PDA

View Full Version : Super puma emergency landing at sumburgh,Lerwick

Oneill99
29th Apr 2014, 21:43
I've just heard from a friend working on the rigs that they had to make an emergency landing at sumburgh because the pilot said all the warning lights had come on.
It's a fault with the gearbox,the pilot told them.
It's going to be on the local news very soon.
The pilot told them they were going to be at 7000 feet for 2 hours.
He woke up when the helicopter was descending really fast.
I've only ever flown a R22 when I was training,and I'm not a pilot but that would scare the **** out of me.

212man
29th Apr 2014, 21:54
all the warning lights had come on

I hate it when that happens, it takes ages to plow through the checklist........Sounds like QF32.......

HeliComparator
29th Apr 2014, 22:43
Probably "All the warning lights" that indicate a chip warning. Oh, that's just the one then!

But so much easier if they all come on, as 212 says you just start at the beginning of the EOPs and work right through. There is no chance of applying the wrong procedure!

Ian Corrigible
29th Apr 2014, 22:48
News report here (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/offshore-helicopter-makes-emergency-landing-3473575). Quotes:
An offshore helicopter has landed safely after a warning light came on mid-flight. The aircraft was about 20 miles south-east of Sumburgh Airport in Shetland when the gearbox problem [warning light] emerged.

A spokeswoman said: "The helicopter landed safely at Sumburgh, it declared a pan-pan - what we call a full aircraft emergency - as a gearbox warning light had come on."

The helicopter involved was a Superpuma EC225 operated by Bristow.

"The aircraft landed safely at Sumburgh Airport and is currently undergoing a fault diagnosis to establish the required maintenance actions."

I/C

Dash8driver1312
30th Apr 2014, 00:10
So the spokesperson is an idiot. Mayday is a full emergency, defined as imminent danger to life or machine, pan calls are urgency calls to get yourself a little priority.

HeliComparator
30th Apr 2014, 07:09
To be fair I think "full aircraft emergency" relates to the airport's status. All the fire engines out, other traffic held off etc. it would be the same for a mayday, presuming they had time.

cyclic
30th Apr 2014, 11:15
7000' for two hours - man can't live up there which is why the warning light came on.

helimutt
30th Apr 2014, 12:47
Thank god for the media to get this accurate info to us all. :ugh:

shetlander
30th Apr 2014, 17:34
Facts are:

Warning light came on.
A/C issued a Pan Pan and diverted to Sumburgh.
ATC called the emergency services.
A/C landed safely.
Emergency services stood down.

End of incident.

Sir George Cayley
30th Apr 2014, 20:54
End of incident.

Start of investigation.

Given recent events there may be greater significance given to this event than normal. What ever normal is.

SGC

TorqueOfTheDevil
1st May 2014, 11:59
I have seen every caption illuminate simultaneously in a Sea King. Needless to say they were all spurious...the only caption which would have been accurate, had there been one, was a Water Ingress caption. Gotta love the all-weather aircraft :ok:

TorqueOfTheDevil
1st May 2014, 12:05
I have seen every caption illuminate simultaneously in a Sea King. Needless to say they were all spurious...the only caption which would have been accurate, had there been one, was a Water Ingress caption. Gotta love the all-weather aircraft :ok:

Fareastdriver
2nd May 2014, 09:25
Must've happened twice.

Thud_and_Blunder
2nd May 2014, 23:07
Must've been serious if he was emergency landing at sumburgh,Lerwick as the original post implied. They're about 20miles away from each other, which is either a very long running landing or a spot of navigational inexactitude.

Mind you, the only problem I've ever found with the lovely field at Lerwick (Tingwall) is the fact that there is no mobile phone signal, even on Vodaphone. That notwithstanding (my current favourite word), the ever-friendly and helpful staff have always looked after us very well there.