PDA

View Full Version : Gerry Adams arrested over IRA murder

NutLoose
30th Apr 2014, 22:27
Gerry Adams arrested over 1972 murder of Jean McConville - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/northernireland/10799940/Gerry-Adams-arrested-over-1972-murder-of-Jean-McConville.html)

On his pre arrest video he says "The war is over"

So that washes it all under the carpet does it?

VinRouge
30th Apr 2014, 22:39
If he is guilty, he should pay the price. Remember the 80s when the coward used to have a voice over on the beeb...

ricardian
30th Apr 2014, 22:40
I do hope a lot of folk are nervous after hearing this. But in reality I suspect nothing will happen

Basil
1st May 2014, 01:28
ricardian, I concur.
"Don't worry, Mr Adams, it'll look good and we'll make sure you'll be OK!"
I DO hope that I'm proved wrong.

ArthurR
1st May 2014, 07:10
Fingers crossed Justice at last maybe.

Wyler
1st May 2014, 07:27
This is a thread for Jet Blast, surely.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
1st May 2014, 07:50
Not necessarily. It wasn't a war but a lot of danger was endured by the Air Force and Army and Naval Service aviators during "the troubles". Even just checking under your car at regular intervals was a a pain in the bum.

As I understand the "Good Friday Agreement", yer man Adams could be charged. tried and possibly convicted but would escape the slammer. That's the "freedom" that appears to have been promised to the bad buggers in exchange for cessation of hostilities. It's a poo sandwich but that's what the grown ups seem to have signed up to.

Wander00
1st May 2014, 08:58
Like what happened to help that guy escape trial for the Hyde park bomb. Unbelievable. And allegedly there is possibly at least on other senior IRA guy out there "rehabilitated"

SpringHeeledJack
1st May 2014, 09:41
Like what happened to help that guy escape trial for the Hyde park bomb. Unbelievable. And allegedly there is possibly at least on other senior IRA guy out there "rehabilitated"

I don't know if it's the same bloke, but someone was arrested fairly recently for the Hyde Park bomb and the 'soft targets' that got obliterated. It will be interesting to see how the Adams scenario plays out, no doubt a few people on both sides of the fence will be feeling a distinct uneasiness today.

chevvron
1st May 2014, 10:34
If they can do it to Adams, can't they do it to McGuinness too?

luoto
1st May 2014, 10:38
A certain "Miranda" was, err, allegedly to have used his middle names when caught "mid cottage" at a young age. One rumour is that a fellow cottage inhabitant was the younger son of a prominent person who wasn't as "into the troubles as his dad" and a tacit agreement was reached not to spill the beans ... a benefit that was reaped in later life. It could all be balls as it was a mil person who told me (the latter bit) a few years ago. The former is well known.

(Obviously slightly obscured, I've not been drinking).

I still remember as a teenager turning on the telly to see the Hyde Park scene - and that was "cleaned up" for BBC viewing - with the horses still lying on the floor. Obviously they'd moved the poor troops already but there was something surreal, striking about that scene that still is quite clear in my mind all of these years later.

Bloody awful thing religion.

Wander00
1st May 2014, 11:01
Chevron - I never said that.........quite!

ricardian
1st May 2014, 12:41
If it was a "war" then he's possibly guilty of "war crimes"

teeteringhead
1st May 2014, 13:07
So you can bang up (alleged) kiddie fiddlers after 40 years but not (alleged) murderers. :ugh:

The lunatics have indeed taken over the asylum.........:(

Trim Stab
1st May 2014, 13:18
Remember the 80s when the coward used to have a voice over on the beeb...

Not sure why you're charging him with cowardice for the voiceover. That was not thorough his choice. It was a BBC workaround for a law at the time that prohibited the broadcast of "terrorists".

langleybaston
1st May 2014, 14:05
The IRA did a lot of harm at many levels.

As a low-level harm, to this day my wife and I can not stay in a room at night without the curtains drawn closed ......... this as a result of many years on OMQ in BFG.
At least I no longer check under the car though.

melmothtw
1st May 2014, 14:08
Yes, I still remember the 'Stay Alert, Stay Alive' adverts on BFBS. It's amazing how much of that stays with you, and how much is actually quite useful even today...

Tester_76
1st May 2014, 14:41
There are still people having to do those checks everyday, despite the "we're all one big happy family" facade...

Shack37
1st May 2014, 16:08
Further to that Trim Stab, I don't think that taking up arms for your beliefs
constitutes 'cowardice'. Whatever your thoughts on the IRA or their methods, I don't think that they can be described as cowards (and I'm speaking here as someone who, as GBZ pointed out, had to regularly check under my dad's car while a dependent in Germany).

Dear God, what part of kidnapping, torturing and murdering innocent civilians is classed as "Taking up arms for your beliefs" FFS? Even speaking as someone who "peaked under your dad's car in Germany"
I spent my last years of service in the RAF at BK 68 to 71 and, being N. Irish was there for some years afterwards before moving away due to work committments. I had the pleasure of having my windows blown in by a bomb planted in the local post office courtesy of the IRA. I also watched the intelligence challenged oafs of the various "Loyalist" organisations, who were just as bad, parading around my neighbourhood with their dumb faces covered in balaclavas.
Yes sir, they were, are and always will be cowards to me.
Jean McConville's murder was probably the vilest of the actions carried by Adam's "unknowns" but there were many more "disappeared" some of whom have still not been found so that their families can bury them.

No excuses, no forgiveness and never forget. There was no justification for their actions.

Shack37
1st May 2014, 16:20
The IRA did a lot of harm at many levels.

As a low-level harm, to this day my wife and I can not stay in a room at night without the curtains drawn closed ......... this as a result of many years on OMQ in BFG.
At least I no longer check under the car though.

I hadn't thought of that but so true. When going to a pub or restaurant, even now I instinctively find a seat from where I can see the entrance.

Shack37
1st May 2014, 17:32
You seem to have misinterpreted my post Shack37. I am not in any way trying to justify the IRA or its campaign. My point (and the only one I was making) was that they were/are not cowards. I'm guessing (I've never done it, so can't say with any certainty) that it takes some courage to carry a live bomb down the street, regardless of your intentions as to how its used.

In many cases they did not carry their live bombs down the street themselves, they forced innocent people to do it for them. Someone in their car at the place at the wrong time, a delivery man in his van, a bus driver etc. They were all, without exception cold blooded cowardly murderers. There too many incidents over too many years to recount here none of which were committed by a "hero"
The courageous people were those who risked their lives defusing them.

Tourist
1st May 2014, 17:38
Shack

Out of interest, do you think the French resistance were brave?

MPN11
1st May 2014, 18:30
I can't bear this entire awfulness being dragged into the headlines again. I wish both Adams and McGuinness (the completely innocent, never there, not a member) a long stay in Hell ... As I do all the sub-humans on all sides of the equation who went so far beyond civilised behaviour.

My involvement was minimal, and I thankfully never served in NI. In England, I was only exposed to UK bombing twice, my mother just once ... and a very good friend was murdered on his OMQ doorstep in Germany.

Sadly, I feel it's time to leave it to <insert Deity> ... I fear that anything else will just kick the whole sad, disgusting, uncivilised saga off again. There are sufficient morons over there to achieve it, albeit ineptly.

I don't forgive, and I don't forget, though.

Haraka
1st May 2014, 18:40
In many cases they did not carry their live bombs down the street themselves, they forced innocent people to do it for them. Someone in their car at the place at the wrong time,

..and chained to the steering wheel with their family as hostages.

.......and yes, I was there.

glad rag
1st May 2014, 19:07
proxy bomb....

Shack37
1st May 2014, 19:56
Anyhow, I didn't post here to justify the IRA (as you seem to think I did),
and I don't fancy getting into (another) PPRuNe slanging match, so will leave it at that.

I didn't think you were trying to justify them, perhaps just a bit overly fair minded. This will also be my last post here.

Shack
Out of interest, do you think the French resistance were brave?

Yes I do, you're comparing chalk with cheese. The French resistance were fighting against an occupying foreign force that had occupied their country.
The British army were on their own soil and initially to help the police protect catholic areas from protestant violence. What thanks did they get? First it was welcome boys, then bricks and stones and then guns and bombs.
As Haraka says "and yes, I was there.
I shall now retire from the debate.

ShotOne
1st May 2014, 20:58
Maybe we're all too fair-minded, shack. But we did a deal to end this conflict and odious as it may be at times, have to stick to it.

Bill4a
1st May 2014, 23:04
It gives 'We will never give in to terrorism' a rather hollow ring! :mad:

parabellum
2nd May 2014, 00:23
The IRA bombs were indiscriminate and 90% of the time the victims were unarmed, innocent civilians, including women and children, yes, the IRA were cowards.

Mil-26Man
2nd May 2014, 00:47
I.R.A. Apologizes for Civilian Deaths in Its 30-Year Campaign - NYTimes.com (http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/17/world/ira-apologizes-for-civilian-deaths-in-its-30-year-campaign.html)

36% parabellum

Just a spotter
2nd May 2014, 07:43
The British army were on their own soil

Shack, I think that touches on a core part of the issue. Just how long does one political entity need to have possession of "the soil" before it's theirs? In the 1940's how long before the Nazi's could have called French soil "German", or today before the Israelis/Palestinians/Judheans can call the land "theirs"? When did north America cease to belong to the native peoples and later switch from being French & British? When did the bits of England stop being Saxon, Norman, Norse or Cumbrian and start being English? At what point did "the soil" of the island of Ireland change its allegiance around an arbitrary line?

Is a situation such as that in Northern Ireland best viewed through the prism of "the land" and as a security issue? What about the people who live there, their hopes, aspirations and loyalties?

JAS

Mil-26Man
2nd May 2014, 09:19
Yes I do, you're comparing chalk with cheese. The French resistance were fighting against an occupying foreign force that had occupied their country.

The British army were on their own soil and initially to help the police protect catholic areas from protestant violence. What thanks did they get? First it was welcome boys, then bricks and stones and then guns and bombs. As Haraka says "and yes, I was there.

I wish I could have such a black-and-white view of the world, with 'us' as the goodies and 'them' as the baddies. It must be bliss not to see any shades of grey in your outlook on world events.

And since when did "being there" afford special strategic insight into the issues and their underlying causes? Were not all the citizens of the UK and Ireland 'there' also, in so far as all were subject to and affected by violence directly attributed to the Troubles?

FrustratedFormerFlie
2nd May 2014, 09:53
This is a highly sensitive time and anyone who knows anything about NI politics is probably, like me, hoping we can keep heat out of the situation. We desperately need the politicians to stay clear - the application of the justice system is above the paygrade of the politicians. They get to make the laws, then they have to stand back and let the justice system deal with the processes.
The last thing we need is politicians on one side or the other 'celebrating come-uppence' or 'claiming biased policing': either of these irresponsible interjections could lead to an angry mob outside the police station in support or opposition
Or worse, TWO angry mobs, one on either side
Does anyone else remember the Battle of Burntollet Bridge?

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
2nd May 2014, 10:09
Shack, I think that touches on a core part of the issue. Just how long does one political entity need to have possession of "the soil" before it's theirs?

How does 400 and a bit years sound? I don't think this discussion would have lasted long under Henry VIII.

ArthurR
2nd May 2014, 12:46
You seem to have misinterpreted my post Shack37. I am not in any way trying to justify the IRA or its campaign. My point (and the only one I was making) was that they were/are not cowards.

The post that was in seems to have vanished. Of course it takes brave men or a man to kidnap an 11year old by gun point, strap him to a chair and beaten. A week after she disappeared, Michael was taken, bound to a chair, had a gun held to his head, beaten and was threatened with being shot if he spoke about the IRA.

Full story: Gerry Adams still being questioned as Jean McConville's son says family want 'justice' | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2617599/Gerry-Adams-spends-night-cell-arrest-son-murdered-Jean-McConville-today-demands-justice-mother-murdered-1972.html)

His sister says different: Jean McConville's daughter vows to name IRA members who executed her mother | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2618479/Are-going-come-bullet-head-Well-know-I-live-Daughter-mother-ten-abducted-WILL-tell-police-killed-says-Gerry-Adams-involved.html)

Fat Magpie
2nd May 2014, 15:22
I don't believe its anything to do with J McConville or indeed any murder be it of security personnel or innocent civilians in the troubles.

that little misunderstanding that was the troubles is now water under the bridge as NI moves slowly forward to some sort of normality.

Gerry and his merry band of men Sein Fein are starting it prove to be an embarrassment to the Southern Irish government.
Recently a very senior irish banker walked scot free from court (hardly surprising given his connections to southern politicians an the old boy network).
SF are pegged to do very well in the upcoming European elections and a lot of senior folk in banking are getting nervous as Gerry is very much anti corruption and never moved in the right circles.

I think its a case of certain favours being called in to try to tame him.

jayteeto
2nd May 2014, 16:48
Scum and cowards. Killing British soldiers could be compared to the French resistance, fair do's, but the way they treated their own was unacceptable. Indescribable what they did in Warrington, Manchester, London etc etc to women and young children. Never ever allow these people to be described as human

MPN11
2nd May 2014, 17:39
As a certain Mr Anthony Blair would say, "It's time to move on". Sadly, whilst he might say that, there are there are many thousands of others who can't, or won't, do that.

There are many dead, maimed and traumatised on both sides of this sorry equation ... and many of them show no inclination to give up "The Struggle".

In some respects, it remains the UK's local Afghanistan. It only needs a few extremists, on either side of the tragic fences, to kick the whole thing off again. And Mr Adams' investigation is a perfect 'cause'.

How sad. Justice, long overdue, may make things worse instead of better ... which is why I fear this will just fizzle out as being "too difficult"

jayteeto
2nd May 2014, 17:58
So how do we do this? Evidence that a male abducted a mother of ten (???) and killed her. Cold blooded scumbag murder. Because of the potential of endangering the so called 'peace' process, it is suggested the law should look the other way???? The day we do this, the rule book should be torn up and ALL crime must be immediately forgotten about up until that moment. All prisoners should be immediately released and the law should restart from that moment in time.
NO ONE SINGLE PERSON CAN BE ABOVE THE LAWS OF THE LAND. Before anyone goes on about MPs, they are included in that statement.

Think that is a ridiculous thought? Then tell me why Adams and McGuinness should be exempt, justify it please.

PS. Remember, as bad as he is, he may actually be innocent of this crime. They did a ****load of infighting as well as murdering. This could be a kick in the balls from the grave.

Wander00
2nd May 2014, 18:07
Jayteeto - I like your line - and as an aside maybe we will see Blair before tribunal, even a court, when they finally produce the Iraq report. Incidentally, one Member of the Inquiry panel is the son of a Cranwell Commandant in the 60s

Boudreaux Bob
2nd May 2014, 19:00
This could be a kick in the balls from the grave.

Indications of a merciful God in Heaven is it?:E

jayteeto
2nd May 2014, 19:25
They were merciless with the population, but there was no honour. It was pure gangster, weakness was exploited and no mercy was shown. Backstabbing to the end

MPN11
2nd May 2014, 19:27
jayteeto ... there's an end? :p

This will go on long after I am dust/ashes.

Danny42C
2nd May 2014, 19:45
It is ironic to hear McGuinness advancing the argument that: "the arrest of Gerry Adams is politically motivated".

Were not the murders so motivated ?

D.

MPN11
2nd May 2014, 19:53
It is ironic to hear McGuinness advancing the argument that: "the arrest of Gerry Adams is politically motivated".
Were not the murders so motivated ?
No, Danny, they were religious. And political. And criminal. And a hobby. And a cultural blight that existed for 400 years. And still does, amongst the mentally-diminished, who won't let go.

i hope McGuiness (never there, not me, not a member) sleeps uneasily tonight.

seadrills
2nd May 2014, 21:34
Who is Gerry Admans and what has this got to do with Military Aviation?

parabellum
2nd May 2014, 21:49
36% parabellum

Mil-26 Man -OK, I stand corrected, assuming the NYT figures are correct, (NYT somewhat famous for their partisan approach to NI).

If we add the civilian severely injured to the civilian dead I think that 36% will grow considerably. The IRA have nothing to be proud of.

air pig
2nd May 2014, 22:01
Who is Gerry Admans and what has this got to do with Military Aviation?

Mainly because so many RAF RN AAC flew in support of, serviced aircraft and stood guard during Operation Banner from the 1969. Remember, RAF Regiment men were murdered in Holland by the IRA. Adam's and his friend McGuiness somewhere were involved in the situation that the poor British servicemen/women were dragged into by the politicians.

NutLoose
2nd May 2014, 22:02
Seadrills, I started the thread so I feel I should answer, I amongst quite a few RAF servicemen on here served in NI during the " troubles" that is why I thought it was pertinent to post it here. As for your lack of knowledge as to who he is, one takes that as a sign of youth and suggest perhaps you should google him. For what it's worth things happened on both sides, and as such I believe the law should be applied to both sides, not just one.

Danny42C
2nd May 2014, 22:21
MPN11,

On this, I beg, with respect, to disagree, as I regard this as an almost universally held misconception.

Religion has been regarded as a major component in this whole hellish brew. But in fact it is actually being used as a "flag". An analogy would be: "All Nationalist Irish have brown eyes, all Unionists have blue". Ergo: "all blue eyes are good, all brown eyes bad" (or vice versa, depending on your political leanings (whereas eyes, per se, have nothing to do with it). On the same logic: "All Catholics are good, all Protestants bad" (the fact that most Nationalists are (nominally) Catholic, and most Unionists are (nominally) Protestant, may lend colour to the view, but does not invalidate the general argument).

At the heart of this is a political dispute with such deep roots in history and such an accompanying host of claims and counter-claims (all marinated in blood), that a Solomon would struggle to sort it out. In the end it is an insoluble conflict over land (similar to the Arab/Israeli dispute in many respects), and what the answer is I do not know.

But if you could take religion out of the equation, the problem would not be ipso facto solved. (Remember the long pre-Reformation history of European wars, when all the combatants were [nominally] of the same faith, and the situation in WWII, when German Catholics (or Lutherans) prayed earnestly to the same God for victory as did their British counterparts - leaving the Almighty in something of a quandary).

Now, I rest my case and bow out, conscious that we are violating that wise old rule that (for good reason) prohibits three subjects for discussion in an Officers' Mess (Religion and Politics being two of them !)

Danny.

Basil
3rd May 2014, 03:29
Dannyu, prohibits three subjects for discussion in an Officers' Mess (Religion and Politics being two of them !)
What was the other one?

sitigeltfel
3rd May 2014, 05:23
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b342/jaceb1/adams_zpsa00fde3e.jpg

jayteeto
3rd May 2014, 07:50
This thread is SO correctly placed, just as a vietnam/iraq/afghan thread would be.

Mil-26Man
3rd May 2014, 09:24
This thread is SO correctly placed, just as a vietnam/iraq/afghan thread
would be.

Yep, a thread for failed wars.

jayteeto
3rd May 2014, 16:33
So true, ALL wars are failures

Danny42C
3rd May 2014, 18:39
Basil,

Use your imagination, Sir ! (and yes, you'll be right - what else would it be ?)

D.

Stendec5
3rd May 2014, 19:57
Gardening?

NutLoose
3rd May 2014, 20:40
Organic or none organic?

Danny42C
3rd May 2014, 23:12
Nutloose,

Undoubtedly Organic.

I'll give you a clue: "vive la differènce !" :ok:

D.

oldpax
4th May 2014, 00:16
De Valera should have taken Northern Ireland when it was offered by Churchill during WW2 in return for the south abandoning neutrality!!So all the evidence against Gerry Adams is coming from Boston(USA),that's ironic!

mad_jock
4th May 2014, 04:49
I did have a pint with an intel type just after Sept/11.

He did make the point that a terrorist act had, had more effect on the troubles than any policy or action by HMG to date.

So it doesn't surprise me that the evidence is coming from the US.

The PIRA lost millions because of that act.

racedo
4th May 2014, 13:32
De Valera should have taken Northern Ireland when it was offered by Churchill during WW2 in return for the south abandoning neutrality!!

Only thing is Churchill never offered it, with any degree where he could be trusted to deliver.

Admiralty was clear that while Eire joining Allies would have some use, it reality it would cost more because of the need to scatter defensive forces even further across more territory especially when they needed it just to protect home ports.

Luftwaffe Condors used to bomb Scotland and follow western Irish coast before landing in Brest, means all areas of Eire were still attackable.

Population of Eire I believe overwhelmingly supported neutrality during WW2, their war of Independence and Civil War were still in close memory.

Would London have potentially lost the benefit of the thousands of Irish men coming over here to join up or the thousands of men who came across to labour in factories or building airfields ?

As to Adams, believe its political. It also means every member of armed forces that has been involved in killing / injuring a civilian is now under same basis of being chargeable for what they did then as well as those who gave orders.

teeteringhead
4th May 2014, 13:41
prohibits three subjects for discussion in an Officers' Mess (Religion and Politics being two of them !) I always thought that it was before the Loyal Toast that one couldn't talk about the Mess Silver or touch the women .......

......... something like that anyway........

........ one must away to consult one's Stradling. ;)

langleybaston
4th May 2014, 13:56
stradling makes one vulnerable, surely?

ian16th
4th May 2014, 14:03
http://www.independent.co.uk/incoming/article9314064.ece/alternates/w1024/daily-cartoon-20140502.jpg

4mastacker
4th May 2014, 16:07
Adams to be released without charge (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-27278039)

NutLoose
4th May 2014, 18:07
Actually it will be released pending further enquiries..

Sinn Féin leader Gerry Adams has been released from custody over a 1972 murder and a file will be sent to the Public Prosecution Service, police have confirmed

The decision to release Mr Adams would mean that prosecution lawyers will decide if charges will be brought.

The file sent by the police to the Public Prosecution Service (PPS) will detail the evidence gathered.

It will be up to PPS lawyers to decide if there is enough evidence to bring any charges and what those charges would be.

The test for prosecution is met if there is sufficient evidence that can be admitted in court to provide a reasonable prospect of conviction. Lawyers must also decide if the prosecution is required in the public interest.

strake
4th May 2014, 18:10
While I have some sympathy with the 'freedom fighter' concept, the murder of civilians in England and Northern Ireland should never be part of the 'move-on' process.
Adams is always very precise with his comments, viz: '..I can categorically state I was not involved in the kidnapping or murder...' etc. What about the planning or the knowledge the act was to take place?
Stick him on Question Time or in front of Paxman and let's find out.

Wander00
4th May 2014, 18:16
Anyone listen to The Reunion on Radio4 today, about the aftermath for families of the Armagh bombing. If the evidence is there I hope a prosecution will follow. Sinn Fein's attempt to bully the PSNI and judiciary over charging or otherwise of anyone is beneath contempt.

NutLoose
4th May 2014, 21:29
I notice in his speech he was referring to his questioning as interrogation and those questioning him as interrogators ... Is it me or does his wording seem careful orchestrated to make his questioning sound more than the normal.

GreenKnight121
5th May 2014, 03:38
As to Adams, believe its political. It also means every member of armed forces that has been involved in killing / injuring a civilian is now under same basis of being chargeable for what they did then as well as those who gave orders.

Playing fast&loose with law and reality in order to support a personal position, are we?

The IRA was not ever an official agency of the ROI, thus all acts by the IRA and its members were those of private citizens - not those of government agents acting in accordance with their officially assigned duties (members of the Armed Forces acting under orders).

The laws, precedents, and legal status of the two are massively different.

tartare
5th May 2014, 03:55
In the time I spent in the UK it seemed to me that ascribing some sort of political or religious motive to the IRA always seemed to be attributing too much to them.
Despite all the over-wrought, dramatic rhetoric, they came across as little more than common criminals, should be treated as such and pursued ruthlessly.
Paramilitaries?
Bull****. Just scum with guns and the odd big bomb.
Freedom fighters, my arse.

500N
5th May 2014, 03:59
Mad Jock (or anyone else)

Re your post at the top, particularly the last sentence

"I did have a pint with an intel type just after Sept/11.
He did make the point that a terrorist act had, had more effect on the troubles than any policy or action by HMG to date.
So it doesn't surprise me that the evidence is coming from the US.
The PIRA lost millions because of that act."

Are you talking about the Omagh bombing ?

And did that bombing or some other act cause support from the US
to cease or at least dwindle ?

luoto
5th May 2014, 05:39
Interestingly but not surprisingly the BBC was the only outlet to trail and then lead with Adams ppbeing released without charge, event when other outlets mentioned the file being sent up for decisions.

mad_jock
5th May 2014, 06:00
9 11 twin towers was in the heartland of the Irish descendents country.

The feeling at the time was PIRA were freedom fighters against British oppression.

Quite a few that were killed in the towers provided substantial financial support and also facilitated certain bits of equipment to be provided. There were functions thrown for fundraising for hunger strikers family's and stuff like that which the family's saw very little of the cash afterwards.

Twin towers came down and freedom fighters lost there appeal. Along with the fact that more than a few supporters were now dead due to a terrorist act.

Cash dried up, equipment dried up.

There are still republican pubs in NY that do pass the bucket as they say. But most Americans won't have anything to do with it now after being on the receiving end of freedom fighters attentions. People in public office couldn't afford to have any links with any of that sort of thing. So stuff that had had a blind eye turned to was stopped and tacticaly never mentioned again.

The other major change was when the sisters of a murdered guy from Belfast got to meet the president and it was splashed all over the papers the torture he went through. And they were quite open that they were receiving death threats for doing what they were doing going to the state's to complain the president.

The support from the state's is a fraction of what it used to be. I seem to remember the number 20 million a year as the estimated funding from the US pre 9/11. But I maybe wrong.

500N
5th May 2014, 06:07
Mad Jock

Thanks, understand now.

mad_jock
5th May 2014, 06:33
There will be quite a few with quite in depth knowledge about what was going on in 60's to 90's in NI in the US. I wouldn't be suprised if paperwork after grandad kicked the bucket is coming to light found by a generation who finds that sort of thing disgusting.

And we're as before Captain O Connel NYPD would have disposed of it, after pulling body's out of rubble for 14 days as a rookie he now documents it and processes it so it can't be lost.

Tankertrashnav
5th May 2014, 08:38
Wander00 - yes I listened to The Reunion as well. The families of the Omagh victims were all badly let down by the authorities on both side of the border, including bungling of evidence by the RUC as it was at the time, which lessened the chances of a criminal prosecution.

As to the "let the sleeping dogs lie" attitude, as some lady on the Today programme said this morning, if we can prosecute men for feeling up girls 40 years ago, it's unthinkable that we shouldn't do the same for murderers.

ShotOne
5th May 2014, 10:11
It's thoroughly unpleasant, tt but not unthinkable. We did a deal on Good Friday. It was deeply unpleasant to watch some vile people walk out of prison where they deserved to rot but that's what it took to end the conflict.

jayteeto
5th May 2014, 10:28
The problem is that is hasn't really ended, has it??
Its a really really difficult situation for politicians. I would not like to be in their position.
However my earlier post stands true, you cannot forget the law in isolated cases, just to make one thing better. Any law system is there to SERVE THE PEOPLE, not the politicians. The only way that this can work, is to pardon EVERY prisoner in the the system. The Yorkshire Ripper should be freed if he promises not to kill anyone else, as should Brady, and Levi Bellfield (Milly Dowler), Rose West, Dennis Nilsen, Jon Venables, Ian Huntley etc etc. The IRA murders killed many more than these people combined. All they have done is promise they won't do it again................ unless Gerry Adams gets charged and then it's all back on........... Can't you see the irony of it all??
As terrible as it is, it is better to restart a war than to let murders go unpunished.

mad_jock
5th May 2014, 11:21
jay everyone knows it will never end in our or our grandkids life times

To much money involved and even if they got there way all it would mean would be the other side would start the same stupidity with the Guardia having to deal with it.