PDA

View Full Version : Central NSW stop offs

UnderneathTheRadar
26th Apr 2014, 05:43
Melbourne - Gold Coast - the bladder & the kids will need a stop off. Assuming Gold Coast has fuel, won't need it on way up, might on way back.

Best stop off airports? Think I ve tried most over the years but making sure I've not missed the obvious.... Criteria:
- sealed
- landing fee
- fuel price not a rip-off (not Coffs then...)
- ease of access for kid/wife to get in/out
- toilets
- food (coffee!)

Candidates
- Bathurst
- Mudgee
- Tamworth
- Temora (too off route?)
- Dubbo

Am I missing any obvious ones?

UTR

mcgrath50
26th Apr 2014, 05:58
Not sure about the fuel/ripoff issue as I haven't refuelled there. But Cessnock, walking distance to wineries, restaurants and cafes. Cab ride to some great restaurants and wineries. Tough for the pilot great for the travelling partner! :ok:

bentleg
26th Apr 2014, 06:20
Orange might suit (no landing fee under 2000kg -why do you require a landing fee?)

Not sure that you can get coffee at Bathurst, possibly at aero club.

There is no coffee shop at Temora although the aero club is friendly and has coffee. The museum is excellent even on a non-flying display day.

Horatio Leafblower
26th Apr 2014, 06:53
Of the proposed options, the only viable ones would be Dubbo, Cessnock and Tamworth because all have espresso.

Failure of the espresso machine may or may not be published in NOTAMs.

Quality of Tamworth espresso is variable. Dubbo toilets and cafe always clean.

Cafe at Cessnock is a shortish walk, no RPT secur-a-wank, general non-flying public a major part of their trade and lots of competition so standards are high! :ok:

Fieldmouse
26th Apr 2014, 07:00
Tamworth coffee quality too variable, added ATC charge as well, how about Armidale? Quality café, laid back locals.

Creampuff
26th Apr 2014, 07:47
Narromine? (Can't comment on the quality of coffee available, but my recollection is that it's a pretty friendly and active flying club with very good facilities.)

mcgrath50
26th Apr 2014, 07:52
Actually Blue Wren at Mudgee across the road from the airport was excellent when I was last there 6 years ago. Highly recommended. Probably above Cessnock if you only have time for a lunch or coffee and a quick taste.

chimbu warrior
26th Apr 2014, 10:51
Dubbo ticks all boxes.

Narromine had very expensive fuel last time I was there.

Ultralights
26th Apr 2014, 11:33
Narromine fuel is $2.35 as of yesterday

VH-XXX
26th Apr 2014, 21:55
Did the same trip a couple of years back. Dubbo is good as you can easily buy food at the terminal.

Also good if you are staying the night, lots of affordable accommodation nearby plus hire cars. A landing fee will apply.

What are you flying with more than two seats that goes non-stop from Melbourne to the Gold Coast??

fujii
26th Apr 2014, 22:31
I have done it a few times. The inland route is fairly boring. The majority of times I have gone Wagga, Bathurst, pick up the Coast South of Williamtown then low level via Taree and Coffs. I have also dropped into Port Macquarie and Coffs Harbour. I have stayed at Evans Head twice, I very nice town. It is much more picturesque than going inland. Navigation is easy, keep Australia on the left and enjoy the trip. Last January I varied it a bit and went via Wagga and Camden. A good exercise flying the lane between Sydney and Richmond.

Except for Evans Head, all places have fuel. Don't worry about twenty cent differences in fuel, it's a very small part of the cost. You can get by at each location with Visa, Air BP and Mobil cards.

Security gates either have the code displayed airside or have a phone number on them (Wagga and Port Macquarie).

Coastal North go Gold Coast is great. If you have time, do the VFR routes into Redcliff or Caboolure.

If going into Gold Coast, watch out for the intersection of C, B and G taxiways with the undershoot of RWY 17/35, it is a hot spot and not easily seen from the low angle of a light aircraft seat.

UnderneathTheRadar
27th Apr 2014, 11:13
Thanks all,

Cessnock - bit off track and a pain to avoid airspace
Narromine - sounds good

What about Griffith, Parkes or Cowra?

XXX - what doesn't fly to the Gold Coast non stop? Have previously done similar trips in a Lance (Sunshine Coast). This one in a 601P - on today's winds, 192 minutes at FL210, 205kts TAS at 92l/hr (shock horror - LOP! - could go 230kts ROP and be right on the limits). With charter reserves I can leave an hour's worth of fuel behind. Coming back would be 247 minutes - still do-able but not without the kids going bananas.

Ultralights - Coffs Harbour wanted $2.46/litre recently!

Bentleg - ummm, cost of landing is inversely proportional to my chances of spending money in the local economy - something councils would be wise to consider.

VH-XXX
27th Apr 2014, 11:24
Ah ok, so a real plane, not the usual 172 that everyone here usually posts about for their inland trips.

ForkTailedDrKiller
27th Apr 2014, 11:43
Coffs Harbour wanted $2.46/litre recently!

Don't come to YBTL then - $2.60 last time I looked!

djpil
27th Apr 2014, 12:47
- what doesn't fly to the Gold Coast non stop?I plan on 200 nm legs (so 4 or 5 stops depending on winds) and carry a sandwich. Narromine is one of my standard stops and I agree that it is a very friendly place. As is Temora - I recommend the Patchwork Inn B&B for an overnight stop.