PDA

View Full Version : EASA PPL Training: Theory in one country, flying in another

KOSMO
25th Apr 2014, 15:56
Dears,

I am currently based in Switzerland and I have the possibility to spend the summer abroad.

I am wondering if it is possible to do the PPL(A) theoretical in one country (e.g. Switzerland) and the flight hours in another (e.g. Portugal)

Has anyone done this ?

Looking forward to your answers !
All the best!
MC

Mach Jump
25th Apr 2014, 16:48
I can't, think of any reason why not, so long as you apply for the Licence to the same National Authority that issued your Medical, and use the application form issued by that Authority.

So, for instance, Swiss Medical, Swiss TK/Written Exams, Portuguese Flight Training and Skill Test, all recorded on Swiss application form, then apply to Swiss National Authority for the licence.

Just be sure that everyone involved understands that you will be applying for a Swiss issued Licence, as the paperwork may be slightly different. For instance, a Portuguese Flight Examiner will have to have a National Briefing from the Swiss authority.

Frankly, I fail to see why EASA Licences are at all associated with individual National Authorities. It seems to defeat the whole point of having a common Licence. :ugh:

MJ:ok:

worldpilot
25th Apr 2014, 18:30
Why make life difficult for yourself.

If you want to complete your flight training in Portugal, study hard for the theoretical exam at home and take the exams while in Portugal and do the flight training there. Portugal will issue you an EASA licence which you can convert to a Swiss licence if you want to do that.

I personally don't see any reason to convert an EASA licence though. You can fly with it in Switzerland too.

I leave in Germany and have EASA licence issued by the UK CAA.

WP

Mach Jump
25th Apr 2014, 18:38
...study hard for the theoretical exam at home and take the exams while in Portugal...l

If you do this, be sure to study for the Portuguese Exams as they will be different from the Swiss ones.

Each National Authority writes their own Exams.

Level Attitude
25th Apr 2014, 23:22
Each National Authority writes their own Examsand in their own language - can you read Portuguese?

worldpilot
26th Apr 2014, 08:20
No doubt, it is a challenge navigating different jurisdictions regulating pilot privileges.

However, it would be more advantageous to execute your training in English. English is a world wide acceptable communication language.

Hopefully, there is a facility in Portugal that conducts training in English.

WP

Whopity
28th Apr 2014, 07:07
I fail to see why EASA Licences are at all associated with individual National AuthoritiesBecause EASA is a Rule Maker (Assistant) not a Regulatory Authority and has no capability or remit to issue licences. Perhaps a PPL gained accross a number of States is the true EASA licence, a "thoroughbred mongrel" in all respects.
http://www.colourbox.com/preview/2146668-293861-russian-toy-terrier-thoroughbred-dog-ridiculous-dog.jpg

Mach Jump
28th Apr 2014, 09:20
I agree. But once issued, one EASA Licence should be indistinguishable from any other.

KOSMO
7th May 2014, 12:20
Thank you for your insights.

Does anyone know where to find this information ? I searched EASA website but nowhere it says that it is allowed to do the theoretical in one country and the practical in another...

Does anyone have a link or a document that states this?

MC

Whopity
7th May 2014, 20:19
COMMISSION REGULATION (EU) No 245/2014 of 13 March 2014‘FCL.025 Theoretical knowledge examinations for the issue of licences and ratings’
(b) in point (a) paragraphs (1) and (2) are replaced by the following:
‘(1) Applicants shall take the entire set of theoretical knowledge examinations for a specific licence or rating under the responsibility of one Member State.

KOSMO
21st May 2014, 06:56
Thanks.

Is there something similar regarding practical and theoretical?