PDA

View Full Version : Surge in new UK helicopter facilities

helihub
16th May 2014, 16:35
What is it with UK hangars, heliports and helipads in the last few weeks? All these are new...

St George's Hospital, Tooting - new helipad opens
Bristol Royal Infirmary - new helipad opens
Great North Air ambulance - new facility at Newcastle
NPAS Durham - new hangar at Durham Tees-Valley
NPAS Exeter and Devon Air Ambulance - new facility opens at Exeter Airport
Glasgow Heliport - moves 2.3km from SECC to Govan
others...?

Just wondering whether it's easier in times of restraint to get capital projects approved on the ground, but any sniff of "new helicopter" would have gone down less well. Not that any of these need a new helicopter imminently, but is it a coincidence that so many infrastructure projects are happening?

Simplythebeast
16th May 2014, 17:07
Are these facilities provided by the County Air Ambulance Trust, ( Registered Charity 1057063)?
They run a weekly National Draw as one of their fund raisers.

helihub
16th May 2014, 23:59
Simply, I believe the first two named in my list were assisted by the HELP Appeal which has the charity number you refer to. That provides assistance for EMS helipads and AFAIK is run by Midlands Air Ambulance, charity 1143118

My list was not looking at how they are funded but merely remarking on the surge of capital projects that did not involve buying a helicopter. Granted some of the AA charities have been buying helicopters more recently and of the nine helicopters owned by UK EMS charities, six have loans against them