PDA

View Full Version : Using G1000 in reversionary mode

matthewlai
1st May 2014, 21:22
I fly a G1000 DA40 (VFR only), and like to put it in reversionary mode when I have a passenger fly the plane, and we don't need the map.

Is there anything wrong with that? Is anything important disabled in reversionary mode?

Thanks

alexbrett
1st May 2014, 22:25
I think you lose some of the navigation bits and pieces - obviously the large moving map (though you can put a small one up still), and I think possibly the ability to create / edit a flightplan (though direct to still works), but if you're not needing those then I don't see any problem.

You certainly wouldn't want to do it IFR as I think you lose the ability to select approaches etc.

The only other thing that comes to mind is you probably can't use the leaning guidance etc, but if you're doing this in the cruise then you've likely already leaned any way...

matthewlai
1st May 2014, 22:33
Ah thanks.

Yeah I'm not really worried about the things I cannot do, because I can always switch back to normal mode to do them (I switch maybe 5-10 times every flight). I also switch back to normal mode when I hear a traffic advisory from the TAS, to see where the traffic is.

I'm more worried about things like if some warnings get disabled in reversionary mode, or if some redundant systems are disabled, etc.

Cows getting bigger
2nd May 2014, 05:12
Nope, nothing wrong with pressing the red.

semmern
2nd May 2014, 12:01
Nothing is disabled, and you don't lose any functions. You can still input flight plan waypoints, etc on the PFD. The only thing you "lose" per se is the big moving map and the schematic flight plan page, but they are available with the push of the reversionary mode button if you need a quick look. Nothing wrong with switching back and forth either. I instruct on G1000-equipped C172s, and we switch back and forth all the time.

matthewlai
2nd May 2014, 17:58
Awesome thanks!