PDA

View Full Version : Microwave on AOC OPS BIZ Jet

Waldi
13th May 2014, 16:48
Dear Colleagues,

does anybody know if there is a requirement to use only AC approved kitchen equipment like water kettle, microwave, coffee machine etc.

Where can I find something if there is a regulation, or is it legal just to use any Nespresso machine or something else??

Thank you for your help

Waldi

LASJayhawk
13th May 2014, 17:57
I'm not sure what the regs are in GB but I would have concern with:

Microwave Ovens: Possible for any leakage to interfere with systems like DME, GPS, Rad Alt, and weather radar. I just don't know how "clean" the signal produced by one is. That being said, I have seen a few home type microwaves in US general aviation A/C. If your regs allow it I would advise a test flight to make sure it wont interfere with the avionics.

Coffee Pot: Home type coffee pots heat the water to 91-96 C So the odds are it will boil the water at inflight cabin altitudes, making bad coffee. :yuk: Also, if you ever dumped the cabin pressure at altitude, the coffee in the pot will most likely flash-boil and if the pot is glass it might shatter.

FrankR
13th May 2014, 22:45
My opinion is that you can use these items as "loose equipment" and without approval (FAA) as long as you can carry them onboard and use the plug on the device and plug it into an installed socket. Your water kettle may pull a lot of amps, so I'd plug it in on the ground, with both engines running (not the APU or a GPU) and see if it works...

Cheers!

FR

Jet Jockey A4
14th May 2014, 12:35
Well I can tell you that recently our coffee brewer was replaced in one of our Globals and yes it was a "certified aviation version", most likely the same brewer that could be bought in a store for less than $200 except the "aviation version" was replaced at a cost of $7500 USD.

Waldi
14th May 2014, 16:48
….But is it required to have certified electrical kitchen equipment on an EASA AOC OPS Airplane???

specialbrew
14th May 2014, 18:44
This is an interesting topic....... So what can be plugged into a socket legally? anything that does not exceed the rating of the socket perhaps?..... Vacuum cleaners, kettles, microwaves, coffee machines, chargers?

I have never heard of any regulation on this matter.

Fossy
14th May 2014, 20:28
….But is it required to have certified electrical kitchen equipment on an EASA AOC OPS Airplane???

Just to clarify. There is no difference between a private or commercial registerred aircraft, also no difference between most of the Aircraft Registries (EASA, FAA, BDCA, CAACI, IOM, TC, PCA etc.)

If supplemental equipment is installed on aircraft than it shall be done with approved data only (e.g. STC, Form 337).

His dudeness
14th May 2014, 20:58
supplemental equipment is installed

The keyword is installed. We raised the question a few years ago regarding a Nespresso machine. Our authority did not really answer...so we decided against it and bought an STCed 35.000 USD coffee brewer that is a pain in the butt...

Waldi
14th May 2014, 21:56
Thank you Fossy!!!:)

MikeNYC
15th May 2014, 01:09
HD: Was this machine an option at the time and did you price it out? http://www.nespresso.com/pro/pdf/machine/entretiens/nbcs_aerolux_fiche.pdf

His dudeness
15th May 2014, 05:18
Hi,

no wasn´t available then.
I was talking about the regular ones, for home use - as it would not have been physically attached to the airframe (our TIA is mounted on 2 rails bolted to the galley) the discussion was wether a not bolted to the airframe machine would be "installed". We didn´t want to take chances so we opted for the TIA machine. Cessna did not offer enough AC power at the time too, so we we would have to spent a similar amount for the beefed up AC version STC as we did for th e TIA coffee maker...(which is a 28V version)

deefer dog
18th May 2014, 15:44
Our a/c was delivered from the manufacturer with a commercially available coffee machine. It is listed as installed equipment.

The coffee machine does not have a serial number....there's a clue for you.