PDA

View Full Version : Captain heart-attack on approach to Cannes/Nice 11.05.2014?

Trim Stab
11th May 2014, 19:56
I was descending towards Cannes this evening around 1730z when the aircraft behind us (C-FCMK?) declared an emergency and requested vectors for Nice because the Captain was suffering an apparent heart-attack. Anybody know more?

Spooky 2
11th May 2014, 21:05
Well we don't know what age this pilot was or whether he was the Capt or the F/O, or at least I don't know. During my career I saw two pilots die while on the flight deck. One was a 51 year old 777 F/O and the other was a 44 year old DC6 Capt. Both appeared to be a excellent health. Age alone seems to be a poor indicator of those who would suffer the ultimate health issue.

ExSp33db1rd
13th May 2014, 21:08
A friend had his Captain die on the roll-out after landing at New York.

2 of my colleagues collapsed and died at a relatively young age, i.e. before 40. Not on duty fortunately, this was despite 6 monthly medical exams, and those two took regular exercise, jogging, etc. very seriously.

I take heart from one of my Flt. Eng's. who reckoned that the medical prof. change their minds every few years, and when they decided that lying in bed, drinking beer and eating potato chips was the way to go, he was way ahead of them ! Lived to retirement.

Hotel Tango
13th May 2014, 22:31
We can all relate stories of colleagues dying on the job but that doesn't answer the OP.

Paracab
13th May 2014, 22:44
Not everyone dies as a result of a heart attack either. Cardiac arrest finishes everyone mind.

Hotel Tango
14th May 2014, 10:46
Cardiac arrest finishes everyone mind

Well, that depends too. As one who personally experienced it, I'm still here 15 years later. I was very lucky to be in the right place at the right time. A few minutes more and it WAS over & out! Not knowing exactly how long my heart had been stopped, my wife was warned that I might be brain damaged. She replied that she probably wouldn't notice the difference :hmm:

silica
14th May 2014, 10:52
Do any airlines carry defibrillators for such occurrences on the flight deck?

Globally Challenged
14th May 2014, 10:55
NJE carry AEDs

Paracab
14th May 2014, 11:09
It'll get us all in the end HT!

Sop_Monkey
14th May 2014, 11:42
I worked for an Asian company for about 5 years. I pushed for these to be carried on board the aircraft. I came up against the argument, if it was used and the patient died they were scared the company might be sued. After 4 years of explaining they would surely be sued if one wasn't carried on board when needed, I gave up. The mindset of the imbecile.

They had a habit of working against foreigners.

Hotel Tango
14th May 2014, 15:15
:( Thanks for the "spoiler" Paracab ;)

Trim Stab
19th May 2014, 07:21
Registration likely to be C-FLMK (CL605), a regular visitor into Cannes.

Yes, that would be the one, shortened to CMK by the controller.