PDA

View Full Version : Flying over London, c'est possible?

Nim19
19th Nov 2001, 18:01
Hello people!

Yeah, so i'm asking whether you can fly anywhere above or around london, in a single engine plane. Obviously you've got the Heathrow and Gatwick flight paths, making obvious restrictions, but what about near london city aiport.

And also, i live in west kensington, and at night, say about 1 in the morning i can hear light aircraft passing overhead, so does this mean that we can fly there, but only at night???

let me know your thoughts!

cheers

nim

FlyingForFun
19th Nov 2001, 18:33
Nim, I was asking similar questions a while ago.

West London is all Class A. As a basic PPL, you'd have to get Special VFR, which apparently Heathrow don't mind doing as long as you don't interefere with their traffic, weather permitting of course.

East London is Class D, you can request a Zone Crossing, although I'm led to believe that Thames don't like giving this.

The big problem, in both cases, is that in a single-engined aircraft you have to be able to glide clear, and with the TMA above you at 2500' I don't you'd find a single-engined aircraft that can do this. So the short answer is, if you want to fly over London, do it in a helicopter!

(Waiting to be corrected by those who know better than me....)

FFF
----------

A Very Civil Pilot
19th Nov 2001, 20:23
When I was instructing, I used to regularly bring Trial Lesson flights into London. On Saturday afternoons, and Sunday mornings, London city is closed and its airspace becomes class G. Give a call to Thames Radar just to let them know what you're doing, and there should be no problem. Heading west up the Thames from the Dartford crossing, I used to go as far as Canary Wharf/Millenium Dome. As for gliding clear from 2500' or below, there was London city & Blackheath as my main options. To be honest I was always tempted to do a T&G at London city!!

No idea what the situation is now,post Sept 11, but I regularly hear light singles overhead home at the weekends (Greenwich).

Red Four
19th Nov 2001, 23:17
Contrary to above posting, London City control zone is now Class 'D' full time (24hours a day). If Thames Radar is not working, the controlling authority is Heathrow Approach.
Thames radar usually helpful on allowing zone transits, so long as it does not delay or jeapordise their primary function of EGLC traffic, and IFR traffic to EGKB. It's all a matter of timing to avoid the traffic bulges.... ;)

A Very Civil Pilot
22nd Nov 2001, 13:44
I stand corrected- it's been almost a year since I last flew over London. But, as of yesterday, light aircraft are still flying over London. I guess it takes a bit more co-operation than it used to.

Super Stall
22nd Nov 2001, 15:26
Is there anymore information you lot would like to volunteer to a possible al Qaeda operative and his crop duster !!!.

If Nim lives in London and has a license he should know the rules.

Have we learnt nothing yet. :mad: :mad: :mad:

QUERY
22nd Nov 2001, 22:48
Well said, Super Stall.
Although Nim may be nice but dim, it is unbelievable that helpful advice is being proferred on this topic, without any concern about who might read and use it.
There is a serious risk that, if they do not act responsibly, the privileges (remember- they're not rights !) of private pilots will be withdrawn indefinitely. Being realistic, that would be a big vote-winner in many areas even without the current concerns! Unfair and disproportionate, maybe, but against the anxieties of the electorate and draconian emergency powers of the state, GA is FA.

Nim19
22nd Nov 2001, 23:58
*From a colleague with ATC experience*

Gentlemen,

I would imagine that the think tanks of an international terrorist organisation retrive details about targets and operational areas via sources other than this poncy mailing list.

If you really believe that not talking about the 'top-secret' (note the sarcasm)information on the London air-space laws will help prevent an attack, you are more naive than the US airport authority that still will not x-ray passenger baggage.

Following 30 years of terrorist activity (ie. IRA), UK airspace is the among the most protected in the world. To keep it that way, we must be calm and rational. Super Stall and QUERY seem to be in a state of blind panic, perhaps a few months out of the pilot seat might be helpful, guys, you know, just to relax a little.

Regards and Happy Flying

John W Henry

Nim19
23rd Nov 2001, 00:29
Come on guys, stop overreacting:

Ok so john shouldn't have called the mailing list poncy, I wouldn't have joined if it was.

All I wanted to know is whether I could fly over london for mere pleasure.

The negative consequences of my request which super stall and query boy seem to suggest are twofold:

1) Putting the idea of flying a single-engine plane into the al-qaeda's 'head'.

Come on, you don't think they would have thought of this already, they're not complete micro-brains. And taking a crop-duster plane over london? Are you THAT naive Stall? Do you honestly believe that ANY london air traffic authority would allow it?

2) The al-qaeda using the subsequent advice given.

Once again, naivety! :rolleyes: Whilst I use this opportunity to thank people for the replies, even beginning to suggest that the al-qaeda would this website as their prime resource is absurd.

Fear is what the terrorists are trying to instill into our lives, so Stall and Query are letting them win. Common sense however, should prevail, and I'm sorry but you guys are taking it to the extreme.

Nim

ive348
23rd Nov 2001, 01:31
Taking it to the extreme is exactly what these terrorists did on 11 sept.
Remember the ads from the last war? "The enemy is listening!" It would be naive to think that this site is /was not frequented by people with less than peacefull intentions.