PDA

View Full Version : Selection of Reverse - Embraer 175/190

PJ2
9th May 2014, 22:01
Question:
For Embraer 175 or 190 pilots, how long after touchdown is the selection of reverse made?

I'm familiar with a lot of other aircraft but not the Embraer so I am not familiar with the actual reverse-selection, but it seems to take longer, (up to 9 seconds after touchdown) than other aircraft I've flown, which are typically 2, maybe 3 seconds after t/d before selection and deployment is indicated.

Is this normal?

PJ2
14th May 2014, 19:20
I see there are no replies to my question so perhaps I could ask those who fly transport aircraft in general:...

What is a reasonable time for reverse thrust selection & depoyment after touchdown?

I note that there are some mechanical and electronic "gates" on all aircraft which the selection of reverse thrust must go prior to physical deployment of the reversers and ability to increase thrust post-deployment. Given this, the selection > availability of reverse isn't going to be say, one second. But should it be less than say, 8 seconds for example?

In-flight Performance Advisory Information (for Boeings) assumes the use of reverse thrust but the timing isn't mentioned, (although I haven't yet checked certification standards).

Thanks.

Piltdown Man
14th May 2014, 20:36
On the E190 you can select reverse as soon as soon as you have weight on the mains - plus two hamburgers (or elephants, thousands or whatever you count in). But generally I don't use reverse nor do I use Autobrakes. That's because I don't need the former and the latter system is poorly designed (in software terms). On limiting/over-speeds/contaminated/deficiency situations then of course they'll be used and also for practice. But when you have have such a slow approach speed, they are really just there for show.

renard
15th May 2014, 14:21
As stated above by Piltdown, you can selecte reverse as soon as the main wheels are down.

Typically I woud say that the reversers are moving before the nose wheel is down and are completely deployed at or around nose wheel touchdown.