PDA

View Full Version : Negotiations with ATC

Espada III
24th Apr 2014, 20:46
Flying this morning from TLV to LHR we were ready to push back in good time. The captain got on the tannoy and advised that ATC had given him a 65 minute delay but after negotiations, the delay was cut to five minutes. Indeed we took off pretty much on time and would have landed early were it not for the usual traffic in London.

Why would such a delay be advised initially, especially if it can be 'negotiated' down? Any ideas what was going on in ATC and between cockpit and tower?

Crazy Voyager
24th Apr 2014, 21:12
Most likely a slot time which has moved forward.

When a slot is assigned and the aircraft is ready before the time a message can be sent to CFMU telling the computer the aircraft is ready. This also contains the time needed for ATC to get the aircraft airborne. If the computers can see that there is an earlier slot available which ATC can get the aicraft airborne for then the aircraft will get a new slot and can depart earlier.

chevvron
24th Apr 2014, 22:31
Yes if you get either your handling agent/Ops/ATC to send a 'ready' message you might just get lucky. As you were ready to push, it was obvious you could take advantage of any earlier slots.

llondel
26th Apr 2014, 01:12
Presumably it's helped by some other unfortunate flight which isn't quite ready for its slot and makes it available. I've been on a flight where a 60 minute pushback delay was announced which suddenly got drastically shortened.

+TSRA
26th Apr 2014, 04:31
I've deplaned because a slot time was 2 hours away only to be told "be ready in five, I've got a spot for you." :mad:

In saying that, I've also had the opposite of "your slot time is x." Then you call for the clearance and they say "sorry, it's now x+2 hours.":ugh:

Una Due Tfc
26th Apr 2014, 11:24
Computer says no

mad_jock
27th Apr 2014, 07:07
Can also be they have worked out a reroute which has taken the aircraft away from the choke point which is causing the problem or re-filed at another level.

This time of year there is strong northerly winds so they will want to run along the med then head north. Instead of heading north from Turkey/Greece up towards Germany. And all middle east traffic will have the same plan and also the summer season med flights will just be kicking in.

Then again it may be an arrival flow issue and then it's just luck if the slot gets brought forward.

Espada III
28th Apr 2014, 18:12
Thanks

We did in fact fly north over Cyprus and turkey, gradually heading west and then over Germany. Seems to be the longer way home, but if it avoided traffic and got up in the air on time, then fine by me.

mad_jock
28th Apr 2014, 18:47
that will be it then the slot was longer than the penalty for the head wind and they had enough traffic load left to load the fuel.

Bet it was a bit lumpy for some of the route.