PDA

View Full Version : Minimum seat weight

Murungu
10th May 2014, 05:12
Can anyone tell me what they put under the seat to meet the minimum seat weight? It needs to look legit if a checkairman inspects it.

OvertHawk
10th May 2014, 08:26
You don't say what type you're talking about.

One word of warning - check the flight manual carefully - many modern helicopters have crash-worthy, downward-stroking, seats which prohibit placing anything underneath them!!!

If your type is is not subject to such a prohibition then i've seen people use sand-bags, lead ballast-weights (sometimes simple gym weights) etc. It's very important to make sure that they are properly secured otherwise they can easily be a loose article risk to the controls.

OH

aa777888
10th May 2014, 11:13
In the R22 I've used both lead dive weights in a scuba weight belt and sand bags. Both work, and for 50lbs worth both leave plenty of crush space under the seat. I like the dive weights on the belt better, though. Easiest to carry to or from the helicopter, takes up the least space and not subject to springing leaks. I'm a lightweight so it's a necessity for me when solo :)

Murungu
10th May 2014, 20:13
Appreciate the info.

EN48
11th May 2014, 13:10
For a similar but different purpose, I purchased a roll of lead flashing from a local hardware store and cut it into sheets about 5x7 in, stacked these together and wrapped in a plastic material secured with plastic banding. Made several different weights (10, 15, 25 lbs) to be able to fine tune the total weight. Each about the size of a book with varying thickness. Shape can be adjusted if a rectangular shape doesnt fit.

John R81
12th May 2014, 09:36
Travelling solo, a collapsible camping water container under the opposite seat. Ditch the water and carry the empty container when pax/cargo join. Refill for final empty leg. Prevents loss of payload when needed:ok: