PDA

View Full Version : Mistys brief guide to Darwin. 2014.

TheMist
18th May 2014, 00:38
Nothing majorly new to other posts on here about Darwin, perhaps a post to keep things concise and current…

I went on March 20. Air Frontier had just finished hiring the week before.
The long range weather forecast was for 2 weeks of solid rain at the start of April, the last of the wet season.

Most if not just about all the Backpacker Hostels are in the city, I stayed at the YHA hostel. Expensive for what it is, however a quiet non party hostel and a nice TV room next to room 35 upstairs! Transport to/from the Airport via the Shuttle costs $16 one way, or $29 return, however there is considerable time delay dropping off and picking up others. A Taxi will get you there in less than 15mins, at your convenience, with a cost of $25-29 on the Credit Card (slightly less for cash), one way. You can go either straight to the GA side, or to the main terminal to kick off your walk around.

If you walk from the main terminal to get to the main GA area of companies, walk across the main zebra crossing from under the awnings, then through the trees and follow the path to the right and the signs to the CASA office, about a 10mins walk, and continue past to Vincent and Kakadu. Alternatively, from the Terminal walk along to your right following the footpath down to the Bus coach area and then dogleg through the small roads to get to the line of other operators like Air North, Pearl and Helicopter companies.

Presuming you are new to the area do not underestimate the heat. I was there early morning, 830am sweating like a pig within 5mins, and I mean more sweat than if I had been for a run! I would recommend as odd as it may seem going just after lunch as a breeze picks up to help with keeping cool. Definitely wear a wide brimmed hat, take plenty of water, and take a break in the Terminal. If you have the luxury of a car, take a change of shirt.

Operators:

Kakadu

Vincent
(porta-building, one end has a large sign for the Freight Office, other end with no signs is the Admin/HR offices)

Chartair
(will spend time with pilots if you’re there between 4-5pm)

Paspaley/Pearl
(next to the Air North hangar, not the GA side which is for Engineering)

Hardies
(prefer you to send CV via email)

JFC Air Charter

Tiwi
(just a check in Office, it is part of Hardies)

Air Frontier

Arafura
(no office on the field, but based in Darwin)

Territory Air Services

Careflight

Air North

Helicopter operators

tfal
18th May 2014, 03:02
Nice summary. Thanks for helping everyone else out.

Did you have any luck?

TheMist
20th May 2014, 10:58
With 2500hrs, I had a interview and sim-ride with Vincent and Air North and was unsuccessful with both. Either it was me, or the stiff competition from the mostly Brindabella candidates.

206greaser
20th May 2014, 11:51
You had an interview and a sim ride with Vincent? What fleet? Where did you do the sim ride?

Cheers,
Greaser.

TheMist
21st May 2014, 10:23
Yes, Saab340, Melbourne

206greaser
21st May 2014, 11:21
Oh you were part of that group?

ZK-EBC
21st May 2014, 12:24
FYI If you show your ASIC i believe the airport shuttle is $10 each way.

Also i hear that Vincent have told recent applicants that recruitment
is on hold for the time being, due to "company changes". Whatever that may be.

Bones13
23rd Jun 2014, 06:06
Anyone in Darwin hiring at the moment?

TheMist
23rd Jun 2014, 06:11
I would assume they have the pickings of ex Vincent pilots if they are?

Left 270
23rd Jun 2014, 14:53
Still a little bit about from the usual operators If you've a few hours. Wouldn't say that there is anything for a cleanskin. Nothing outside of DN tho unless C208 endo'd and 1k+TT

mcgrath50
31st Jan 2015, 04:34
Do you guys think 1 week is enough or too short to drop off resumes and also what is the chances for success going that time. Is Darwin a right time right place kind of gig or strictly seasonal?

Wherever you go up north, move there. Get a room, get a job to support yourself and door knock every 1-2 weeks. 1 week is not enough unless you are very lucky. Your experience sounds like a lot, and in boom years it is. But at the moment you will have competition from guys living in town. Good luck.

The Green Goblin
1st Feb 2015, 04:10
2500 might sound a bit, but it depends on what it's made up of.

WillieTheWimp
3rd Feb 2015, 01:47
1 week is enough to get around and say gday to all the operators in Darwin for sure. Though I doubt you will be offered a job in that time. It's hard to say really. If your multi is charter on either a chieftain or baron, then that will make a difference. Otherwise you may be looking at a single first. I know others are saying just move up to Darwin however I wouldn't be leaving your job if your currently flying unless you have a job offer, not with how slow it is at the moment. If your not flying then by all means drive up and make the move.

Depending on night and IR renewals you may be close to filling some contract requirements with Chartair or Katherine av. I don't know what they are exactly but could be worth looking at.

Hope that helps.

717tech
5th Feb 2015, 19:39
Don't think I would ever ask my employer for permission to send out a resume!

All the best mate... Unfortunately it's a game of extreme patience.

iPahlot
5th Feb 2015, 20:29
Thought I'd update this thread a little.

Operators:

Kakadu
New starters mostly go to Jabiru.
Generally 400 hours plus.
Airvans, 310's (or should I say 310...), 402 and Caravan.
I hear mixed reviews about "progression"

Vincent
(porta-building, one end has a large sign for the Freight Office, other end with no signs is the Admin/HR offices)
Is no more :(

Chartair
(will spend time with pilots if you’re there between 4-5pm)
Will hire newbies, recently picked up one or two pilots from what I hear. Great training.

Paspaley/Pearl
(next to the Air North hangar, not the GA side which is for Engineering)
Paspaley and Pearl are two different entities.

Paspaley flies the Mallards, not much movement and not really worthwhile applying if you're not appropriately qualified. (Lots of Float time)

Pearl, Flies the King Airs and Metros. More of 1200+ hour job place.

Then there is also AeroResuce, which is also owned by the Paspaley company. Requirements as above.

Hardies
(prefer you to send CV via email)
800+, MECIR, ATPL's minimum
Start on Singles, move up to twins incl. turbo prop (Metro and Conquest)

JFC Air Charter
Not sure how busy they are now a days, but saw they had a 2nd 402 in Darwin, so might be growing a bit.
Office down near the back of the small hangers. (I forget the street name).
They have singles and twins. Pilots and staff that work there are very friendly.

Tiwi
(just a check in Office, it is part of Hardies)

Air Frontier
One of the bigger Darwin operators out there now with many remote bases. Office down near Fly Tiwis.
Will hire newbies, though prefer some experience at least.
Singles through to twins.

Arafura
It looks like the owner is concentrating on setting up Groote Eylandt, not sure if the Darwin ops weren't much of a success.
From what I hear around the traps they've got two cherokee six's there but doing 1 or 2 flights.

Territory Air Services
Now has an office next to Hardys, CP is a nice guy and will give newbies a start. Good hours, but no twins.
I think they've picked up one or two pilots recently.

Careflight

Air North

Howard Hughes
5th Feb 2015, 22:32
Note: If you wait until March to head North you will miss out! :ok: