PDA

View Full Version : Airship Colours?

Nopax,thanx
21st May 2002, 12:22
Coming back from Reading on Saturday evening, saw the four airships in formation advertising the new 'Lotto' draw.

Most impressive, I've not seen that many airships together at one time before; but it got me thinking....they were all in an overall red colour scheme - how would this be applied to the covering on an airship? And, of course, how would it be removed again afterwards - as it's only for a short time, I am guessing that it's some kind of temporary finish, which can be removed afterwards....anyone in the lighter than air fraternity able to enlighten me?

FlyingForFun
21st May 2002, 12:55
The airships are currently based at White Waltham. I believe they will be there for a couple of weeks before heading back to the their base (but I can't remember where that is...)

I was told by someone at White Waltham that they are actually white, and have had a red covering placed over them. This, apparently, adds a considerable amount of weight! But it can be removed once this job is finished.

This was third hand, so lacking a bit of detail... would be good to hear something more definite.

FFF
------------

Nopax,thanx
21st May 2002, 14:16
Yeah, I reckon that it might be some sort of plastic film; then it would be flexible enough to stay in place, and also be easily removable when the time comes - I did see two of them landing at White Waltham as we drove past...it makes an interesting sight! Dunno if they fly every day, this was early evening, sort of the time of day when you'd be thinking of buying a ticket......

Fullback
22nd May 2002, 06:20
Yeh, you're all correct.
Because the airship will have many different clients (hopefully)over the year it's important the colours and banners are easily interchangeable.
When I worked for them (Virgin Airship and Balloon Company) the airships were covered in a thin decal plastic except for 2 big side rectangles, where large, light-weight cloth banners were attached and a small square on the underside of the gondola above the flight deck also for a banner.
I can remember 3 days and nights in the hangar at White Waltham with room heaters on, cherry pickers and individual hairdryers trying to get the plastic off in time for another contract!!!
Ps. Great bunch of people over at VABC. Hope they are well if anyone reads this....

Nopax,thanx
22nd May 2002, 12:13
Thanks for info!!! Now I can impress my friends with my new-found knowledge :D :D :D

.....I just need some friends!

blind pue
25th Jun 2002, 09:36
Sorry I am so late to this post,

Fullback is correct about the 'Decals',
the 'Lotto' contract is now complete and the 4 ships have returned to their base at Wolverhampton.
2 have been deflated and will have their 'Decals' removed next week, where as the other 2 have been cleaned up for new jobs later this month.

Fullback
VBAC is now 'The Lightship Group' (TLG) and I am sure you will be happy to know are still in good health. :cool: