PDA

View Full Version : Want a Lanc?

Boudreaux Bob
2nd May 2014, 17:54
Might be one for sale if you got the money!

Edmundston's Lancaster bomber headed for rough landing - New Brunswick - CBC News (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/edmundston-s-lancaster-bomber-headed-for-rough-landing-1.2626764?cmp=rss)

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
2nd May 2014, 18:55
The plane is one of six surviving Lancasters on display in Canada. It is the only one not in a museum setting.

"I know the value of this plane," said Poitras. "I know how important it is in the history of Canada and in the history of World War Two.

"This plane put an end to World War Two basically. It was part of the Dambusters [that bombed hydroelectric dams in Germany]," said Poitras.

Two out of three's not bad, I suppose; unless she was referring to Lancasters in general.

Boudreaux Bob
2nd May 2014, 18:57
Is not a reference to 617 Squadron in any post about the RAF not a standard requirement?;)

Robert Cooper
2nd May 2014, 19:01
Sad tale. I hope they find a museum to take her in.

Bob C

500N
2nd May 2014, 19:27
Isn't it a sad tale.

Pity they can't take the wings off and move it inside somewhere,
even storage for a while.

Fantome
2nd May 2014, 19:41
In Western Australia, at Perth Airport, in 1964 (when the upper most pic was taken) you could have picked up both the Lanc and the Mossie for a song. The ex French maritime Lanc that came to Perth from Noumea went to the air force museum at Bulls Creek near Perth, while the Mossie , one of the Bankstown built ones, now resides in the Australian War Memorial in Canberra.

http://www.ernmphotography.com/Pages/Aviation/Aircraft/Warbirds/Lancaster/Ac345AcP13_700.jpg

GeeRam
2nd May 2014, 19:47
I suspect there's local politics involved here as the RCAF museum doesn't have a Lanc so I'm sure they would take her, dismantle her and store/restore it before it falls apart........if donated by the relevant local govt organisation that own it, especially given this is a genuine combat vet Lanc.

500N
2nd May 2014, 19:50
fantome

what do you class as a song ?

How cheap are you talking ?

NutLoose
2nd May 2014, 20:10
Is not a reference to 617 Squadron in any post about the RAF not a standard requirement?

It's such a shame that we have left that 617 aircraft from the Tirpitz to rot away in a distant field as well..

Survivor NF920 (http://www.lancaster-archive.com/lanc_surv_nf920.htm)

My task is done... ;)

Fantome
2nd May 2014, 21:35
Jimmy Woods owned the Mossie. 500 quid would have pulled it up.
The owners of the Lanc who intended continuing the ferry to the UK had run out of the money and the backing. . . so they would only have hoped to cover their costs . .. . . something of the order of 5 or 6 thou probably

In 1980 Pearce Dunn sold his PR Mk XVI Mossie. for $5000
Later, Dusty Lane swapped her for a flyable Dak in a deal with the RAAF Museum Point Cook. That Dak is OVM at Essendon today.
JD Williams bought the Mossie from Pearce so as to thwart his plans to do a deal with a museum in Sweden. After that 'save', Dusty Lane came briefly on the scene.

500N
2nd May 2014, 21:37
Thanks

Some deals and a half, that's for sure.

Re these Lancs in the open air, it's a pity some sort of temporary structure
like plastic greenhouse type couldn't be used. At least it would stop some
of the water getting into these places.

Also some superb sprays that protect metal are available, one I know is
used underwater on oil rigs. I suppose it all costs money !

gr4techie
4th May 2014, 13:37
This plane put an end to World War Two basically. It was part of the Dambusters

Ha ha ha ha.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
4th May 2014, 15:05
A plastic shed isn't going to cut it in Edmundston. It's usually mentioned daily in the Maritimes - the two most common phrases being
"..coldest temperature tonight is Edmundston...."
"Highest snowfall with 40cm was Edmundston..."