PDA

View Full Version : Duxford visiting

cessnapete
22nd May 2014, 09:51
I have just tried to get a slot for one of the D Day airshow days this weekend.
Not available I was informed, apparently the IWM has decreed that there will be no visiting/ parking for GA at any air show this year.
Flying Legends is the only exception, presumably as it's organised by Stephen Grey not IWM.
Seems an odd decision given that there is acres of parking, and never any ATC problems. It's never that busy, and if one accepts the CAA imposed restrictions on single runway usage due to the odd Tiger Moth pleasure flights, even the mass departure after the shows, has been inefficient but bearable.
Another win for bureaucratic nonsense over common sense?

Contacttower
22nd May 2014, 10:04
Yes I think so...

piperarcher
22nd May 2014, 11:36
Seems an odd decision given that there is acres of parking, and never any ATC problems

Not quite. I flew in to the Flying Legends show on the Sunday last year, and the departure system collapsed due to either a) some muppet with a big aerial transmitting across the DUXFORD AFIS frequency b) someone with a stuck PTT button who didnt have the sense to turn his (or her) radio off or change COM stations.

The end result was that a few big boys (turboprops heading abroad) got airborne, and then a line of planes, like a line of cars on the M25 sat there engines running for about 20 minutes or so. Duxford having realised the ATC problem was not going to resolve itself quickly, sent out a marshaller who hurriedly directed aircraft onto the runway, however in my view, rather unsafely as aircraft were being 'encouraged' to depart seconds after the previous one got airborne.

Oh, and the landing fee for aircraft was high. I recall the total price for my Wife and I + one PA28 was ~£130. Tickets on the door were around £25-30 I believe. Would I do it again if travelling by air was the quickest option, yes, but seeing as I live pretty close to Duxford anyhow, this weekend, and for the flying legends show I am just gonna take the car.

2 sheds
22nd May 2014, 17:57
the ATC problem

Do you mean AFIS - or ATS ?

2 s

Curlytips
22nd May 2014, 18:58
Cambridge recently sent out a mail suggesting they would be ideal for anyone visiting Duxford this year. Specially reduced landing fees and easily arranged transport. Might be worth checking with them? Their "flying community" is a free to join club with preferential rates. Try flyingcambridge.com or 01954 313105.:ok:

Cusco
22nd May 2014, 19:45
IWM spends a great deal of money on minibus hire and staffing logistics at fly in air shows .

Last year poor weather led to markedly reduced fly-in attendances at several shows and the consequent loss of revenue has led IWM to reconsider the whole aspect of the fly - in at air shows.

piperarcher
23rd May 2014, 08:20
Do you mean AFIS - or ATS ?

The ATS - Air Traffic Service - provided by Duxford is AFIS, so to me they are on in the same, particularly in the context of the OP's point.

The ATC AFIS service coming is was fine, and even though there were something like 10 minute slots and various reporting points one had to be at, the inbound part was very well manned, so its not all bad. It just couldn't be said that "there are never any ATC problems"

piperarcher
23rd May 2014, 08:22
Cambridge recently sent out a mail suggesting they would be ideal for anyone visiting Duxford this year. Specially reduced landing fees and easily arranged transport. Might be worth checking with them? Their "flying community" is a free to join club with preferential rates. Try flyingcambridge.com or 01954 313105

Or Fowlmere. They are inside the ATZ for Duxford. They aren't as big as Cambridge, and you would need PPR, but I have been there a few times, and its lovely airfield. I assume also the taxi ride might be a touch cheaper.

cockney steve
23rd May 2014, 10:09
IWM spends a great deal of money on minibus hire and staffing logistics at fly in air shows .

Last year poor weather led to markedly reduced fly-in attendances at several shows and the consequent loss of revenue has led IWM to reconsider the whole aspect of the fly - in at air shows.

That's as maybe, welcome to the world ofBUSINESS surprise, there's no handout, you speculate to accumulate and it's unrealistic to expect to grab all the cash with both hands, every year, where an outdoor annual event is concerned.

Local Round table hire a large public park every year and stage "Saddleworth Show" a full travelling fairground, plus numerous country pursuits demonstrated, from falconry to sheepdog trials,to a Fell-race.
All has to be paid-for as are the police, St. john Ambulance, road-closures (temporary car-parking) etc. most years, the returns , distributed to charity, are enormous (multiple thousands) an odd couple out of thelast twenty years, have been rained so badly that strawbales were split and spread to cover the quagmire and many vehicles needed towing off the field....those years they made a loss....but it didn't stop next year's show, nor did they surcharge attendees to cover last year's shortfall.
This looks like an ill-thout out, kneejerk reaction by organisers who are out of their depth. I would not bother to visit, as the message is clear, i'm not needed or valued as a customer.

Ds3
23rd May 2014, 12:03
That's as maybe, welcome to the world ofBUSINESS surprise, there's no handout, you speculate to accumulate and it's unrealistic to expect to grab all the cash with both hands, every year, where an outdoor annual event is concerned.
What a strange comment. The world of 'business' would dictate that, if a particular activity is loss making, you cease that activity and focus on more commercially viable alternatives. It would appear that Duxford did speculate, didn't accumulate, and therefore have chosen not to speculate again.

I agree it's a real shame they are not in a position to allow airborne visitors during the airshows, however I value Duxford as great airfield and a wonderful historical monument, and I would not expect them to conduct any activity that may put their financial stability in jeopardy.

To state that you are not a needed or valued customer as a result of this no doubt difficult decision that have had to make is nonsense.

piperarcher
23rd May 2014, 12:58

Far be it for me to get into the yearly financials of Duxford, and I know they do a sterling service running their museum and restoring aircraft. But last time I went, the place was ram packed - you could hardly move there was so many people stretched out all along the runway barriers. The admission prices, the rent from all the stalls, sales of goods and whatever, surely must mean they can man a small portacabin and a some minibus rides across the runway threshold.

I don't doubt that paying for all the display aircraft is a huge sum, and all the planning, and besides the stuck PTT issue on the day I went there, it was extremely well organised and executed, but making a huge loss on the incoming aircraft does surprise me a bit. The 'landing' fee was something like £80 for me and my Wife, plus as I have said an increased 'entrance' fee to the show. Its not like they are giving it away to pilots ;-)

Cusco
23rd May 2014, 15:25
I suggest you moaners take it up with the IWM.

Cusco