PDA

View Full Version : Use for iPad for PPL Holders

TODA.1
26th Apr 2014, 10:10
For a PPL Holder, do you think that an iPad is useful?
What apps / software do you all use?

Thanks

OhNoCB
26th Apr 2014, 10:17
Yes. Aeroweather, Skydemon, Goodreader, WnB pro, Logten Prp, EuroFPL, PilotWiz.

robin
26th Apr 2014, 11:14
FWIW I think the iPad is the platform of choice for Skydemon. A lot of the functions work better on them than on Android tablets. You do have to be aware though that Apple do force you on to an upgrade path of their choosing and the iPads are significantly more expensive.

If you did as I did and buy an older version iPad, I now find the software can't receive updates for SD.

My view is that if you have a definite need for an iPad outside of aviation usage, then go ahead. If you are buying it specially for aviation, save money and get an Android. They are cheaper, perform well and if you drop them or lose them, the financial loss is easier to bear

dublinpilot
26th Apr 2014, 20:09
I use EasyVFR by PocketFMS (http://www.pocketfms.com/easyvfr/). That's about it. It has everything that I need for flying (planning, navigation, NOTAMs, advanced weather forecast).

Stu B
26th Apr 2014, 22:34
Like Dublinpilot, its EasyVFR for me. Lots of unique useful capabilities - the way they present the weather information in Europe is just brilliant.:ok:

Genghis the Engineer
26th Apr 2014, 23:23
I'm not an iPad user, but a lot of people I know enthuse at massive length about the joys and benefits of SkyDemon on iPad.

I like my paper chart and PLOG, supplemented by a Garmin Aera. But of course, the challenge of today is that there's so much technology available, you have to make some choice as to your preferences.

G

Johnm
27th Apr 2014, 06:38
I no longer carry any paper in the cockpit. IPad with Skydemon coupled with GTN 650 and Garmin Aera gives me all I need.

I don't use the real time GPS capability of Skydemon, but it has all the charts I need both VFR and IFR as well as all the plates for aerodromes. Moreover they are always up to date which the paper ones never are.

Should I fly to Holland again, which in haven't for a while. I'll buy a chart in case of ramp checks, but it'll never be unfolded!

I get weather and notams from Skydemon when planning, but use other sources as well such as Orbifly and the Met office, AIS and Olivia.

The French have all the IFR and VFR aerodrome plates in IPad and iPhone Apps VAC and IVAC so I tend to have those as well. Pooleys also have an App and others are appearing more or less daily.

Crash one
27th Apr 2014, 10:24
Anyone else using RunwayHD? Rather than Skydemon?

Piper19
27th Apr 2014, 11:28
I use Airnav Pro, currently without paid charts because I still have some valid paper ones. I'll stay either with Airnav Pro, or go with Jeppesens Mobile Flitedeck VFR. Jep's price is a bit steep however, so I'm waiting until next year to have a bit of reviews from other pilots first.
For aircraft performance calculations and an E6B I use Gyronimo products.
I also email preflight bulletins (with Notam and weather reports) to myself when doing flight preparation on the laptop, so they will be automatically on the iPad through iClouds.

Talkdownman
27th Apr 2014, 11:38
RunwayHD shows HIRTAs as 'Restricted Areas'. Accordingly I wonder how much else is wrong on RunwayHD...

airpolice
27th Apr 2014, 12:21
My third gen iPad and Memory Map, despite the kind of "General" GPS locations when not using a Bluetooth GPS recevier, and the dreadful, position every ten seconds issue, is great.

I particularly enjoy using the track facility to see where we have been, when I get home.

If there was a way to get it to record a position every second, it would be so much better.

I'm thinking of buying a combined kneeboard/ipad holder.

Crash one
28th Apr 2014, 10:07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash one

RunwayHD shows HIRTAs as 'Restricted Areas'. Accordingly I wonder how much else is wrong on RunwayHD... Quote.

As a bimbling tool using CAA quarter mill charts I can't see much wrong with it.
It's does all the sums, records tracks etc, latest has Google mapping if you want it. Whether the Rain Radar function is useable at altitude I don't know but it works ok at bug smashing alt (mobile signal I believe)
I wouldn't think it's designed for commercial ops.