PDA

View Full Version : USAAF airbase murals in WW2.

Hangarshuffle
17th May 2014, 21:30
Some good stuff about the murals, and their slow disappearance, which I suppose is understandable. Time, British weather, indifference.

US airmen flew to save Europe; now the race is on to rescue their artwork | World news | The Observer (http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/17/artwork-yanks-left-behind)

The Guardian never tows the pink gin and Jag line, but I like its slant to ordinary servicemen, if I'm truthful.
There is, or was a WW2 mural in a pub down Union Street in Guz I always liked- wonder if its still there>? A bar scene from about 1945. very evocative as I recall.
We never did much in the way of nose art in the RN FAA. Way too stiff, the mob, about these sort of things. But the Americans and the USAAF were really good at it, brilliant in fact.
* I like the discussion thread afterwards as well = Pruners letting rip at some clever clogs>? Enjoy.

Boudreaux Bob
17th May 2014, 21:54
When One stands on the airfields and considers what those days must have been like....it is a sobering experience. When based at Tesside flying out to the Ekofisk, I was reminded of a Man that was always my Hero, who had gone to Canada and joined the RCAF before the USA entered the War. He wound up at Tesside flying Lanc's into Germany and did 30 Missions.

He passed away a few months ago at age 94.

Shame so much of those old places have simply gone to dust and ashes.....yet very much like the Men who did such amazing things all those years ago.

It is Armed Forces Day here.....it is good to remember those who are serving and who served in the Past.

MPN11
18th May 2014, 16:25
In front of the main control tower at RAF Waddington is a wartime pillbox. Inside, by each firing slit, were paintings of the view with ranges to various landmarks out on the airfield and beyond.

Still quite pristine in the mid-80s. I wonder if they're still there?

Hangarshuffle
18th May 2014, 20:36
I don't know, must be difficult to take the bricks apart, spoiling the picture as you do so. Maybe only money will be the driver to saving them for the future - probably be worth something...? Sad though, that they are slowly going.