PDA

View Full Version : RAF officer jailed...

Biggus
13th May 2014, 16:36
BBC News - RAF Lossiemouth officer Jason Fletcher jailed over MoD £90,000 fraud (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-27395399)

Tankertrashnav
13th May 2014, 17:06
Dont know what his terms of service were, but possibly another 15 years salary and let's say a further 25 years pension up the Swanee.

Expensive!

NutLoose
13th May 2014, 17:13
One hopes he doesn't leave his shoes outside his cell door to get cleaned.

Stupid fool, but he's not the first and won't be the last..

Red Line Entry
13th May 2014, 17:16
My understanding is that even in circumstances such as this, it is very, very unusual for someone to lose their pension. The argument goes that the individual has provided good service up to the date that the offence was committed, therefore an entitlement to the pension remains.

racedo
13th May 2014, 17:51
PIKEY...........FFS Why couldn't have seen his term out and joined a defence contractor and made some real money rather than petty cash.

Warmtoast
13th May 2014, 18:47
According to another report here: Ex-RAF man jailed over MoD fraud - Forfar Dispatch (http://www.forfardispatch.co.uk/news/scottish-news/ex-raf-man-jailed-over-mod-fraud-1-3409696)

Fletcher was part of a unit tasked with educating and informing civilians

Whatever that means, but something for the military to do?

NutLoose
13th May 2014, 20:32
In Afghanistan? Looks like they educated him, not the other way round.

adminblunty
13th May 2014, 20:53
If some sun tanned bloke pitched up in my wee Scottish town with a pile of dollars looking to change them I think I'd phone the police, muppet. Reminds me of Flt Lt Egan, he of the dodgy German car scam.

Stuff
13th May 2014, 21:20
Fletcher was part of a unit tasked with educating and informing civilians

Whatever that means, but something for the military to do?

You could describe it as hearts and minds, educating and informing or plain psyops but yes, definitely a valuable role whether performed by military or civilians.

Roadster280
14th May 2014, 21:01
Given the the MOD Police did the investigation, why would he be prosecuted in a civilian court, rather than brought before a court martial? I would have thought a CM would have been more appropriate for offences carried out on operations; not to mention the example factor.

NutLoose
14th May 2014, 21:19
I note the BBC States RAF Officer as in serving, but the other link states EX RAF Officer

Laarbruch72
14th May 2014, 22:43
Roadster:

The MoD police are a civilian police force. He was charged with fraud and referred to a civilian court as it wasl a civil offence. Courts Martial tend to be those offences investigated and tried wholly by the military.

NutLoose
14th May 2014, 23:04
How would you court martial him, he was a civilian when arrested. Surely that then becomes a civilian police matter?

Roadster280
15th May 2014, 01:07
I got the impression from the two articles that he was caught on return to UK, but only left in 2013. He was certainly serving when he committed the offences. If they came to light before his exit, then CM would be appropriate.

That said, as an officer in HM forces, I don't think he could be reduced to the ranks, unlike the US forces.

vascodegama
15th May 2014, 06:07
I seem to remember that , other than for strictly military offences, the services do not have an absolute right to try the accused by CM and that the CPS (or whatever it is north of the border) must agree to allow any CM process. In some cases they say no.