PDA

View Full Version : NPPL to EASA PPL(A) - Do I still need to maintain NPPL

kevkdg
1st May 2014, 20:36
Hi,

I have successfully converted my NPPL(A) with only an SLMG rating to an EASA PPL(A) with TMG class rating.

The CAA have confirmed that I still have my NPPL licence, which came as a surprise to me. I asked them this because I assumed that unless you ticked the option to retain the NPPL and paid circa £30 you would lose it.

Is there any point in maintaining the NPPL? I can fly annex II aircraft using my EASA PPL(A), and if I ever wanted to fly Microlights, as long as my PPL(A) has a SEP rating (which it will in due course) then this seems to be covered (provided I have log book evidence of Microlight differences training).

Have I understood all this right?

Mach Jump
1st May 2014, 20:46
Yes you have it quite right.

It's worth keeping your NPPL current in case, at some time in the future, you are unable to pass a Class II or LAPL Medical. then you can continue flying on the privileges of an NPPL with a Medical Declaration from your GP.

MJ:ok:

kevkdg
1st May 2014, 22:08
But nppl will only be valid for annex ii post April 2015....

Mach Jump
1st May 2014, 23:37
But nppl will only be valid for annex ii post April 2015....

Yes.

MJ:ok:

2nd May 2014, 06:35
You can get a SPL or LAPL(S) on the basis of a NPPL(SLMG), it's only a paperwork exercise.

kevkdg
2nd May 2014, 07:49
Cheers for the replies. I already have my EASA PPL(A) TMG off the back off my NPPL(A) SLMG. So am good to go from April 2015.

It's just the CAA have confirmed that I now have two licences, my NPPL and EASA PPL. I was expecting to lose my NPPL when I converted it, as I did not tick the option to retain it (and pay £30 for the privilege). But it seems retain it I did (for free).

My query is whether I actually need it ever again.

The devil for detail in me also noticed that my address on the NPPL included the village I live in and the county. Where as on the new EASA PPL the address is simply house number, street, City and Post code..... Guess that's OK?