PDA

View Full Version : Converting from Jar Cpl to SA Cpl help req

robione
20th May 2002, 15:32
Hi all, got a shot at a job in SA,will be given a validation but need to convert to SA Cpl.What and how many subjects are there?How long will the validation last.?What are the exams like in comparison with the Jar Atpls which ive passed?Any info will be great. Thanks in anticipation

Gooneybird
2nd Jun 2002, 19:42
If you've done all your JAR subjects then conversion is the 'air law and procedures' exam and a flight test, plus probably an SA CAA medical.

Glynis
14th Jun 2002, 18:02
You need to be sure to differentiate between getting a validation on your foreign licence, and an actual SA CPL.

For the validation, you would need to write the SA CPL air law exam (and if you want the validated IFR as well, you also have to do the Ops and Procedures exam). You then have to do a flight test with a designated examiner and get your radio licence "rubber stamped". You then submit a bunch of paperwork to SACAA and you have your validation. This lasts for 12 months max or while your foreign licence and medical remain valid, whichever is the shorter period. You do not need to do an SA medical.

For a full SA CPL you will need to write ALL the CAA CPL exams, do an SA medical, a general radio licence and do the flight tests with a designated examiner, both CPL and IF tests if required. Then all the paperwork again, and you're away.

Hope this helps.

porridge
14th Jun 2002, 21:15
This is an interesting subject, so if one can convert the licence can one 'legally' be employed whilst there are many local individuals possibly also seeking work?
What about instructors? Rumour has it that certain FTO's are employing JAA qualified instructors to do JAA training and these people do not have the right to work in SA and are being paid whilst having only PPL validated privileges. Any comment?

robione
16th Jun 2002, 14:03
Thanks for the replys people.The situation is i have declined the offer.I spoke with the FT company it was Commercial instruction for JAR licences.I am of course a JAR instructor and as posted above i would have to do ALL THE SA COMM EXAMS,INSTRUCTOR FLIGHT TEST,COMMERCIAL FLIGHT TEST.It all seemed like to much for my liking,ive got a frozen Jar-atpl getting it has been a nightmare, and i dont really want to put myself through all of the above all over again.Apparently , the company were going to validate my Jar-Cpl allowing me to instruct PPLs{JAR ONLY} until gaining the SA comm.Then i could teach Comm.That was my understanding of the situation, but all of this rested on being issued with a work permit, on the grounds of being a JAR instructor, which was going to take quite some time apparently.Ive put it to bed now and im looking elsewhere.