PDA

View Full Version : Truck tries to drive under plane

Chriz58
30th Apr 2014, 21:04
:ugh:https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=p8YiPwa_fM0 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=p8YiPwa_fM0)

MATELO
30th Apr 2014, 21:30
Defo lost his excess and no claims bonus.

chevvron
30th Apr 2014, 22:12
Ssh keep quiet, maybe no-one will notice the dent.
Was the guy running away the driver?

slam525i
30th Apr 2014, 22:39
The first guy was probably just scared the landing gear might get sheared off. I'd run away too.

If you look, they quickly switch drivers and then drive away. (I can almost understand backing the truck out in a minor panic, but the driver switching sure looks suspicious.)

Harry O
1st May 2014, 14:22
Happened a while ago in Miami but here's the cctv footage.
Bet it left a dent!
https://uk.screen.yahoo.com/video/playlist/world-s-worst-drivers/

Aluminium shuffler
1st May 2014, 14:34
It's depressing how often it happens. I frequently see ground staff trying to wheel-spin, wheelie or do donuts and hand brake turns with the baggage trolley tugs, and have seen the baggage belt, ambulift and catering vehicles driven into the side of the aircraft so many times a week that I lose count. So many of the ground crew just don't give a damn because they're not smart enough to understand how fragile an airframe is or how much stress it's under in flight. The sad thing is how it lowers perceptions of ground crew, because a lot of them are smart and conscientious but reap the disdain earned by the morons.

PAXboy
1st May 2014, 15:40
It would be interesting to learn accurate info as to the reaction of the airport mgmt.

Their best plan would have been to make an example by careful investigation and then firing the people who crashed and implementing tougher checks on this category of staff. The aiport need to reassure their clients - the carriers - that this win't happen again. Further, put CCTV anyplace it is not yet set.

nwesterntown
1st May 2014, 21:16
Man he really smacked it in there......

slam525i
1st May 2014, 22:50
From another forum:
A little background on this accident - if you notice after the crash the driver (lady) jumps out, the passenger of the truck (man) jumps in, lady walks away.

The truck was a catering truck and the lady was not supposed to be driving, the man told police he was the driver - then they reviewed this video - both were terminated immediately.

As for the aircraft; Occurred March 23 UPS Boeing 757-200 (N462UP) on Spot 90 at the Miami International Airport
Repaired by AAR Aircraft Services Miami, and returned to flight status on April 13.

diginagain
2nd May 2014, 11:31
It's depressing how often it happens. I frequently see ground staff trying to wheel-spin, wheelie or do donuts and hand brake turns with the baggage trolley tugs, and have seen the baggage belt, ambulift and catering vehicles driven into the side of the aircraft so many times a week that I lose count. So many of the ground crew just don't give a damn because they're not smart enough to understand how fragile an airframe is or how much stress it's under in flight. The sad thing is how it lowers perceptions of ground crew, because a lot of them are smart and conscientious but reap the disdain earned by the morons. You don't work at RAF Brize Norton by any chance?

angels
2nd May 2014, 14:29
I was pax on a Tower Air 747 from Bangkok to London in the days when planes needed to refuel in Bahrain.

During refuelling a catering truck did exactly the same. :eek:

We were stranded for 24 hours. I suppose we were lucky we had a plane to get back on.

BOAC
2nd May 2014, 21:16
both were terminated immediately - harsh but fair:)

ruddman
2nd May 2014, 22:01
I used to drive small vans and trucks like that one airside loading metros etc and driving around larger aircraft parked on the apron. I used to be in fear of hitting the metro when reversing up to it. Or taking out a wing.

Why oh why you'd let someone drive who shouldn't and why she was driving so fast is beyond me.

magpienja
4th May 2014, 10:30
So little importance seems to be given to driving vehicles of any size these days...

I think a lot of the blame should be placed at the feet of the morons who hire these people...they seem to have no idea themselves,

Quite depressing to view this vid really.