PDA

View Full Version : South Africa for EU Citizens

Joaquín
19th Nov 2001, 01:55
Is it easy for a EU citizen to obtain working permit in South Africa?

I was thinking on the possibility of going there to do a CFI (or something else) and try to work for a while as an instructor.

I have no idea about immigration regulations or anything else, so any information would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Base leg
19th Nov 2001, 03:12
http://www.southafricahouse.com/

before you visit them you'll need a letter from a flying club offering you a job.

PingPong
19th Nov 2001, 10:29
Joaquin - nice thought but I would seriously suggest you forget it. I have been there and have the tee-shirt; it ain't worth it.

I have an SA Commercial Multi/IR with SA Instructor's Rating as well as a European licence. In addition, from a previous career, I have extensive business development experience. I was offered a job with a South African school to both instruct and help develop and expand the business, with specific reference to gain more students from Europe - this would have, in turn, led to more employment to South Africans as well as leading to more foreign exchange for SA.

This was all for a salary of about one tenth of my previous income (yes, some of us instruct because we enjoy it!!!!!!!!).

There is no 'initial screening' of a potential application so, in a nutshell, this is how it goes:

1. Wait for job to be advertised in newspaper for one month. Collect all clippings of advertisement and stick them on a piece of paper (no. I'm not kidding).

2. Leave SA for England, preferably before 1. above with an uncertain date of return and no income in England. Return to SA prohibited while permit application being reviewed.

3. Obtain Medical Clearance certificate and Police Clearance Certificate. Application not accepted without the latter which takes about a month to come through.

4. Fill in all applications, with numerous photocopies, job motivation, details of employer's efforts to find "Flying Instructor in SA who has extensive business experience, and European flying experience" (who is prepared to work for a tiny income for the love of the job). Explain why this is all good for SA. Attach the important "clippings". Take whole package (in my case about 45 pages) up to London (must be outside SA) to avoid several weeks delay if any problem.

5. Be advised that one form or another is wrong. In my case, one form I had been given was incorrect; and because I divorced twenty years ago they needed forms filling in about maintenance payments although I have no children.

6. Sort everything out again and return to London. (Living in London a bonus!)

7. Arrange for courier to pick up application in London and take it to Home Affairs in Pretoria. (This is a useful tip - it saves about three weeks on the application!!)

7. Wait and count cost of application. In my case, including all costs, about 1,200 GBP. This doesn't include cost of sitting doing nothing while waiting. Feel glad that employer will pick up cost when application successful.

8. Wait in total, including job ad time and police clearance certificate, about 4 months.

9. Receive letter of rejection and kiss goodbye to 1,200 GBP.

It is such a shame to say this, but trying to get a work permit for SA is a complete waste of time if you have ANY other alternative.

It doesn't seem to matter what qualifications or experience you have. And if you're not black, coloured (and preferably a woman) you really have very little chance. SA operates a racial policy called "Affirmative Action" which means that white males are at the bottom of the heap.

If all the above sounds a bit bleak - particularly for the future of South Africa; it is!! I have taken my expertise elsewhere.

Quite recently the British CBI made a complaint to the SA government that they had investors who wanted to put money into projects in SA, but the investors couldn't get work permits for the project managers.

Says it all really.

Since my experience I have had conversations with other people trying for work permits. All the experiences are roughly similar. Yes, some do get them. How, looking at what they are doing, is beyond me. But one must remember that South Africa is still a third world country by any normal standards - so one doesn't need any prize for guessing how. I have come across people with forged ID's, phoney SA passports etc, all working. But do you want to stay in a SA prison for a while....I would strongly suggest not!!

I am sorry if the above sounds a bit negative, but it is! Stay well clear!

[ 19 November 2001: Message edited by: PingPong ]

BillyFish2
19th Nov 2001, 16:52
Just to add to what PingPong said, even if you do get in after all that, you never know once the 12 months is up how long it will be before they chuck you out. I had a full time job in Cape Town 1998 (not flying unfortunately) with everything set up by my employer - visa application with proof they couldn't get someone else locally (yeep - advertisement clippings and the rest, etc...). When it came towards the end of my 12 months I could not get a straight answer from Internal Affairs if I could stay another year, 6 months or 3 months. It depended on who you rang, the day of the week you rang and what mood Chief Buthelezi (Minister
for Internal Affairs) was in. It was a nonsense.

Probably one of the most beautiful places in the world to visit or fly in but don't try
working there!

nickos37
20th Nov 2001, 22:58
Take it easy guys,most countries's Immigration policies make no sense some times and that's what Immigration is for:to make your life difficult and discourage you of taking sb else's job.BUT if you follow the right path and have the right documentation you'll get what you want.
What about the USA Immigration policies,you think they make sense,you think it's easy to enter and work in the USA?The US INS has reputation of being the hardest in the world,yet so many immigrants every year follow vcertain procedures and get the work permit or become US residents,nothing wrong with that because competition is always good.What about Greece,Italy,Austria,Belgium or many other European countries,is it so easy and simple for non-Europeans to work?
What exactly is the definition of the term 'third world country'?Is it a country that is economically weak or a country that its laws and policies do not agree with the American or British standards?
I would encourage anybody to try to get a job in any place in the world,if it doesn't work out then try another place,you just wasted time and money,not a big deal...

Anti Skid On
21st Nov 2001, 15:46
I've been over here (New Zealand) for the last 6 months, and the place is heaving with South Africans, leaving in droves, largely down to crime!

Have you considered either NZ or Aus for professional flying?

Admittedly wages are crap here too (I halved my UK salary) but the cost of living is way cheaper. If you have a wad of UK£ then you'd easily fund mucho time here (NZ$100 wet - about £30) If you are under 32 you can get what is called a working holday visa which is valid for 12 months (about £40).

There are lots of clubs offering training, so instructing, tug piloting, crop spraying, tourist flights, etc....

But don't know much on licence conversion! ;)

wheels up
21st Nov 2001, 23:16
If NZ / Ozz is so great for flying jobs and Africa is such a hole, how come there are so many Aussies / Kiwwies out here flying or looking for flying jobs.

Just wondering

Woof