PDA

View Full Version : ULAS Needs Help !

CoffmanStarter
15th May 2014, 15:27
It looks like some poor s0d/student has been given a large box of old pictures to sort and identify :eek:

Judging by a quick exchange on Twitter ... many of the pictures aren't dated or annotated ... which is a bit of a shame really !

So here is the picture ULAS Tweeted this afternoon looking for some help :ok:

Calling all Ex-ULAS rangers: where and what year was this unmarked picture taken?!

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af162/CoffmanStarter/imagejpg1_zpscdf2df27.jpg

It's quite possible there will be other pics coming if the ID'ing of this one is a success ...

Best ...

Coff.

Leon ... They'll get round to Tiger Moth days I'm sure ... so be patient :E

Haraka
15th May 2014, 16:12
Could it have been at Abingdon the day after Beags was posted out? :E

Wrathmonk
15th May 2014, 16:28
Not wishing to wave a red rag at a bull (or beagle:E) but I wonder how many of those with the white flashes actually went on to serve...

Instructor/staff mate seated second in from the left has managed to keep his "must maintain the steely eyed killer look regardless of the pranks going on around me" face quite well....;)

NutLoose
15th May 2014, 16:36
He might have just left prior to it being taken, as there is a large incontinence wet patch far right

cargosales
15th May 2014, 17:48
Twas ever thus

:E

Roland Pulfrew
15th May 2014, 17:53
Twas ever thus:D:D

Is that N*** H****** on the front row with the 'tache? That would put it in the early 90s?

Vendee
15th May 2014, 19:20
Could it have been at Abingdon the day after Beags was posted out? :E It doesn't look like Abingdon.

CoffmanStarter
16th May 2014, 08:32
So any advance on "possibly early 90's" and "doesn't look like Abingdon" ...

BEagle
16th May 2014, 11:20
Mid-90s as I'd left ULAS by then and was back on the VC10K. Also it isn't Abingdon as it had been squaddified by then.....:sad:

NH was a co-piglet in 1991 during GW1, so by the time he'd done his captain's tour and CFS, that would make around 1994 at the earliest.

Judging by the rain, probably some Summer Camp photo - in the days when the RAF could still afford deployed UAS Summer Camps.....:uhoh:

Wrathmonk wrote: Instructor/staff mate seated second in from the left has managed to keep his "must maintain the steely eyed killer look regardless of the pranks going on around me" face quite well.... ;)

Nope - that's Colin 'Sillius Soddus' - he's probably just fallen asleep and is dreaming of his earlier times on Beverleys!

Evalu8ter
16th May 2014, 12:01
Reckon it's between me leaving in 92 and holding in 95 post BFTS. Could be CJ on the left, ME is still CFI.....

Never heard CS called steely eyed before!

CoffmanStarter
16th May 2014, 18:27
BEagle, Evalu8ter ... Many thanks Gentlemen for being so helpfull :ok:

I've also had a PM from a new PPRuNer (who hasn't posted yet) who is in the pic and has offered to help ... so I think my best course of action is to drop ULAS a line via their Twitter feed and hopefully persuade whoever has been given the task of cataloging the "unknown" pics to join us and pick-up the lead with this thread :)

In the mean time ULAS have published a few more "known" pics on Twitter ... I'll post these shortly for general interest and mirth ...

This all started when I asked ULAS if there was a pic of the 1974 Summer Camp at RAF Manston ...

CoffmanStarter
17th May 2014, 10:45
I've dropped ULAS a line as mentioned above ... let's wait and see :)

Here are a few other "known" provenance pics that have been published ... sadly quality isn't too good as some would appear to be photos of photos ... possibly pics displayed at Town HQ.

Anyway might jog a few memories for some :ok:

RAF West Raynham Summer Camp 1977

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af162/CoffmanStarter/BWxnLbhIYAEh8pW_zpsaca6de66.jpg

RAF St Athan Summer Camp 1978

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af162/CoffmanStarter/823a3a72-ae4a-47ec-ab5e-4c4190ca2a3c_zps54d46a7b.jpg

RAF Abingdon New Year Camp 1979

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af162/CoffmanStarter/BXWjZrWIAAA0iYH_zpse80a84f0.jpg

I understand that ULAS are to move to RAF Wittering (been on the cards for some time) ... which seems a long way from London ... especially if you are a University of Kent student ! Still no public news on the new Town HQ location.