PDA

View Full Version : North Sea Pilot Progression

Helihopeful89
19th May 2014, 13:27
All,

Could anyone please advise the route of progression for a pilot within a company such as Bristow? I am curious as to the time in years and flight hours.

As I understand it would go:

First Officer
Senior First Officer after approx 2 years.
Captain after approx 5 years.

Whats the next step after captain?

Would being a non university graduate hinder any promotion as a pilot?

I work offshore at the moment but have my PPL and am looking to slowly move in to the commercial side of my training. The reason I ask the above questions is just an attempt to get a better understanding of the structure of your industry.

I really appreciate any help and I apologise if this question has been asked numerous times.

Many thanks,

G

cyclic
19th May 2014, 14:54
Whats the next step after captain?

Years of doing exactly the same thing day in, day out! There is training and management of course.

I would grab one of the pilots the next time you're offshore and have a chat or, arrange to go to one of the companies for a visit. If you fly from Aberdeen, one of the companies beginning with B would gladly show you around the next time you come in.

SimonK
19th May 2014, 20:57
Hi Helihopeful,

Your timing looks good to me, it's slightly different for me (hopefully!) as us ex-mil jump a few hurdles, but as an ab-initio I think you're spot on. However it all depends on timing and flying rate, at the moment you need min 3000hrs (across all the N Sea operators) to be a Captain. Dependent on flying rate this could take longer than you may think to achieve. I've flown with captains who achieved command in well under 5 years from joining the company, but also heard of other unlucky souls who fell foul of a downturn and took ten years plus through no fault of their own.

I'm a lowly SFO myself but the progression seems to be: SFO, Captain, Line Trainer then either TRE or Dep Chief Pilot and onwards and upwards.

Go for it btw, it's a great and challenging job that allows you to lead a lifestyle largely of your own choice. I've seen several know it alls on here criticise the job without ever having done it themselves, I've flown the N Sea for around a year now and been really surprised what a challenge it has been at times!