PDA

View Full Version : Enhanced Learning Credits for a PPL(H)

ALM In Waiting
3rd May 2014, 08:55
Hi All,
I was wondering if anyone had any experience of using ELCs to fund part of a PPL (H)? I was told no at the education centre, but am not entirely convinced the lady I was talking to entirely understood what I was looking to do, and may have confused things with Standard Learning Credits.

Has anyone used the funding to put toward lessons or even publications or exam fees?

I am fixed wing rear crew, so it could be argued there is little benefit to the service, apart from improved airmanship and awareness.

thing
3rd May 2014, 09:06
You can certainly use ELC's for doing fixed wing PPL, I know many pilots that have. Can't see that there would be a difference for egg whisks although you would need substantially deeper pockets to keep your PPL(H) up once you had it.

By the way if you're fixed wing rear then the chances are you fly from the same place as me, there are guys who can quote you chapter and verse on ELC's at our place.

Edit: just noticed your moniker so perhaps you are at the 'other' place.

ALM In Waiting
3rd May 2014, 09:13
Thanks Thing. I'm at a secret location in Oxfordshire. Would it be ok to PM me some details of your SMEs please?

thing
3rd May 2014, 09:31
No probs, probably be next week now as I'm away.

ALM In Waiting
3rd May 2014, 09:40
Great thanks.

thing
3rd May 2014, 09:50
Update: PM incoming.

ALM In Waiting
3rd May 2014, 10:08
Thanks. Replied.

MFC_Fly
3rd May 2014, 11:07
I think the problem would be to find an ELC Approved Learning Provider that does PPL(H). The reason that PPL(A) can be done is that there are a few flying schools that are approved.

Lima Juliet
3rd May 2014, 12:35
Here you go, this lot are ELCAS registered...

http://www.elitehelicopters.co.uk/helicopter-lessons/elcas-helicopter-course/

And this lot...

Heli Air - Helicopter Sales, Lessons, Training, Maintenance, Charter, Experiences - New and Used Robinson Helicopter Sales (http://www.heliair.com)

ALM In Waiting
3rd May 2014, 13:51
Some great links there, thanks Leon.

dagowly
3rd May 2014, 14:07
I've had this exact issue before and took it higher, it has to conform with the JSP. I found that unless you're aircrew you will find it difficult to use your ELC for your PPL whether it be fixed ring or rotary. I ended up joining the local RAFFCA flying club's committee and it was then granted.

If you still have issues, push the case to OC TDF or whatever you have, usually they can look into it or just tell you plain and simple if you're eligible. Best of luck.

ALM In Waiting
3rd May 2014, 15:39
Thanks Dagowly.

Tiger_mate
4th May 2014, 09:27
There was a time when PPL was restricted to aicrew, but that time has gone and it is now open to all. Airmanship has a worth to the wider air force and this has been acknowledged by the 'system'. Service flying clubs should provide sage advice.

ALM In Waiting
4th May 2014, 12:18
Thanks Tiger Mate, I will be making some calls next week to the clubs. When you say it was restricted to aircrew in the past, do you mean just pilots or both pilots and rear crew?

exairman
4th May 2014, 21:53
I have just had ELC approved for NPPL. Slightly different as I have just started resettlement but it is on my personal trg plan that I have created. I am not aircrew but mix of creating a personal development plan and the RAF is about flying, should satisfy your local trg or education centre person?

dagowly
5th May 2014, 07:55
Exairman - you're entitled as part of your resettlement to do it, but if you applied during your time in the service and you weren't aircrew, you'd have some issues getting past the ELC advisor. It did take me a while to get mine granted but it is mainly as I am part of the flying club committee.