PDA

View Full Version : Transport Security Programs

nomorecatering
11th May 2014, 12:20
Does an operator (ie owner pilot) of a privately flown Citation, it's not in CHTR category or anything, have to supply DOTARS with a Transport Security Program document. The regs indicate that it has to be done given that the "air service" is flown by a jet.

Is this a requirement for all turbine operators or just pure jet? A Kingair 350 is somewhat larger than an Eclips.

The Comm Law website says a document on a spread sheet would have to be sent to them, but then what, do they scrutinise it and report back if they are unhappy with some part of it. I gather a fee is payable.

Are you grounded until you receive your certificate of compliance?

YPJT
11th May 2014, 14:52
If you are operating privately then it is not a "service". I stand to be corrected though.

compressor stall
11th May 2014, 23:39
There are only definitions of "domestic air service" and "international air service" neither of which would appear to exclude private operators.

My bush lawyer understanding of the regs is that you need one unless the authority (DOTARS) advise otherwise in writing.

LexAir
12th May 2014, 05:32
AVIATION TRANSPORT SECURITY ACT 2004 - SECT 12

Who must have a program
(1) The following aviation industry participants are required to have a transport security program:

(a) an operator of a security controlled airport;

(b) an operator of a prescribed air service;

(c) a participant of a kind prescribed in the regulations.

(2) The Secretary may, by written notice given to an aviation industry participant, permit the participant to have more than one transport security program.

(3) The notice must specify the operations or locations to be covered by each program.

(4) If the participant has more than one program, the participant is required to have all of the programs specified in the notice.

"prescribed air service" means an air service prescribed in the regulations for the purposes of this definition.
"air service" means a service of providing air transportation of people or goods, or both people and goods.
AVIATION TRANSPORT SECURITY REGULATIONS 2005 - REG 1.06

Prescribed air services
(1) For the definition of prescribed air service in section 9 of the Act, an air service of any of the following kinds is prescribed:

(a) a regular public transport operation;

(b) an air service in which a jet is used;

(c) an air service in which an aircraft with a certificated maximum take-off weight greater than 5 700 kilograms is used.

(2) However, an air service is not taken to be a prescribed air service if the Secretary declares, by instrument in writing, that the air service is not a prescribed air service.

OZBUSDRIVER
12th May 2014, 08:55
My guess...drill down on the exact meaning of the word "service".

An interpretation is you cannot supply a service to yourself. Are you providing a service driving yourself to the airport as opposed to taking a taxi. You, as the owner, would not allow anyone on to your aircraft unless they were personally known to you. However, you would still be required to provide a manifest to customs on inbound international flights as per the AIP.

I would have a good giggle if you did submit a program....how DO you restrain yourself if you exhibit terrorist-like actions?

methinks "service"= hire or reward.