PDA

View Full Version : Not a military Walt, but a Walt all the same!

snapper41
25th Apr 2014, 16:29
My honour is a fake? It must be an error, says councillor Terry Wilkins - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10786675/My-honour-is-a-fake-It-must-be-an-error-says-councillor-Terry-Wilkins.html)

Walt!

Two's in
25th Apr 2014, 17:09
Stephen Richardson, who sits with Mr Wilkins on Illogan parish council, said: “The victims are the people who have been misled by him claiming to be an MBE. I believe he should step down.”

How tragic it must be to find out someone doesn't really have an MBE, that most worthy and meaningful of awards...

racedo
25th Apr 2014, 17:15
How tragic it must be to find out someone doesn't really have an MBE, that most worthy and meaningful of awards...

Course it is possible to nominate someone for an award for services to the community :E

Wensleydale
25th Apr 2014, 18:28
...and Andy Murray got one for services to Roger Federer.

Union Jack
25th Apr 2014, 18:55
How tragic it must be to find out someone doesn't really have an MBE, that most worthy and meaningful of awards....

.... and even more tragic, according to the Telegraph report, to have used it in his email addresses!:=

Jack

Biggus
25th Apr 2014, 19:54
If the article is to believed, it also appears he doesn't have an OU degree either.... :=

mmitch
26th Apr 2014, 07:38
I thought that someone Royal presented an award like that. If it came in the post was HM on a first or second class stamp?
mmitch.

Whenurhappy
26th Apr 2014, 08:17
A couple of years ago I was attempting to update my details on JPA, but without success. I went into JSAU(L) and explained the problem. The helpful HR assistant logged on and proceeded to correct qualifications, medal awards etc. I jokingly verbally added DSO to the list of service qualifications and he dutifully typed it in!

'Oh, I was only joking' resulted in 3 backspaces revolving this falsehood! I've wondered whether if had had jokingly said MBE - a common enough Honour for SP - whether it would have been discovered, at least whilst I remained in the RAF

N.Z. Whenurhappy GCMG. VC*
PhD (OU)

Martin the Martian
26th Apr 2014, 09:57
Might make for an interesting conversation the next time he knocks on my front door and asks for my vote as my council representative.

And now it has also emerged that he doesn't have an Open University degree that he claimed he had.

Cornwall Councillor Terry Wilkins: 'Open University degree claim was play' after fake MBE fracas | West Briton (http://www.westbriton.co.uk/Cornwall-Councillor-Terry-Wilkins-admits-Open/story-21013061-detail/story.html)

barnstormer1968
26th Apr 2014, 14:18
What strikes me about this story is that his dead wife seems to be getting the blame for his use of the honour.

Am I being very cynical in thinking that it is very easy for someone to blame someone who can no longer speak for themselves.

Rosevidney1
26th Apr 2014, 18:12
Am I being very cynical in thinking that it is very easy for someone to blame someone who can no longer speak for themselves. asks barnstormer 1968

Oh, not at all. The Jimmy Saville nonsense is a good example. Lawyers are the ones who have already removed considerable amounts from his charity for their toil in acting on behalf of his alleged 'victims' who in many cases had never met him. Blame the mainstream media for their hysterical reporting and causing what can best be described as a feeding frenzy.

Treg
27th Apr 2014, 05:10
Just last year my parents were awarded OBEs but they have chosen not to use this title in signature blocks.
The fact the award was Australian in origin and stands for “Over Bloody Eighty” probably had something to do with it...

P6 Driver
27th Apr 2014, 11:10
I don't suppose this Walter could produce the original letter, as it could provide a clue as to who originated this alleged "hoax".

On a technical point, writing as someone who doesn't hold such a medal, when an MBE or similar is issued, are the holders details engraved or stamped onto it?

zetec2
27th Apr 2014, 16:23
I always thought OBE stood for: Other B*ggers Efforts ?.

Tankertrashnav
27th Apr 2014, 16:55

The trouble with the MBE is that among the many thousands of awards given to unremarkable time servers for just keeping their noses clean and not rocking the boat, there are a few which stand out as being worthy.

It's not generally known that up to the introduction of the Queen's Gallantry Medal both the MBE and the BEM could be awarded for gallantry. From 1957 there was a double oak leaf emblem to distinguish these awards but prior to that there was nothing to distinguish the winner of an MBE or BEM for gallantry from one who got his for 40 years of distinguished pen-pushing!

P6Driver - No, the MBE is never issued named, unlike the recently revived BEM which does carry the recipient's name.

Haraka
27th Apr 2014, 19:32
No, the MBE is never issued named,

That explains it. Somebody probably slipped him the one John Lennon sent back..........

Union Jack
27th Apr 2014, 20:47
From 1957 there was a double oak leaf emblem to distinguish these awards but prior to that there was nothing to distinguish the winner of an MBE or BEM for gallantry from one who got his for 40 years of distinguished pen-pushing!

TTN - Since we seem to be drifting gently, would you as our resident guru on such things kindly give a view on what happens if someone receiving a gallantry award in the Order of the British Empire, post the 1957 change in regulations, is subsequently awarded a higher honour in the order - perhaps even for high level pen-pushing!

Do they lose the right to wear the crossed oakleaf and, equally, what happens if they receive that higher honour in the Civil Division? Finally, am I correct in believing that the recipient of a BEM, whether for gallantry or otherwise, who is subsequently awarded a higher honour in the order, continues to wear and use the post nominals for both?

No axe to grind, merely curiosity,although come to think of it, I can recall two honorees in the sense of the first part of my first question, but can't recall what they actually displayed!:ok:

Jack

500N
27th Apr 2014, 20:56
Union

Isn't one in the Military division and one in the Civilian division ?

I was reading something about a year ago about someone
who had an award from each division.

Tankertrashnav
28th Apr 2014, 08:07
As far as I am aware (and I can't quote chapter and verse) the winner of an MBE for gallantry would not be deprived of that award, should they be subsequently be elevated to a higher level military award (OBE, CBE etc), In normal circumstances, they would simply no longer be Joe Bloggs, MBE, but Joe Bloggs, OBE, (or whatever), but in this highly unusual circumstance, and I cant think of an example, they would retain both awards, as the MBE with the gallantry emblem is deemed to be a separate award.

On the civil/military question, the best known example is Dame Kelly Holmes, DBE, MBE. She was awarded the MBE (military division) in 1998 "For services to the British army" and the DBE (civil division) in 2005, subsequent to her double Olympic golds at the 2004 Olympics. She may wear both medals and is styled Dame Kelly Holmes, DBE, MBE.

500N
28th Apr 2014, 08:09
Tanker

"Dame Kelly Holmes"

That is who I was thinking of :ok:

Thanks

P6 Driver
28th Apr 2014, 08:27
TTN - Thank you.

teeteringhead
28th Apr 2014, 09:04
Not from personal knowledge (not being any sort of *BE) but a small piece of trivia gained from mates who have been "advanced within the order".

Apparently, when this happens - eg when an MBE becomes an OBE - you have to send back the lower decoration! Presumably these are then recycled, which would explain the absence of any name.

Tankertrashnav
28th Apr 2014, 09:16
As far as I am aware, no British orders (as opposed to medals) have ever been named. Similarly, up to 1993 when there were separate gallantry awards for officers and other ranks, those given to officers and warrant officers eg DFC, were unnnamed, whereas the other ranks' equivalents, eg DFM, were officially named.

I think I have asked this question before, but now that these are all-ranks awards, are the crosses (DSC, MC and DFC) now officially named? Similarly have there been any NCO aircrew recipients of the DFC yet?

teeteringhead
28th Apr 2014, 09:35
Of course it may be the simple practical fact that medals have an "edge" on which names might be inscribed, but crosses do not??