PDA

View Full Version : QIAE

120kcruise
7th May 2014, 13:54
I am a student at the pre mentioned school, heard today from the director that the hangar has been sold. Where does that leave me now that the new owner requires them to vacate.
Having paid my fees upfront where do I go now to complete my training. All advice greatly appreciated.

Old Dodderer
7th May 2014, 14:00
I am also a student at this institution. Heard the same talk. I think my fees are lost. Bite the bullet looking to AA to finish quals

120kcruise
7th May 2014, 14:02
Looks like we've all been tanked.

DUXNUTZ
7th May 2014, 14:58
Who is QIAE?

offhandblackhand
7th May 2014, 16:50
Sorry to hear about you losing your coin. He always was a tanker.

VH-XXX
7th May 2014, 23:44
DUXNUTZ says without thinking; Who is QIAE?

Let me google that for you (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=qiae&l=1)

DancingDog
8th May 2014, 00:13
I hope that the figure in your username isn't what you forked out upfront :eek:

Widewoodenwingswork
8th May 2014, 05:06
I'm sorry to hear that mate. I hope there's a good outcome. Make sure you keep a good record of everything, letters, correspondence, invoices etc etc. It may just help in getting your money back if it comes to that.

All the best.

Fris B. Fairing
8th May 2014, 05:28

What did the Director tell you about your future with QIAE apart from the hangar being sold? Haven't they been planning to relocate to Maroochydore anyway?

MakeItHappenCaptain
8th May 2014, 08:05
We built this city...
We built this city on Rock and Roll...:cool:

hiwaytohell
8th May 2014, 21:19
Sorry to hear about Tank. However I doubt either he or Gail would have deliberately scammed anyone, they have been battling away for sometime and their dream of a shiny new hangar was probably a bit too much for them.

Old Dodderer & 120Kcruise you should be able to transfer to AA or CASC, and both have the ability to waive your fees (as these are only about 20% of the cost the State Government pays them). And by this time of the year they would have had some drop outs so should have places.

It would be even worth calling ATAE.

Under the rules there are hardship provisions that these institutions must also consider.

Go and talk to them first and explain your situation.

Dangly Bits
10th May 2014, 13:26
Are the doors still open? Are they operating?

Progressive
11th May 2014, 01:19
To become a registered RTO they would need to retain sufficient funds or insurance to cover student fee refunds (This is one of the standards for RTO registration) . I suggest you ask them directly what will happen to your fees. If their response is unsatisfactory contact the QLD VET regulator for advice on how to proceed.
As a VET student your fees should be protected and their will be a procedure to get them back.

Flapsaddle
11th Aug 2014, 08:32
Guys

I hear it is all over. QIAE have been wound up by the court last Friday.

Jack Ranga
11th Aug 2014, 11:24
DONOT PAY UPFRONT EVER, FOR ANY FLIGHT TRAINING, ANYWHERE :ugh:

Ovation
11th Aug 2014, 11:51
It's tough out there......

Aviation firm crashes over unpaid wages

Scott Sawyer | 9th Aug 2014 8:39 AM

THE Supreme Court has given the green light for creditors to step in at a Sunshine Coast-based aviation company now officially in liquidation.

Queensland Institute for Aviation Engineering, established at Caloundra Airport in 2000, had its death knell sounded in Brisbane yesterday after employees took action over unpaid wages.

Independent Education Union of Australia's Queensland branch secretary Terry Burke said employees had approached the union after claiming they were owed almost $180,000 in unpaid wages and superannuation.

"The QIAE left employees no other alternative in the face of non-payment of nearly six months' wages to make this application for liquidation," Mr Burke said.

"While little payment of wages can be expected from the company's assets, the liquidation order does mean that employees can now apply for assistance from the Federal Government's GEERS scheme."

A Brisbane-based accounting firm was reported to have been appointed as official liquidator, meaning creditors, including the Sunshine Coast Council, will move in to retrieve what they can.

Councillor Chris Thompson said QIAE owed council $200,000 for a hangar project at Sunshine Coast Airport.

Cr Thompson said council had tried to give the local company, which provided training for about 60 apprentices, pre-trade and international students, as much time as it could to reconcile the debts.

"We tried to give them as long as possible to come good and balance the books," he said.

"Our position is we need to protect the public's money and ratepayers' funds.''

Institute co-founder Tank Macpherson said he was still in disbelief at the way things had unfolded.

"We don't deny that (staff being unpaid) but we had a workable plan. We knew money was coming in and we were going to pay them on a set date but that wasn't good enough," Mr Macpherson said.

"The union said I should've sacked them (staff)... but because I sold my wife's wedding ring to keep them employed, I did the wrong thing.

"I busted my gut to do the right thing by them."

Hasherucf
12th Aug 2014, 08:11
Jack Ranga it was engineer training not flight training. To be fair Tank was out pounding the pavement trying to make things right. But at the same time it had dragged on for some time