PDA

View Full Version : Can PPL (SEP) fly Cessna 208?

TODA.1
4th May 2014, 17:36
Can PPL (SEP) fly Cessna 208?

flybymike
4th May 2014, 17:46
Not with just an SEP.
You need an appropriate type rating.
(I assume you mean the turboprop caravan, and not the stretched 207 SEP)

MrAverage
4th May 2014, 17:48
.......and your own insurance company.

Desert185
4th May 2014, 18:44
No 208, FAA type rating. If you have the means...have the fun...preferably with amphibs.

Elsewhere, a type rating may be required. There's always someone to put a damper on the action.

Baseline1
4th May 2014, 19:12
Not just with an SEP, depending on where you are, a type rating may be required.

Mach Jump
5th May 2014, 05:13
Can PPL (SEP) fly Cessna 208?

No.

Around 12 years ago, the UK joined JAA and adopted the JARs. As a result, dispite being assured by our CAA that it wouldn't happen, UK PPLs lost the right to fly any turbine engined aircraft when their 'A' and 'B' ratings were replaced with the new SEP and MEP Class Ratings.

Since then, all turbine engined aircraft have required a Type Rating, or a Class Rating restricted to individual manufacturers. eg, Cessna SET, Rockwell MET.

At the same time, the Piper Malibu SEP was deemed far too complex to be included in the SEP Class Rating, and became the only SEP with it's own Type Rating.

MJ:ok:

flybymike
5th May 2014, 06:05
At the same time, the Piper Malibu SEP was deemed far too complex to be included in the SEP Class Rating, and became the only SEP with it's own Type Rating.
Indeed.
Barking mad.:rolleyes:

S-Works
5th May 2014, 08:51
It's a max of 5hrs with a skill test to add the S
Cessna SET Class Rating. Oral exam rather than written.

It's a doddle to fly. We are in Rome teaching a course at the moment on the Grand Caravan. I will test the students this afternoon.

Pace152
3rd Jun 2014, 17:06
Hey Bose-x,

Hope you can help me with this question - I've got EASA and FAA CPL's, if I get say 50 hours on a Caravan on my FAA licence (doesn't need a TR) would that make any difference to the amount of hours I'd have to do to get the EASA Caravan SET?

Thanks

S-Works
3rd Jun 2014, 17:50
It would be training as required to pass the skill test, issue of a course completion certificate by the HoT and then the skill test itself.

I can do this for you if needed.

Pace152
3rd Jun 2014, 19:02
Hey bose-x, thanks for the info. Sent you a PM.