PDA

View Full Version : Cessna down in Tassie?

flywatcher
30th Apr 2014, 06:19
ABC Tasmania reports Cessna?? crashed at Agfest, 32 year old pilot OK.

outnabout
30th Apr 2014, 06:31
Tasmanian pilot escapes light plane crash

20 minutes ago April 30, 2014 4:08PM

A PILOT has escaped uninjured after crashing a light plane near a festival site in northern Tasmania.

The single-engine Cessna crashed on landing near Tasmania's rural festival, Agfest, about 2pm (AEST) on Wednesday.
The 32-year-old pilot lost control, police said, and the plane ploughed through two fences before coming to rest on its roof.
He was not hurt and no passengers were on board.
Agfest, which attracts thousands of visitors, begins on Thursday near the small town of Carrick.

Glad to hear he walked away.

VH-XXX
30th Apr 2014, 06:59
At least he didn't run into a ferris wheel at the festival :ok:

Rotor Work
30th Apr 2014, 08:11
Aircraft pilot loses control on landing at Agfest | The Examiner (http://www.examiner.com.au/story/2250057/aircraft-pilot-loses-control-on-landing-at-agfest/?cs=95)

Glad no injuries,
VH MKQ,
I had a few hours flying her.

http://transform.fairfaxregional.com.au/transform/v1/crop/frm/storypad-cEhczfdf7xzEKFmkduwWkH/f0346c8d-e09b-4fe7-a8f9-543dfe272c34.JPG/r0_0_1280_720_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Fly Safe
Regards
R W

Wally Mk2
30th Apr 2014, 10:07
If ya gunna have a crash best do it in a plane with some 'crush' ability unlike those trike contraptions which took the life of a man recently leaving a daughter fatherless sadly:-(

Wmk2

Two_dogs
30th Apr 2014, 10:17
I had a few hours flying her.

No visible panel or prop damage. Looks like if you carefully turned her back over, you could fly her a few more.

UnderneathTheRadar
30th Apr 2014, 10:25
took the life of a man recently leaving a daughter an orphan

Wal, not to be a pedant but unless her mum has already left us, she's not an orphan.....

VH-XXX
30th Apr 2014, 10:52
Someone needs to say it....

It'll buff out :ok:

BlatantLiar
30th Apr 2014, 10:56
At least he didn't run into a ferris wheel at the festival

First thing to cross my mind. :ok:

Wally Mk2
30th Apr 2014, 10:58
'UTR' yeah I know not strictly correct but I think most would get my point.
In fact I think I'll remove that comment, might offend somebody.

Wmk2

Jenna Talia
1st May 2014, 05:07
Very good comment there Wal re the trike :ok:

Rotor Work
1st May 2014, 07:43
I called into Agfest today, I couldn't see the 172,
I had read that the Tasmanian Aero Club were going to have 2 aircraft on display, MKQ landed on wet grass. The pilot has a G A license & R A instructors ticket.

Fly Safe
R W

Update from the Examiner

ATSB probe into Agfest plane crash | The Examiner (http://www.examiner.com.au/story/2252846/atsb-probe-into-agfest-plane-crash/?cs=95)

ATSB probe into Agfest plane crash

By LUCY POSKITT

May 1, 2014, 12:15 p.m.
http://transform.fairfaxregional.com.au/transform/v1/crop/frm/storypad-cEhczfdf7xzEKFmkduwWkH/9c78c42d-83d5-4943-810c-cdb0f2395ae1.JPG/r0_0_1200_675_w1200_h678_fmax.jpgPhoto by Geoff Robson

A LIGHT plane crash at Carrick yesterday afternoon will be investigated by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau.

The Cessna crashed shortly before 2pm into a paddock at Quercus Rural Youth Park, the home of Agfest.
The Launceston pilot, 32, walked away from the accident.
A spokesman for the ATSB said the investigation had started, and would include interviews with the pilot and examining photos of the aircraft.
``The aircraft touched down and the pilot applied the brakes, however, the aircraft did not decelerate normally,'' he said.
``The aircraft overran the runway, collided with a fence, and the nose landing gear entered a ditch.
``The aircraft rolled over and came to rest inverted. The pilot was uninjured and the aircraft was substantially damaged.''
The report would be released within several months, the ATSB said.
It was previously reported the Civil Aviation Safety Authority would investigate the crash; however, CASA is a regulatory body and will only look at whether any regulatory breaches have occurred after the release of the ATSB report.

1st May 2014, 08:03
It was previously reported the Civil Aviation Safety Authority would investigate the crash; however, CASA is a regulatory body and will only look at whether any regulatory breaches have occurred after the release of the ATSB report.

Finally some has cottoned on to the fact that ATSB not CASA investigates accidents:ok:

Ultralights
1st May 2014, 08:23
applied the brakes on wet grass? no traction = loss of control, just sayin..

Seagull V
1st May 2014, 09:57
Two Dogs
So how would you actually "carefully turn her back over" without causing further damage? I would be interested to know if there is a way, short of taking the wings and other things off. I was never able to work it out.

tasdevil.f27
1st May 2014, 10:00
30mm of rain the previous day as well, so the ground was bloody wet. Can't say I'd been keen trying to land on a wet potentially boggy grass paddock.

Howard Hughes
1st May 2014, 10:50
Finally some has cottoned on to the fact that ATSB not CASA investigates accidents
If the ATSB do not investigate a crash/incident then CASA will investigate for regulatory breaches. My understanding is that CASA investigates a lot more incidents than the ATSB! :eek:

LeadSled
3rd May 2014, 06:52
------ then CASA will investigate for regulatory breaches.

Yeppp!, That's about it, see if they can do somebody over for something, after all, you can't have an accident without a criminal offence somewhere. All these criminals must be apprehended at all costs.

To quote a former senior lawyer in CASA:" Pilots and engineers are just criminals who haven't been caught yet".
Tootle pip!!

Two_dogs
3rd May 2014, 08:30
Seagull,
So how would you actually "carefully turn her back over" without causing further damage? I would be interested to know if there is a way, short of taking the wings and other things off. I was never able to work it out. It was merely an observation of little aparent damage for an aircraft that ended up inverted after a landing accident. I have no idea how one would turn it back over without further damage.

Here you go, quick amendment.

No visible panel or prop damage. Looks like if you could carefully turn her back over, you could fly her a few more.