PDA

View Full Version : How to answer this interview question??

davidbrent
20th May 2014, 21:06
Question I have been pondering... Let's say the interviewer asks you the following;

'Have you applied for any other airlines?'

Assuming you had more than one application on the go, do you think it's best to say that you don't, implying greater potential commitment and loyalty with the company who are interviewing you? Or do you be honest and say that you do have another application elsewhere. The latter might make you appear more in demand perhaps!? Not sure whether that is worth much in itself...

Been thinking about this interview question and not sure which way to go with it. Be interested to see what others think???

Straighten Up
20th May 2014, 22:33
I would go with "I applied for a couple of roles at the same time as applying for this, 1/2 of which have asked me to come for interview, although I feel that this role offers me X that makes it particularly of interest"

X could be company culture/roster schedule/bases/time to command etc which is relevant to that job.

If you are a first jobber then I can't think the airline would believe you if you said you weren't looking for any other roles. If you are already experienced then just consider how it looks if you are applying left right and centre. I think in that case you'd need to be able to give a good reason for multiple applications, like relocation to a specific place etc.

Best of luck

beadgalaxy
20th May 2014, 23:46
In my opinion, as much as one wants to think about the questions, they could be testing your honesty.

They usually know the answer before asking it, I have thought about the question and my answer would be:''I have applied to other companies and airlines where I meet the requirements for employment."

glendalegoon
21st May 2014, 01:07
tell the truth:

yes, I have applied to more than one airline. just like I applied to more than one college and have more than one alternate when I fly in tough weather.

Semper Paratus...always prepared.

OhNoCB
21st May 2014, 12:59
I too was not quite sure how to answer this question but I was asked it at a recent (successful) interview. At the time I was applying for everything left right and center because my current company will be cutting a lot of staff including me later this year so I was trying to find just anything else.

My answer was truthful if slightly concealing.

I replied that yes I had applied to AirlineABC and I had not received any reply from them regarding my application in either a positive or negative manner to date.

for AirlineABC I chose an operator that I had applied to that operated similar aircraft for a similar operation.

I found the reaction to this nonchalant and no further questions were asked, although I had set myself up for easier answering if I was asked why them etc.

Torque Tonight
21st May 2014, 13:22
If you say no when the answer should be yes they'll know that you're either a liar, an idiot or a kiss-ass. Always a good idea to stick to the truth in interviews.

Any interviewer will smell sycophantic fictional drivel a mile off. He probably drinks in the same pub as the interviewer for XYZ airlines and has the rest on speed dial. If you get rumbled telling porkies that's not going to look too slick.

Stage5
21st May 2014, 16:42
The simplest answer is just to be honest. Experienced recruiters will sniff you out one way or another.

Bealzebub
21st May 2014, 18:34
Yes definitely be honest, however just as with food it often isn't just about the quality of the ingredients, but also the presentation.

If you have applied for other jobs (and after all why wouldn't you) they certainly aren't going to know who they are. An answer that smartens up the edges and keeps everybody happy is your version of: "Yes, I have applied to a couple of top quality airlines including this one. This company is my first choice and I would consider myself fortunate to become a part of this company and develop my career here. I appreciate that competition is intense at this level and for that reason it is wise to keep a couple of irons in the fire." In one sentence you have told the interviewers that you hold their company (and by default them) in high regard. You are looking for a career and not a job. You appreciate the competitive nature of the market, but you feel confident to be in that segment of it. You have considered options and other routes to the attainment of your goal, if they aren't wise enough to snap you up there and then.

cefey
23rd May 2014, 04:48
Depending on your qualification and position... The bottom line is to be honest.

If you are 747/380cpt with xx.xxx hours on type, amazing record, etc, etc., then you might say, "No, this is THE job i wanted and you are the only company I have applied for".
If you are cadet with 200TT and say "you are the only company"... well, they think you either lying, or you are stupid for lying all your eggs in one basket (in todays work-market). Either way, that may cost you a job.

Being honest is usually the best way to go.

wangus
2nd Jun 2014, 14:06
Sensible answers to a sensible question for once.

My one (UNSUSSESSFUL) interview was very relaxed. The 2 questions I remeber:
1) Why us?
2) We have a lot of autocratic older captains very set in their ways, who can be difficult. How would you feel fitting in with tem?