PDA

View Full Version : Adding Ratings to EASA PPL & Aligning Expiry Dates

kevkdg
1st May 2014, 19:52
Hi,

I have an EASA PPL(A) with TMG rating which expires 30/4/2016.

If I add an SEP(Land) rating this summer, how does one go about aligning the expiry dates given that you can revalidate by experience using either Class rating aircraft or a mixture of both.

For example, Let's say SEP(Land) is added this summer and therefore expires on 31/08/2016.

How can I align this with the TMG rating or vice versa?

Mach Jump
1st May 2014, 20:39
Just make sure you have enough experience to revalidate both on, or just before 30/04/2016

MJ:ok:

kevkdg
1st May 2014, 22:11
Can you revalidate a rating more than 3 months prior.

Are you saying that both Sep and tmg could be revalidated to 30/4/2018 using my example scenario??

Mach Jump
1st May 2014, 23:32
Are you saying that both Sep and tmg could be revalidated to 30/4/2018 using my example scenario??

Yes. you can revalidate your ratings any time you like, as long as you have met the revalidation requirements by that time.

The 3 months limit only applies if you want your rating to run from the original expiry date, which you don't.

If you revalidate them both on 30/04/2016 they will both expire on 30/04/2018

MJ:ok:

Level Attitude
1st May 2014, 23:58
No real need to align Ratings that are only four months apart.
(Can give some flexibility in that if you don't/can't fly for a while you don't lose all ability to act as a pilot all at once)

If wanting to then take an SEP Prof Check in April, or a TMG Prof Check in August (or whichever month you gained your SEP) - as a 'one off' just to align the Rating dates.

MJ's method also works if you don't want to (have to) fly with an Examiner.