PDA

View Full Version : Dimonium Air

centreofpressure
15th May 2014, 04:36
Hi

Anyone ever had anything to do with Dimonim Air? I noticed a job ad on the AFAP website that advertises salaries "well above award wage".
Wondered if someone knows aproximately how much above the award they pay and since the job is in PNG, which award they are referring to?
Also wondered what they are like to work for.

Thanks

Boeingdream
15th May 2014, 04:38
Not sure on the wage. But they operate in West Papua, Indonesia.
Not PNG.

Haventaclue
17th May 2014, 03:32
Went to Indonesia last December for an interview after receiving positive feedback from Andy? as he was suggesting he was keen on my experience for captain.
Ended up being there with 25 other dudes after spending quite a lot of dollars. Was asked to plan for a week in West PNG but what he didn't tell us was he was picking and choosing just a couple. The rest if us told to rearrange flights home at our expense (again).
Received an email from them as did most of the other pilots that we were being offered a position and would be contacted soon for start dates. (Still have the email if you want to read the rubbish)
Haven't heard jack from them since. Don't know if it was just me but am thinking a few other applicants are in similar position.
Even sent them an email after this latest job ad asking what happened to the position you offered me in December.
True to form no reply.
My suggestion is think carefully before you fork out $1500 for a return airfare and some accommodation. Be prepared to hear lots of crap.

Skydiveandy
18th May 2014, 08:06
Hi centreofpressure

Maybe a quick email to them would answer all of your questions,

But please make sure you check their name first

As Boeingdream correctly put it, they operate in West Papua Region / Indonesia and I am fairly sure they are referring to the Oz awards as the add was placed on AFAP.

Send me an email and you will get all of the answers you need.

PS : As per the instructions in their add.. If you don't meet the minimum requirements, then don't email them. I have it on very good information that their is a long list of email addresses that are now sent direct to trash can because they either didn't read the advert properly or just choose to ignore the instructions.

Andy

lilflyboy262...2
18th May 2014, 11:16
I heard their head of check and training was a real :mad: to work for! :}

Naw, all joking aside, great company to work for. All the crew are great guys.

Flown around the world and the pay is very good. Better than a lot of airlines in fact.

Not going to pull the spelling nazi card as my father still calls the company "Domino's" but it might help if you get the location right. Specially when the page makes it pretty clear where it is. (3 times in fact.)

@Haventaclue, :ugh: Your name really sums it up. Suck it up princess. There are a lot of guys in Australia that have been on hold for a lot longer than you with companies like Virgin with the same level of communication.

Skydiveandy
18th May 2014, 11:47
Haventaclue -

Its interesting to note that most of those that came to the interview were told their would be positions in the future, that had not changed.

All of those that received that letter are still are on the list to join our company bar one now!! We even recommended a few to another company so they got positions quickly, these guys obviously joined the other company. The rest are scheduled for batches 3 and 4

Batch 1 took a lot longer than we expected to get processed due to red tape and Batch 2 has just had government approval and are expected in country in the next month. Batch 3 immigration application is being processed now.

Batch 3 will see 17 of those interviewed in November working here. Thats 17 out of 22 interviewed. 3 have gone to the other company we recommended. That narrows the last 2 to batch 4 which would have included you. :ugh:

Since that round of interviews last year most of us have been in Papua nearly 5 months straight now with little to no internet and certainly little time.

The fact we were looking for more pilots is for batches past the interviews of last year, and specifically for Captains. Out of those we interviewed last year half were copilots. Our current requirement as the advert suggests is for experienced Captains only.

If you don't have patience then the last place you ever want to be is Indonesia.

Andy

Skydiveandy
18th May 2014, 12:29
I just did a quick ring around thinking that maybe we were out of line,

Another Papua based company - Pilot waiting in Jakarta for past 6 months for KITAS "Work Permit" (No Pay) Another pilot waiting in Australia for Work Permit last 5 months after signing contract.

Qlink - Active hold indefinate - 1 email stating not this year
Cathay - on hold 18 months - 1 email

After just going through the entire inbox since January each and every one of those that we interviewed were replied to within 2-3 weeks "delay due to being in Papua and less than ideal internet"

As said, Indonesia is not a place you want to be if you expect things to be fast or run smoothly. As those that work here will attest - Indonesia time is totally different to anything anyone has ever seen before.

Andy

kingRB
18th May 2014, 13:56
Whats the security side of things like for a position like this?

Get to hear a lot of stories of the supposed dangers (non aviation related) of working in this region and as I don't personally know anyone working around there, not sure how much of this is talked up or actually legitimate.

lilflyboy262...2
18th May 2014, 14:44
The horror stories do have some fact behind them. There is always a bit of tension bubbling below the surface and some days you can sense it.
But on a day to day basis, everything is fine. Any reports of activity and the plans just don't go. It's really that simple!

Skydiveandy
19th May 2014, 05:35
I think what Captain lilflyboy262...2 is trying to say is " that if there are any reports the PLANES dont fly" ;)

He is completely correct - we have contacts throughout the area that advise when and when not to fly. Most of the tension is between the locals and not aimed towards foreigners, especially the pilots that deliver their food and supplies.

Not to say it hasn't happened in the past but generally speaking its ok. We are still cautious and have stopped flying to places because of reports of internal violence.

I haven't personally flown on the other side of the border in PNG but I am told its a lot safer here. Maybe some PNG guys could enlighten us.

Andy

Killer Loop
19th May 2014, 10:57
I'm surprised lilflyboy262...2 can't answer all the questions with his extensive global bush flying experience. Having said that from a PNG prospective (having spent close to 10 years here, starting on a C206, then DHC-6, now DHC-8) PNG does throw up plenty of security challenges as well flying challenges (a bit different from Botswana as I think the Okavango only differs by 800 ft from highest to lowest point from memory).

Without going into details as long as you take sensible precautions (I don't drive at night any more if I can avoid it as the police will inevitably pull you over where the fun can really start.....guns, beatings, bribery, corruption etc), keep your wits about you, respect the nationals (you are a guest) and generally treat others as you would like to be treated things are fine.

Obviously if you divert too much from this advice a whole world of hurt awaits you in The Land Of The Unexpected. There are too many stories of those who have diverted from this advice and it hasn't ended well and I myself am a work in progress......it took me the best part of my first 5 years to understand this with some painful lessons along the way.

And before Geeup chimes in, he has had some painful lessons too in the dim and distant past.:}

lilflyboy262...2
19th May 2014, 11:27
300ft Killer :} Unless you count the 500ft hill between Maun and Kasane

Still not sure if that was a pot shot or not :sad: Haven't been to PNG so wouldn't know... Currently in Papua though....

kingRB
19th May 2014, 13:43
OK, none of that sounds too bad. Certainly no worse than if you went into the wrong part of a community here in oz and acted like a d*ckhead.

I'd heard more along the lines of pilots flying in somewhere on a job and getting hacked up by groups coming out of the jungle.... Again, sorry if this is ridiculous, but just stories i've heard here in Australia.

Skydiveandy
19th May 2014, 13:51
Thanks Killer Loop,

A great insight of whats on the other side of the border..

Respecting the locals goes without saying "it should at least", but most of the rest is different here as far as the violence is concerned.

There was a female pilot from another company last year that had her phone and wallet taken when she was out by herself at the local waterfall.. She was approached by a small group of local men after swimming. All that happened was they took the phone and wallet, no more..

Not walking alone at night, taking normal precautions is prudent all of the time.

But is also a place that my 72 year old mother and father are coming to visit in a few months.

Andy

Killer Loop
19th May 2014, 23:25
No disrespect intended Andy but a female or anyone going to a waterfall on their own is not being sensible. That is crazy! A female going to a waterfall on her own here would be unthinkable. In PNG she would be lucky to get away with just losing her wallet and phone.

I used to go to the beach in Wewak on my own. A private beach on villagers land. I used to go there on my own and was the only expat there alone. The reason I could do this confidently is that I had an extremely well trained 60 kg Doberman with me. Anyone who came within 50m of me or my stuff received a warning "look" from Sheba. That was all that was needed and I never had any problems but without Sheba I wouldn't have dreamed of going to a remote spot on my own. Of course there are problems here, rape, murder, car jackings on a daily basis but all I'm saying is that if one is sensible the chances of these terrible situations occurring can be minimised or greatly reduced.

pilotchute
20th May 2014, 01:30
Hello Killer,

I am interested in how to get a gig in your so called "paradise". Hahaha

mcgrath50
20th May 2014, 02:14
Lilfly or Andy,

Are you able to confirm/clarify what pilot chute said about co pilots on hold. I missed out on the first round and have been checking eagerly for another co-pilot advert.

Sounds like you are all having a blast! Lilfly you are certainly getting quite a collection of work visas in your passport! :ok:

Skydiveandy
20th May 2014, 05:47
mcgrath50 - There have been some delays by the immigration office which as mentioned the other day have slowed things down somewhat. The first batch are only just being checked to line now..

Gotta love Red Tape

Drop me an email and i will let you know whats happening

Andy

snoop doggy dog
20th May 2014, 10:58
Love the hold file comparison between CX and QLink, to an operator in Papua! :p

Needed a good laugh today :ok:

mcgrath50
21st May 2014, 00:52
Drop me an email and i will let you know whats happening

E-mail sent, thank you :)

pilotchute
21st May 2014, 22:29
Snoop,

I don't think Andy was comparing the company to CX or Virgin. It was the fact that CX and Virgin have huge HR departments but still only see the need to email you once a year if not less. If big established airlines will only email once a year how can you expect any different treatment from anyone else?

Haventaclue,

I sent you a pm which it seems you can't be bothered to reply to. That was a genuine offer of help but your silence would indicate that what you have written in your post isn't really the truth. I'm guessing your just bitter about not being picked up in the first round. Sorry but that's life and if your upset about having to spend 1500 bucks on accommodation and flights to get to an interview then you won't be going to many places around Australia looking for work either.

I have spoken to some of the Dimonim new hires and they seem to think that it was made very clear to them that they "might" have to go to Papua for a week. Knowing this they booked flights accordingly.

Porkins
2nd Mar 2015, 08:29
I Enquired about the position and conditions last year, response time was quick and was told up front about the wait time, was even nice enough to put me in touch with another mob in country if I wanted something earlier.

:ok:

inpilot
3rd May 2015, 14:24
I have seen ads about dimonim for experienced caravan captains? Any news if they will hire direct entry captains or first officers anytime soon? I ve heard they are a good company and pay well too. Ive got close to 1700 total time but not on a caravan. Any chance in the near future, coz i have been trying for the last 2 years with them.

Skydiveandy
5th May 2015, 03:50
Inpilot -

Yes there have been numerous opening for experienced pilots with time on type. Without a type rating you cannot be hired as a direct entry Captain.

We are currently running our Copilot ground school for 20 local Indonesian pilots.

At this point in time we are only hiring Indonesian copilots from our partnered flying school...

Feel free to PM me,

Andy

j3pipercub
8th Jul 2015, 14:59
Yay! The circlejerk continues!!!

heli1980
18th Nov 2015, 06:27
how long is it not taking to get a visa approved by the DGCA andy?

RadioSaigon
18th Nov 2015, 08:46
It's Not taking a year. Quite. I'm waiting on my 3rd or 4th renewal right now. 2months and change seems to be about the going rate for the minute.

Skydiveandy
20th Nov 2015, 20:37
Sorry for the late reply..

As my colleague has said it will take time..

Like him i just completed my 6th renewal and it took 3-4 months with 12 months warning..

There are issues surrounding Kitas's / RPTKA work permits that are outside the control of any company.

Send me an email and stay in touch,

Andy

sarge75
27th Nov 2015, 04:01
Love this thread.

Staff jumping to defence of their boss while just claiming to work in the area.....