PDA

View Full Version : Sikorsky rolls out CH-53K King Stallion

chopper2004
5th May 2014, 21:53
Sikorsky Unveils CH-53K Helicopter; U.S. Marine Corps Reveals Aircraft Name (http://www.sikorsky.com/About+Sikorsky/News/Press+Details?pressvcmid=5f8372c365dc5410VgnVCM1000004f62529 fRCRD)

Cheers

riff_raff
6th May 2014, 00:42
Nice piece of hardware. The blades look impressive, stiff with a very wide chord.

Boudreaux Bob
6th May 2014, 03:46
We large helicopter pilots are familiar with that don't you know?
:E

N707ZS
6th May 2014, 05:57
Are these all new or airframes from the bone yard?

Senior Pilot
6th May 2014, 07:07
We large (helicopter) pilots

Many a true word :p

Ascend Charlie
6th May 2014, 09:37
Could be looking through the bottom of my second glass of red after the second beer, but that tail rotor appears to be pointed a bit backwards - is that a new design to get some thrust from it, or an imagment of my figmentation?:bored:

Boudreaux Bob
6th May 2014, 09:40
All are new build.

Major use of composites.

pohm1
6th May 2014, 11:10
Not your 'figmentation'..

From the Mil forum
pprune.org/mil (http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/539201-sikorsky-rolls-out-ch-53k.html)

airvectors.net (http://www.airvectors.net/avskbig_2.html)

The first prototype was wrecked in a ground accident. Although the prototypes were built with a wide-span, low-mounted symmetrical tailfin, flight control problems led to refitting the second machine with of a distinctive new tail assembly, with the tailfin canted to the left by 20 degrees and an inverted-gull asymmetric tailplane mounted on the right. This change was used in production S-80s.

P1

Stinger10
6th May 2014, 14:14
Its an impressive upgrade to the H-53E which I flew for 4 years, and will serve the USMC well.

However, I have observation to the quote from the PM where he called it a "clean sheet" design when it was supposed to be an ECP upgrade to avoid a formal acquisition:

“This is a new aircraft,” proclaimed Col. Robert Pridgen, the Marines’ heavy-lift helicopter program manager. “We started with a clean sheet.”

So when was the last time the Navy (including USMC) actually competed a helicopter program?

H-60R (No)
H-60S (No)
CH-53K (No)
MV-22 (No)
AH-1Z (No)
UH-1Y (No)
VXX v.2 (No)

All these aircraft, with the exception of the H-60R/S, are NEW aircraft and the Navy didn't get any competitive benefit from any of the programs either in cost or capability. It highlights a pattern of behavior from the Navy, where its easier an more efficient to go around the acquisition process, work with the current supplier, and call it an "ECP" when it is actually a NEW aircraft.

Um... lifting...
6th May 2014, 14:33
but that tail rotor appears to be pointed a bit backwards - is that a new design to get some thrust from it, or an imagment of my figmentation?

The first prototype was wrecked in a ground accident. Although the prototypes were built with a wide-span, low-mounted symmetrical tailfin, flight control problems led to refitting the second machine with of a distinctive new tail assembly, with the tailfin canted to the left by 20 degrees and an inverted-gull asymmetric tailplane mounted on the right. This change was used in production S-80s.

Believe you fellows are talking about two different things.

AC seems to be talking about rotating the plane of the tail rotor about the vertical axis (looks like that to me as well, but I suspect it may be barrel distortion from a very wide-angle lens, especially since the tail rotor is a tractor), while pohm1 seems to be talking about rotating the plane of the tail rotor about the longitudinal axis (which has been done in a number of helicopters since the S-80 / CH-53E).

Most of the large pilots of helicopters with whom I am acquainted tend to complain they are unable to visually observe their chord width or stiffness without a mirror.

Lonewolf_50
6th May 2014, 15:29
Stinger:

SH-60R and CH-60S, later renamed MH-60R and MH-60S, were two different ideas. I won't talk to UH-1Y and Z, but I seem to recall that they were initially envisioned in a similar fashion, as a rework/upgrade versus new product. Why was this? MONEY! (And, being Naval Aviation's second class citizens, aka helicopter sorts).

a. CH-60S was part of the Helo Master Plan of the early 1990's, which replaced (after much gnashing of teeth) CH-46 Vertrep capability with a Black Hawk variant. Why the Black Hawk variant? Because using a Sea Hawk variant (and the issues with forward tail wheel and cargo requirements) would run about a million dollars more expensive each, and this crap went on during the Clinton Administration when there was no forking money unless you were Super Hornet or E-2 ... OK, I am not bitter, I really am over it. :bored:

b. SH-60 B/F to R was originally envisioned as an overhaul/depot level remanufacture program because ... wait for it ... there was no forking APN1 money, but there was repair money, during the Clinton Administration. As it turns out, a few old hands at the OEM suggested that a new buy would be cheaper and better use of scarce dollars. In the long run that turned out to be true, and became the ugly truth when the first few went to Troy and the Lot 13 drawings/baseline had some serious trouble being applied to bent old Lot 0 - 5 airframes initially in line for the remanufacture process. (Short answer: a lot of the holes didn't line up in major stuctural areas).

c. In due course, a deputy sec nav for acquisition reviewed the program and rightly decided to put it back into R & D. (A half a billion dollars or so after the R conception back in the 80's ... ) As had been previously suggested, the upgrade (without the wide chord blade, for various reasons) came out as new birds in the form you see it today. (Thank goodness!) More or less, a few details may be slightly off there.

Make the best of such money as is available. That's acq programs for real, versus theoretical / best case.

I ask you: consider how long the C-130 has been around, and the Huey.

Is there some pressing need to have a "new" helicopter?

I'll suggest to you that the industry, and the limits that physics / aerodynamics impose on helicopter performance have been reached, and any improvements are developed in marginal expansion of capability at significant cost differential.

Stinger10
6th May 2014, 16:58
best of luck to the future King Stallion drivers out there. The Big Iron is a very good helicopter and hopefully the BIGGEST Iron will be even better.....time will tell.

OFF TOPIC-

Thanks for the R/W Navy Acq history review. I was there for most of it as well...

A couple of comments.
I didn't see any mention of the word "competition" in your post, so....

REPEAT - When was the last time the Navy actually competed a helicopter program? :confused:

Rant / ON
All I am looking for is that DoD get the same competitive benefit as you and I get when we buy something. Competition is the single driving force for growth in any free market economy, and DoD is ignoring that benefit. It actually has to occur however to get the benefit and not in name only.

Its something every taxpayer should demand. When competition exists its the only way the purchaser can be assured of getting the best product at the best price, and the economy grows........ Econ 101 right.
Rant / OFF

I'll suggest to you that the industry, and the limits that physics / aerodynamics impose on helicopter performance have been reached, and any improvements are developed in marginal expansion of capability at significant cost differential.

Near as I can tell the helicopter industry is thriving and growing rapidly due to the commercial sector, and I contend it will not take 30yrs to develop a next gen. technology (aka: V-22). Check out the next HeliExpo and you can see where commercial helicopter development has actually surpassed military, technology-wise. If there was true competition in DoD you'd likely see significant and timely development in "vertical aviation" rather than the "marginal expansion of capability" that you observe. Competition would also push Industry to spend their OWN R&D instead of waiting for a DoD program to sponsor them like FVL/JMR. S-97 is being pushed without a gov't sponsor right now, but will never be fully developed unless it has the chance to compete for a program.

Is there some pressing need to have a "new" helicopter?

Other than this is a forum that supports R/W aviation, so we kind of view helicopters as a useful tool across a much wider variety of missions than traditional F/W aircraft. For example; I don't hear survivors calling for assistance from a bunch of strike fighters following a disaster. I'd suggest we'll never know if we keep recycling the same helicopters and not allowing industry to demonstrate what they have developed. By your logic we should still be flying WWII fighters instead of F-18s, F-22s, and F-35s.....

That's acq programs for real, versus theoretical / best case.

Lastly, we need to quit making excuses for a broken, lazy system and fix it. Acquisition exists for the warfighter and the taxpayer, not the other way around, and if "acq programs for real...." means they cannot manage a competitive environment and acquire the best product AT the best price, then we have our answer, don't we?:E

Lonewolf_50
6th May 2014, 17:48
By your logic we should still be flying WWII fighters instead of F-18s, F-22s, and F-35s.
Then you understand neither logic nor my post.

Point to consider: when you develop a rotor craft versus a fixed wing aircraft, per pound the cost is about 10X more for the rotorcraft. Maintenance and operations costs likewise much higher. I am not convinced we've seen the last move forward in using composites to resolve the weight issue that arise in each new model's development cycle. (Recent post about that neat little bird in New Zealand is intriguing and exciting.)
Lastly, we need to quit making excuses for a broken, lazy system and fix it.
As I never defended the system, your general call to action isn't anything we haven't previously heard on a variety of topics. See extensive discussions of V-22, nearly 25 years to IOC, and F-35, still in growing pains ... no program exists without money.

Old teaching point when I was a flight instructor.
IP: What makes an airplane fly?
Student: Lift, thrust, ...
IP: (Takes a dollar bill out of pocket and waves it): Money.

Please write your Congressman and complain about the Federal Acquisition Regulations. Let us know how you do.
Acquisition exists for the warfighter and the taxpayer, not the other way around, No ****? Your granny already knows how to suck eggs, thanks all the same. :ok: I will suggest to you that any number of our Congress-critters do not agree with your view, and see those programs as they regards jobs in their districts.

As interesting as S-97 is, it is worth recalling a technological leap forward, Comanche, died a horrible death in part due to being very expensive for the perceived value. S-97 may run into a similar wall ... but I join you in applauding Sikorsky in taking that move forward without training wheels.

As to the future, I am intrigued by V-280 Valor's potential as a variation on the tilt rotor theme. We'll see if they can take the concept and make it work.

Back to the King Stallion: still feelin' the love! :ok:

SansAnhedral
4th Dec 2014, 12:43
Is anyone surprised?

Sikorsky CH-53K first flight pushed at earliest to March - 12/3/2014 - Flight Global (http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/sikorsky-ch-53k-first-flight-pushed-at-earliest-to-march-406718/)

Sikorsky CH-53K first flight pushed at earliest to March
By: DAN PARSONSWASHINGTON DC
Source: Flightglobal.com
The US Marine Corps will have to wait until at least March for its new heavy lift helicopter, the Sikorsky CH-53K King Stallion, to make its maiden flight.

Originally planned for summer 2014, the King Stallion’s first flight was pushed to the end of the year when a crack was found in one of the four gear boxes of a ground test article. US Naval Air Systems Command now says the aircraft will enter flight testing “sometime between March and May next year.”

“First flight is driven by the current ground test vehicle (GTV) test events,” says Kelly Burdick, a spokesman for the navy’s programme executive office for aviation. “The GTV is currently undergoing powered ground tests to measure and verify the ability of the drive system, transmissions and engines and flight control system to safely fly the CH-53K helicopter across multiple flight scenarios.”

Engineers at NAVAIR and Sikorsky have made adjustments to the CH-53K’s main rotor gearbox to improve load distribution and have been retesting the fix “to ensure optimal performance prior to the flight test phase”, Burdick says.

“All issues discovered to this point have a technical solution and are typical of developmental programs - this is why we do this testing,” she says. “These tests, their data, and their schedule all drive the timeframe for first flight and discoveries are typical during this phase of testing.”

A Sikorsky spokesman says the static ground test article has undergone nearly 200h of testing, including subjecting the airframe to 115% of its maximum load. Sikorsky also has completed vibration and ultimate load testing on two conditions, in which the main rotors are overloaded by 150% compared to design loads.

The USMC has plans to buy 200 King Stallions to replace its entire fleet of smaller CH-53E Super Stallions. The CH-53K’s structural integrity was officially cleared for flight in April, then rolled out during a 5 May ceremony at Sikorsky’s West Palm Beach, Florida, manufacturing facility.

The King Stallion shares its designation and much of its exterior design with the Super Stallion, but is in reality a clean-sheet aircraft with new rotor, engines, transmission, cockpit, cabin and tail rotor. With a maximum takeoff weight of 39,900kg (88,000lb), the CH-53K will be the US military’s largest helicopter when it enters service. It will be capable of ferrying two Humvees at once compared to the CH-53E’s one, as well as make multiple combat drops on a single flight.

The USMC originally had plans for the King Stallion to enter service in 2015, but developmental delays have caused initial operational capability to slide at least until 2018.

Ian Corrigible
4th Dec 2014, 13:36
Sans,

No. As Stinger has already pointed out, the Kilo is now - designation aside - a completely new aircraft (with full FBW), and when the program's R&D costs were quietly escalated by $1.8 Bn (http://www.gao.gov/assets/670/662184.pdf#page=65) (39%) in 2011, it was clear the challenge of developing the West's biggest lifter had been underestimated.

I/C

Boudreaux Bob
4th Dec 2014, 16:08
Name just one Aircraft Development Contract that ever ran on Schedule and On-Cost that was run by the DOD?

Ian Corrigible
4th Dec 2014, 16:39
The F/A-18E/F Super Hornet, allegedly.

I/C

4th Dec 2014, 17:17
SAC, problems with a gearbox.......surely not:{

IFMU
27th Oct 2015, 17:40
Yahoo finance reports first flight:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/sikorskys-ch-53k-helicopter-makes-164602114.html

Lonewolf_50
27th Oct 2015, 20:22
SAC Press Release (http://www.sikorsky.com/pages/AboutSikorsky/PressreleaseDetails.aspx?pressreleaseid=321)

The 30-minute flight signals the beginning of a 2,000-hour flight test program using four test aircraft.

chopper2004
27th Oct 2015, 21:39
COuldnt upload image as was on train from Kings X and all lights went out so after leaving station :(:E

Here's Sikorsky official photo,

cheers

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g209/longranger/12047057_10154207230816490_9036366531018846962_n_zpsozqomfba .jpg

skadi
28th Oct 2015, 08:46
Impressive machine :D

w470re4nfyw

skadi

riff_raff
2nd Nov 2015, 02:53
A very impressive aircraft indeed. It would be nice if people would appreciate just how difficult a task it is to design and build such an aircraft.

Gregg
2nd Nov 2015, 11:10
Congratulations to the whole team. It is always great to see a new aircraft take to the air for the first time. Since the 53E was such a workhorse, I can't wait to see what this one will do!

The Sultan
4th Apr 2016, 18:45
From Flightglobal:

US Naval Air Systems Command (NAVAIR) reported on 24 March that the King Stallion recently demonstrated its advertised speed of 140kts with 15° angle-of-bank turns.

The one thing not impressive about the 53K is its apparent pathetic performance. Is Sikosrky sandbagging this thing to 140 kts so the S-97 looks impressive at speeds well short of the V-22?

The Sultan

SansAnhedral
4th Apr 2016, 19:28
Far more interesting to me was:

The cost of developing the aircraft has grown by 44% from $4.7 billion to $6.8 billion since 2005 and the procurement estimate for 200 aircraft stands at $19 billion.

44% is danger-close to Nunn–McCurdy

The Sultan
5th Apr 2016, 01:33
Sans

After the Canadian 92, this is not surprising. Probably just the start.

The Sultan

rotor-rooter
5th Apr 2016, 10:24
The Sultan might probably be only too familiar with all this, with his experience with the failed ARH programme cancellation?

The Sultan
5th Apr 2016, 14:48
Rotor

You are confused Sikosky did the multi-billion fiasco called the LHX as competently as they did the Can 92. The flaw with ARH was it was managed by the govt's LHX program who grew requirements until, to save themselves, they cancelled the mission. So now we have 64's doing scouting missions poorly.

One thing to note the 407 has better speed than the 53K.

The Sultan

rotor-rooter
6th Apr 2016, 09:10
I am not in the least bit confused, and my comment is specific to the Bell ARH program. You appear to be doing a bit of revisionist history here, as the blame for the failure of this project lies firmly in the hands of Bell.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_ARH-70_Arapaho

Oh, and the 53K has better payload than the 407.

Lonewolf_50
6th Apr 2016, 12:33
So now we have 64's doing scouting missions poorly.I am not sure that you can say that with confidence, nor that you have any metrics to support that statement. Note: I thought the Kiowa Warrior was a great asset.
Please don't ignore how much the UAV/RPV family of unmanned aircraft, of sizes down to hand launched, have intruded on the manned recon mission's rice bowl. I got a good look at that in OIF about ten years ago, and the UAV's role has grown since. FWIW, I suspect that ARH was a victim of bad timing ... +/- two years on that acquisition time line and I suspect it would not have been cnx'd.

SansAnhedral
6th Apr 2016, 20:27
Oh, and the 53K has better payload than the 407.

Thus far, I think 53K has demonstrated a max payload of...2 crew? :}

chopper2004
28th Mar 2018, 17:48
It has arrived today, in Germany ahead of next month's ILA,

cheers

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/800/40183683605_47c5c76c9e_b.jpg

Droop Snoot
28th Mar 2018, 19:02
Thus far, I think 53K has demonstrated a max payload of...2 crew? :}

Update:

news.lockheedmartin.com/2018-03-07-Sikorsky-CH-53K-Completes-Critical-Flight-Envelope-Expansion-with-36-000-pound-External-Lift#assets_20295_128428-117

36k lb external load :D

SASless
28th Mar 2018, 23:43
Far more interesting to me was:

44% is danger-close to Nunn–McCurdy

That is no problem....I donated to the Kitty today so the USMC should be good to go for a while!

Ian Corrigible
29th Mar 2018, 11:20
Update:

http://news.lockheedmartin.com/2018-...295_128428-117

36k lb external load :D

Not that impressive. The YCH-53E demo'd a 35,600 lb external payload lift on August 10th, 1974, with 40% less installed power.

The impressive performance will be when the CH-53K demonstrates its ability to lift heavy payloads over long distances at high/hot conditions.

I/C

SASless
29th Mar 2018, 11:24
The impressive performance will be when the CH-53K demonstrates its ability to lift heavy payloads over long distances at high/hot conditions.

Hot/High, Long Distance, heavy payloads....so what is the competition in that contest?

The 101, NH-90, Belvedere or the venerable Chinook?

9BIT
29th Mar 2018, 11:41
Hot/High, Long Distance, heavy payloads....so what is the competition in that contest?

Not a chance with any of those but the Mi-26?

Ian Corrigible
29th Mar 2018, 12:18

Halo aside, I guess the answer is multiple Chinooks. Just as the CH-47F was the default platform in Afghanistan for lifting Black Hawk-sized payloads at 10,000 ft HLZs, the CH-53K will be able to lift CH-47-sized payloads at high altitudes, albeit at a price.

The current CH-47F can carry 16k lb @ 4K/95F, while the CH-53K's baseline requirement is 27k lb @ 3K/95F (with an objective requirement of 30k lb @ 3K/95F). The Block II CH-47F will close the gap slightly, but the CH-53K will remain king of the hill, thanks in no small part to its 22,500 shp of installed power.

(Let's see what happens when Boeing sticks a couple of T408s in the CH-47 (https://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/604737-chinooks-further-upgrade-forward-flight-gyroplane-mode.html#post10035076). :E)

I/C

Kerosene Kraut
29th Mar 2018, 12:31
The RAF is said to be called by Boeing to send one of their Odiham Chinooks to ILA as well.

Evalu8ter
30th Mar 2018, 11:01
If the RAF send the display aircraft and crew it will be very interesting. I've said before, the GAF say both aircraft meet the Threshold requirement. Chinook is about a third of the price to buy, is mature, and in series production / service with several European air arms that the GAF could request support from. Block II is coming, but it's a low-risk incremental improvement. Proposed Block III with the bigger engines/upgraded transmissions will further close the gap. They have no need for the cost, weight and complexity of a marinised platform and, if the Israelis are thinking Chinook, they will likely be the only export customer. The GAF may wish to ask the Canadians how that feels...... Unless you want to lift something really, really heavy or go to war on a ship, then -53K looks like it will struggle against the default answer - "Chinook". That all said, -53K might be a better option for France if it decides to "go large"....

SASless
30th Mar 2018, 14:47
The Chinook will outlive me by about a Century!

I flew number 10 of the original bunch!

JohnDixson
30th Mar 2018, 22:04
From Ian C:

“Let's see what happens when Boeing sticks a couple of T408s in the CH-47.”

Installation of the K engines so as to utilize their power would require design and qualification, ground and flight testing of five new transmissions, associated drive train and mounts for all, the same for the mechanical controls ( servos, pushrods etc ), same for both new rotor heads and most likely new blades. By the time Boeing added up that bill, they would most probably decide to finally go fly-by-wire with the CH-47, as well as trading in significant parts of the dated metal fuselage for composite structure where appropriate. It winds up being a whole new machine, with costs significantly higher than the 47F, but a bit less than the 53K ( after all it has two, vs three engines ). Boeing certainly has the technology to do it, so the question of using the K engines becomes an investment decision balanced against the customer needs and availability/justification for DOD funds.

chopper2004
12th Apr 2018, 14:01
https://news.lockheedmartin.com/2018-04-12-Strengthening-Partnerships-Sikorskys-CH-53K-Heavy-Lift-Helicopter-Makes-Historic-First-Flight-in-Germany?_ga=2.210975826.613558733.1523541368-44503509.1514242557

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/808/41367091222_c12bebd677_k.jpg

(photo courtesy of Sikorsky)

cheers

Ian Corrigible
25th Apr 2018, 12:35
I enjoyed Sikorsky's recent cheeky claim that the CH-53K "...will be fielded to the U.S. Marine Corps (USMC) as a fully-operational aircraft in 2019 (https://news.lockheedmartin.com/2018-04-18-Sikorsky-Announces-its-German-Industrialization-for-the-Countrys-New-Heavy-Lift-Helicopter-Competition)" (IOC is planned for December 2019, with FOC following in 2029), but it now looks like even the IOC date will slip into 2020: Lockheed’s $31 billion helicopter slipping behind schedule, Pentagon says (https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-25/lockheed-s-marine-copter-slipping-behind-schedule-pentagon-says).

Lockheed Martin Corp.'s new $31 billion helicopter for the Marine Corps may be falling behind schedule and could miss its target for initial combat capability by as much as eight months, Pentagon analysts say. Defense Department officials are tracking more than 1,000 current or projected “mission-impacting technical issues” that present “a high risk” to the CH-53K helicopter meeting its December 2019 goal, according to a program review document.

I/C

Sir Korsky
25th Apr 2018, 14:22
The current projected acquisition cost, including development, is $139.5 million per aircraft, according to the acquisition report. That’s 20 percent more than the original baseline set in 2005. A 1982 law would require notifying Congress if the overrun reaches 30 percent of the baseline or more.

This is going to be a great machine once it's all ironed out - and at that price, so it should be !! Anyway, doesn't really matter in the long term. The USA is heading for bankruptcy so enjoy the print and spend mentality while it lasts !

Evalu8ter
26th Apr 2018, 11:44
SirK,
Might be time to break out the "Nunn-McCurdy Popcorn" for the -53K. Think it triggers at 25% over-run, so we're not far off now. Big, big risk for the Germans if it happens, Sikorsky and the USMC will focus entirely on US activity and they will be left to feel like, I imagine, Canada buying Cyclones. An undoubtedly impressive aircraft, but at an absolutely eye-watering cost......

chopper2004
30th Apr 2018, 04:18
Here she is, my photos first prodcution a/c making its first international debut ...mid week at ILA,

cheers

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/824/27855789098_1ae56e8012_k.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/976/27855788118_bbea0ec368_k.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/826/27855788658_044b7b73f3_k.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/979/40825656815_1978672fb6_k.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/950/41724660451_02c1ae1fc3_k.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/869/41684186502_0e178e3e69_k.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/864/41684189402_cef0bab3a5_k.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/909/41724660101_691b3d34d6_k.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/966/41724659971_67ecfa2a43_k.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/911/41724659701_b367b75765_k.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/957/41684187362_c461082684_k.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/827/39917213640_c776aa17a0_k.jpg

Lonewolf_50
17th May 2018, 12:23
First bird delivered to New River (https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/the-us-marine-corps-just-got-its-most-powerful-helicopter-ever/ar-AAxo64v?ocid=spartandhp), though I am guessing this is for Opeval? The article mentions an IOC 2019 estimate.
(Anyone know if the simulator is up and running in New River?)

chopper2004
9th Nov 2018, 22:12
Think it was last night when the German Federal government approved funding for replacement of their legacy Luftwaffe CH-53G/GA fleet.

So may the best man win

Cheers

https://www.shephardmedia.com/news/defence-helicopter/german-parliament-backs-heavy-lift-package/

The Sultan
1st Feb 2019, 11:52
https://www.rotorandwing.com/2019/01/31/multiple-design-deficiencies-will-delay-ch-53k-testing-entry-service/

From the above all is not well in 53K world with program being delayed at least 2 more years to fix problems with basically every new system on the aircraft. Son of Cyvlone?

SASless
1st Feb 2019, 12:17
If it is at New River....then I should be seeing it flying near my home....as the Marines use Atlantic OLF that is just up the road a bit from me......along with MCAS Cherry Point.

They use Beaufort Airport for Osprey training as well and on occasions the 53's make an appearance there as well.

Wednesday's seems to be the busiest day of the week for operations around where I live.

This week there has been a War going on....lots of explosions heard....as bombing ranges are quite close by.

If I see the "K" I will try to get some photos.

chopper2004
25th Feb 2021, 17:14
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1204x1170/38dafa49_c4dc_4cfe_8d55_3199ca384034_a9a7b43a8b859c4adc0962c 9dbc723e45572680c.jpeg

Sir Korsky
25th Feb 2021, 21:00
Nice ! The American tax payers, or what's left of them, shall enjoy buying those for Israel. It certainly was the natural selection. Around $125m a piece now.