PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand Regulations - Fresh Air

Sunfish
28th Apr 2014, 09:28
Just returned from a week in NZ to see the South Island and also take in the Wanaka airshow.

What was immediately evident is the vibrant GA sector in NZ.

- At Wanaka one of the events was Jet racing - several jets racing in a triangular course at about Two hundred feet or less, the winner of the last race was in a Vampire. Would CASA countenance such an event? I think not.

- At Milford I watched a turbine helicopter arrive with passengers: pilot leaves aircraft running, opens door and out comes passenger with large hunting dog on lead, followed by other passenger, followed by venison and firearms - all with the done running. Where was the cage and absorbent mat? Who gave permission for firearms?

Since the Wx was perfect that morning, the sightseeing aircraft were as thick as bush flies. Anyone ever seen the approach to Milford and the Steep turn at Two hundred feet to backtrack onto the centreline if arriving from the North? The whole place was buzzing.

Similar at Mount Cook, did Two Glacier flights and landed on same, engine left running while pilot posed for photos and took a few of us.

Paradise. 100% stunning.

Pity its impossible for Australian GA to follow suit.

BlatantLiar
28th Apr 2014, 09:36
several jets racing in a triangular course at about Two hundred feet or less (...) Would CASA countenance such an event?

Hey look, its Sunfish. Isn't he the same guy who was whinging about the height that trikes fly at in the Tyabb thread?

Sunfish
28th Apr 2014, 11:19
trikeboy, there is a difference between flying over paddocks and built up areas, but since you are located in Tasmania, you wouldn't know this.

Chocks Away
28th Apr 2014, 13:04
"Several jets..." How about some f-18's

:ok::}

Wizofoz
28th Apr 2014, 18:35
When the Tasmanian Air Races were running, they had a jet event that involved exactly what you describe, Sunfish.

I don't think it was CASA that stopped them- it just wasn't viable.

Jabawocky
28th Apr 2014, 20:30
I almost started a similar thread but with more detail and a response to Mr McCormick's recent newsletter which seemed pointed at folk like me.

The answers are a bit more complex, and perhaps Creamie can elaborate eloquently on just how simple it should be, but as for the kiwi scene, they have a positive attitude to getting things done. Here it is constantly a battle to see why not to do things.

Over to you Creamie :ok:

Octane
29th Apr 2014, 00:03
Chocks, funny video, but you're forgetting there's probably 100,000 snipers to deal with!
Then again you're right, all hostilities would cease once the beer is cold and the barbie fired up haha!

Oktas8
29th Apr 2014, 04:30
NZ wants safety at reasonable cost. Bureaucracy is a necessary evil.

Australia wants safety at any cost. Bureaucracy is simply necessary.

These two cultural differences pervade all levels of our respective societies, not just govt departments. Hence McCormick's recent editorial was accurate and thorough.

I'd like Australia to rely less on mindless bureaucracy, but it won't happen.

(Just for balance, let's remember that Aust aviation is historically safer than NZ aviation. So the effort is not entirely wasted!)

parabellum
29th Apr 2014, 04:47
Would CASA countenance such an event? I think not.

Not so Sunfish, had the job of setting up air races here in Victoria, course approved, no problem, it was economics that cancelled it, not CASA.

VH-XXX
29th Apr 2014, 04:51
I'm confused :ugh:

Paradise. 100% stunning.

Pity its impossible for Australian GA to follow suit.

So you've identified a number of what look like dangerous activities with potential for the loss of life or otherwise, but yet you call it paradise?

But yet you whine about some trikes with invisible rego numbers flying over Port Phillip bay upsetting your Sunday afternoon sailing event?

What do you actually WANT from CASA Sunfish and what did they ever do to hurt you? Did you have a bad experience with them as a young child?

Sunfish
29th Apr 2014, 06:20
XXX:

So you've identified a number of what look like dangerous activities with potential for the loss of life or otherwise, but yet you call it paradise?

Looked like eminently sensible and safe practices, but probably not consiered so by CASA.

-An uncaged dog? The horror! Firearms? Insane!

But yet you whine about some trikes with invisible rego numbers flying over Port Phillip bay upsetting your Sunday afternoon sailing event?

No. You obviosuly don't know Melbourne. Williamstown is on the coastal track, its sandwiched between Point cook CTAF and the yarra (helicopter) CTAF, it is on the approach to Essendon via West Gate and Bolte bridges and Station Pier. It is the clsoest thing we have to a crossroads. Now add to that Tiger moth joyflights, Yak aerobatic rides, out of Point Cook, Polair choppers ( HQ of Water Police) and a seaplane or Two.

-----and bumbling through that mix comes a radioless trike or a powered parachute showng off - the aviation equivalent of the hated jet ski.

What do you actually WANT from CASA Sunfish and what did they ever do to hurt you? Did you have a bad experience with them as a young child?

What do I want from CASA? Isn't it obvious what everyone wants! A partner in the ongoing development of a prosperous and safe aviation sector, not a ***ing overlord.

............................................................ ............................................................ ..

VH-XXX
29th Apr 2014, 07:56
No. You obviosuly don't know Melbourne. Williamstown is on the coastal track, its sandwiched between Point cook CTAF and the yarra (helicopter) CTAF, it is on the approach to Essendon via West Gate and Bolte bridges and Station Pier. It is the clsoest thing we have to a crossroads. Now add to that Tiger moth joyflights, Yak aerobatic rides, out of Point Cook, Polair choppers ( HQ of Water Police) and a seaplane or Two.

-----and bumbling through that mix comes a radioless trike or a powered parachute showng off - the aviation equivalent of the hated jet ski.

I happen to know just a bit about Melbourne airspace ;)

Take it to CASA and Airservices, write to the minister. The Jetskis of the sky are only doing what they are legally entitled to do... That is, fly in class G airspace without a radio. You'll find that most trikes are radio equipped by the way. There is no argument to suggest that mandating radios will solve the problems at Williamstown with the level of traffic at times.

As for powered parachutes, they aren't permitted over built up areas, so if they are operating over them, speak up and alert those that need to know.

Creampuff
29th Apr 2014, 10:08
The answers are a bit more complex, and perhaps Creamie can elaborate eloquently on just how simple it should be, but as for the kiwi scene, they have a positive attitude to getting things done. Here it is constantly a battle to see why not to do things.

Over to you CreamieThe right people with the right skills and the right attitude (and, critically importantly, with 'top cover' from the Minister and Cabinet) could review and revise the Kiwi rules, in the light of Commonwealth adjectival and other law, and produce a very close Australian equivalent.

The problem is that there is no imperative to do so. The sick, expensive Frankenstein that is the regulatory reform program makes no difference to the electoral fortunes of governments.

The 'fix' is already in: 2 new Board members for CASA. Peace for our time! :yuk:

Sunfish
29th Apr 2014, 23:53
XXX:

Take it to CASA and Airservices, write to the minister. The Jetskis of the sky are only doing what they are legally entitled to do... That is, fly in class G airspace without a radio. You'll find that most trikes are radio equipped by the way. There is no argument to suggest that mandating radios will solve the problems at Williamstown with the level of traffic at times.

As for powered parachutes, they aren't permitted over built up areas, so if they are operating over them, speak up and alert those that need to know.

Speak up and alert?? Are you for real? Ever tried reporting a theft to Police? My tech counsellor had a $20,000 pre fab shed stolen before it could be assembled, the Police response was "stiff cheese".

The predictable response to reporting anything like this will be "oh really?" followed by a request for hard evidence right down to shoe sizes, followed by zilch happening. Furthermore, doing anything like reporting something to CASA risks getting branded a "Troublemaker".

Your resorting to "legalities" is also pitiful. Trikes may be legally allowed to fly in class G airspace over Williamstown at 1000 ft, but they don't do that, they do it at 300ft or less. As for powered parachutes, they dont respect any rules at all.

If you know so much about the regulation of trikes and powered parachutes, then YOU can pass on the message to them.

Me? I'lll just let nature take its course and hope it isn't me or someone I know who inevitably is going to tangle with these idiots.

VH-XXX
30th Apr 2014, 00:22
Your resorting to "legalities" is also pitiful. Trikes may be legally allowed to fly in class G airspace over Williamstown at 1000 ft, but they don't do that, they do it at 300ft or less. As for powered parachutes, they dont respect any rules at all.

If you know so much about the regulation of trikes and powered parachutes, then YOU can pass on the message to them.

Me? I'lll just let nature take its course and hope it isn't me or someone I know who inevitably is going to tangle with these idiots.

How many times on here do we see threads where we all say, "if only someone had spoken up earlier, it might not have happened." :ugh:

Been there, done that.

It's very easy, you call CASA at Moorabbin, speak to Geoff or someone similar, maybe call Mick, tell them the issue and when it's happening, give a description. If it's after hours, get a number off them so you can call them when it's happening outside business hours. If they ARE actually doing what you say, flying at 300ft, over built up areas with invisible rego's, they can call in Polair and hunt them down. They will happily involve the Police as what you are describing involves quite a few demerit points so they should make a pretty penny out of it. With prior warning,

Air Services can track them and phone up where they are landing as they arrive. I've seen it done before and even answered the phone to hear, "this is John Smith from CASA and I want to speak to the pilot of the aircraft landing on runway 35 right now."

Speak up and alert?? Are you for real? Ever tried reporting a theft to Police? My tech counsellor had a $20,000 pre fab shed stolen before it could be assembled, the Police response was "stiff cheese".

I find that hard to believe.

Sunfish
30th Apr 2014, 01:18
xxx:

I find that hard to believe.

Unfortunately true, or else I'm in real trouble - he keeps telling me my workmanship is good:)