PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter down in AFG

pilot and apprentice
26th Apr 2014, 10:21
BBC News - Nato troops die in Afghanistan helicopter crash (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-27170955)

The BBC are reporting it but no indication of mil/civil airframe.

Anyone else have better details?

pilot and apprentice
26th Apr 2014, 16:02
http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/538638-uk-helicopter-down-afghanistan.html

answered. sad news

MightyGem
26th Apr 2014, 21:31
Sad news indeed. Condolences to all involved. :(

satsuma
27th Apr 2014, 05:41
https://www.gov.uk/government/fatalities/five-uk-service-personnel-killed-in-Afghanistan

"Three of the servicemen were from the Army Air Corps, based at RAF Odiham in Hampshire. One was a Royal Air Force serviceman also based at RAF Odiham. One was a member of the Army Reserve from 3 Military Intelligence Battalion, based in London.

The next of kin of all the servicemen have been informed."

RIP

espresso drinker
29th Apr 2014, 06:48
Tragic. Any information/speculation/rumours on the cause? Haven't heard anything at this end, but interesting that the other aircraft in the fleet haven't been grounded. :(

AnFI
1st May 2014, 08:36
Espresso Drinker is long for 'Ed', as in short for Editor...

May be journo fishing. "Haven't heard anything at this end"
Which end is that?

possibly unfair, just speculation on my part. dangerous stuff speculation.

pointless speculation would also include:

More pointless hobby horse riding on a thread about a fatal accident. There are times when AnFI could do with a long think before posting.

SP

212man
1st May 2014, 10:42
Good to see you managed yet another opportunity to air your hobby horse. Nice....:ugh::ugh:

AnFI
6th May 2014, 10:01
according to the BBC it is reported as being "technical problems" - I guess engine failure can be ruled out, otherwise they might say so? and anyway you can keep flying when one engine fails in a twin. It may be one of those 'fog of war' issues.

Quote BBC: "

The Taliban says its fighters shot the aircraft down but BBC defence correspondent Caroline Wyatt says her sources suggest the cause of the crash could have been "technical problems".
A former commander of British forces in Afghanistan, Col Richard Kemp, added: "The Taliban are masters of propaganda - they claim huge numbers of things that haven't actually happened.
"Of course it's a feather in their hat if they've managed to shoot down a British helicopter but if the MoD is saying, 'It's not been shot down, it's a technical problem,' then I certainly believe that."
"

SilsoeSid
6th May 2014, 10:34
AnFI;

Today of all days, may I suggest that you just simply shut up :ugh:

BBC News - Afghanistan helicopter crash victims repatriated to UK (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-27289712)

The bodies of five UK service personnel who died in a helicopter crash in southern Afghanistan will arrive back in the UK later (today).

Capt Thomas Clarke, Warrant Officer Class 2 Spencer Faulkner and Cpl James Walters were from the Army Air Corps.

The others killed on 26 April were RAF intelligence officer Flt Lt Rakesh Chauhan and L/Cpl Oliver Thomas of the Intelligence Corps.

An aircraft carrying the bodies will land at RAF Brize Norton at 13:30 BST.

A ceremony will be held at the airbase before the cortege leaves for the John Radcliffe Hospital at about 16:45.
:(

212man
6th May 2014, 11:11
may I suggest that you just simply shut up

Silsoe, I think you missed out two words.....:mad:

AnFI
7th May 2014, 19:11
... today any better? (not much eh? never will be...)

I am just as upset to see such fine young dynamic talents extinguished.

Carrying around 600kg of engine spares is probably the least appropriate use of payload.

Lonewolf_50
7th May 2014, 21:28
today any better? (not much eh? never will be...) I am just as upset to see such fine young dynamic talents extinguished.

Carrying around 600kg of engine spares is probably the least appropriate use of payload.
Just curious:

What part of
More pointless hobby horse riding on a thread about a fatal accident. There are times when AnFI could do with a long think before posting.
was it that you didn't grasp?

RIP to those five who were out doing the mission to the last ... *salute*

AnFI
7th May 2014, 22:37
which part of:
" I am just as upset to see such fine young dynamic talents extinguished."
don't YOU grasp! it's a tradegy and I feel desperately sad for their families.

I am particularly upset because there's a fair chance it was my 'pointless hobby horse' to blame.
If it was, then it's not such a pointless hobby horse is it?

We have to wait for the report.

Vie sans frontieres
8th May 2014, 11:45
You really need to learn when to drop it. Discussion is a good thing. Pointless provocation is not.

Boudreaux Bob
8th May 2014, 14:53
These guys are being mourned by US Army Crews that got to know them while working alongside them.

We all share in their loss and offer our condolences to their families, friends, and comrades in arms.

Torquetalk
8th May 2014, 21:10
Persistance is an interesting quality. Anthrax is persistant.