common in outer ear infections, in which case you can buy stuff from the community pharmacist, (ours sell "Ear-Calm"). Other common causative agents of pain include bacterial and viral infections. There are some other rarer causes.

However, your symptoms are not suggestive of an outer ear infection.

I'm amazed that a fungal infection can be diagnosed "on line."

Get someone to look in your ear.

Chris Opperman
19th Jun 2014, 06:46
Have someone look in the ear. Incorrectly diagnosed and treated ear infections may lead to you permanently losing your flying license!