PDA

View Full Version : Handling Characteristics of Challengers

Trackdiamond
21st May 2014, 18:30
Any tips on handling characteristics of Challenger 604/5 and any things to beware of for a new pilot on the type with no previous jet experiene but EFIIS,FMS,and heavy turboprop co-joe?

Trackdiamond
24th May 2014, 07:34
Greetings.

Any comparisons with the CRJ family also apreciated.Issues and anomalies pertaining to its proline avionic suite also desired.
How does it compare to its more advanced sister CL605?

Thanks for any informative dialogues.Much obliged to this goldmine of a forum.

incipientspin
25th May 2014, 17:52
Hi Guys, this is just my 2p worth, after flying both the 604/5 for the last 3-4 years i'd have to say it's a very capable plane that does what it says on the tin and from a passenger perspective it is superb, from a pilots point of view (my own) it really is a flying pig, its slow to react, unrewarding to hand fly and has the most bizarre attitude on approach!
You don't flare on landing as so much as check the descent! despite what Bombardier tout about their wing not being problem i have personally never felt relaxed operating in wintry conditions, all i can say is be very gentle with rotation rates and when it comes to winter ops, check, check and re-check.

As for the proline avionics, both the 4 & 21 work well although the 21 is a bit fiddly with the DCP/CCP interface, i think it works better on other aircraft (i.e Hawker) I've had no problems with either but the 605 would throw its toys out when it came to the cabin entertainment and Airshow.

Overall Its a good plane especially for the pax but it's not a plane you would ever dare take liberties with as I don't believe it would suffer fools gladly.

Oldschoolflyer
25th May 2014, 19:21
Totally agree with everything that Incipient Spin has said.

imriozer
25th May 2014, 20:12
can you please explain :
but it's not a plane you would ever dare take liberties with as I don't believe it would suffer fools gladly.

incipientspin
26th May 2014, 20:43
Hi imriozer, when i say it's not a plane to take liberties with, i mean you only have to look at accident reports, recent and old and You'll see that if you try pushing beyond the AFM limitations it doesn't usually end well. (not that you should on any aircraft!) but in the case of the challenger i personally feel you are less likely to walk away from a bad choice.

Some simple examples: with even light tailwinds it has a real tendency to pick its ass up and try and wheel barrow, in a turbulent crosswind she can also be a sweat inducing handful!
All of the above are purely my own feelings and experiences, i'm sure there are plenty, more talented pilots that find it a doddle to fly!

Rcaf914
27th May 2014, 01:03
TD, first, congrats on stepping up to the Challenger as your first jet. I spent 8 years and 2500 hrs flying, instructing and examining on the Challenger series from 600, 601 to 604. Spent time flying with Bombardier and TC certification test pilots for the Challenger as well.

It is critical to keep the wings clean. Having said that, I had no issues during grim winter ops as long as I followed the AFM. Full shutdown to reset electrical/EICAS issues usually worked well. Although a bit of a dog in the climb, if the book says you can do it...it will. Word from the test pilots was never get slow... Most efficient range vs speed is @ M77. Most of the time you can go to 410 at AUW but the climb schedule says 250/M70. It just won't get there at that speed. Better off cruise climbing @ 300-500 fpm in VS and M74 or greater. It will get there...

Great cabin but windows a little low in the cabin.

Happy flying,

RCAF914

FerrypilotDK
28th May 2014, 01:05
Only 1300 PIC hours in 604/5 and 13000 total, so still learning.... But I love our 604. Reasonable range, a "lucky" one, with very few issues that have grounded us. Only once in two years... Climbs better than people say up to 33000, then suddenly fizzles out. But it is correct, climb at a lower rate and faster speed and it gets there!

I like the 605 screens better, but swapping between them and having iPads makes the 604 fine. In a way, the information is a little less cluttered on the smaller screens.

The wing is close to the ground, so no low wing cross wind landings.....but really, short runway and crosswinds in Iceland, turbulence and short runways in Italy, winter in Russia......make certain the wing is clean for take-off, but once airborne, seems to handle loads of ice without problem......and she handles everything, while giving the passengers a good ride and the FA a reasonable work space. Far better than Embraer or a Falcon 900, the girls say. We take it from Japan to South Africa to South America and far northern Canada, so all conditions.

Good luck!