PDA

View Full Version : UK airline subbing to a Turkish one and flying to Greece??

nanna
20th May 2002, 22:11
Now what are the implications of his one then?

Esp when the flight attendants dont speak much english and the english "reps" are expected to undertake cabin service routines etc......

flyhalf
20th May 2002, 22:28
Which Turkish operator are we talking about? There are some ropey ones about but some quite decent operations which do a lot of flying into the UK anyway.

My understanding is that UK airlines have to obtain permission from the Department of Transport for any subs from foreign airlines if they cannot find availability from a UK airline so if whoever it is has done that they are OK.

The Greece/Turkey issue doesn't seem to be as much of an issue as it used to be. Both Onur Air and Pegasus have operated subs out of the UK before to the Greek Islands and other destinations without a problem, even positioning from Dalaman to Rhodes and Kos to do flights in reverse. Besides which there are regular schedules between Istanbul and Athens, so if the two countries really hate each other that much then their national airlines have a strange way of showing it.

The service issue is a different one. I thought it was OK for cabin crew from another airline to be aboard from a customer service point of view but they could only take part in the safety role if they were trained to the other airline's standards. Do I take it that you received formal instructions to the contrary then?

nanna
21st May 2002, 10:22
Didnt receive Formal instuctions to do that... however it was "suggested" as their crew dint know the product, money etc....

Anti Skid On
22nd May 2002, 10:30
By subs surely you mean the aircraft is chartered, as in crew and all, to fly the route. If so the crew are familiar with type.

As for Onur Air - good bunch of guys - flight deck open full flight to and from Turkey (from UK) and friendly guys, seemed a decent outfit (except the food sucked!)