PDA

View Full Version : TRI/TRE biz jet

kesskidi
24th Apr 2014, 15:33
Hello all,
I'm requesting some info about those qualifications from those who have it.
Did it bring a good momentum at some point in your career ? I'm not talking about network, but rather about the credibility/knowledge it can bring.
How was it to shift from flying to instructing both classroom and sim ?
Did you have any difficulties to find a flying job after 5 years of instructing, how were you considered by a CP or DFO afterwards ?

Thank you !

givdrvr
16th May 2014, 20:31
Good question! Anybody?

Sop_Monkey
18th May 2014, 11:43
Good question

In my view instructing is a "calling". You maybe the best operator in the world but if you are unable to put it across effectively, you are probably not going to make a good instructor. Instructing or examining should not be viewed as a short cut for promotion etc..

"An instructor will see what you are doing wrong and explain how to do it right. A check pilot will tell you are what you are doing, or have done wrong".

There is a huge amount of physiology involved in being an effective instructor and unlike a lot of basic flying instructors, advanced instructors should be quite experienced also. 10,000 hours is a good yard stick, certainly for airline. Less for candidates who have done biz jet only as the hours P.A aren't there.

Trappers? I look at them as I would look at a pedophile in a school yard. Creators are needed, not destroyers. Anyone can be "broken" in a simulator but what does it prove? Absolutely nothing. Reminds me of those insidious "chop checks" that used to be carried out. I refused to partake.

First.officer
18th May 2014, 15:33
There is a huge amount of physiology involved in being an effective instructor

Sounds like you dissect your students Sop_Monkey :)

I'm guessing the psychology aspect is what you really mean? hehe.

F/o

FrankR
18th May 2014, 18:17
Interesting that you ask for the input only from "those who have it"

If you ask 100 line captains, my bet is that the majority look unfavorably on the TRI, line check airmen group.

When I read on a resume that a guy was a "training captain" or some such term, I usually stop there. Fussy, anal, difficult, and can't fly in the real world come easily to mind...

FR

kesskidi
20th May 2014, 21:34
Thanks for your replies guys, much appreciated !
Frank you're right, may be my question was a bit narrow minded but your answer brings a significant weight in the balance.

CaptainProp
21st May 2014, 02:05
If you ask 100 line captains, my bet is that the majority look unfavorably on the TRI, line check airmen group.

Because many of them want the job and are wondering "Why him/her and not me?"....?

When I read on a resume that a guy was a "training captain" or some such term, I usually stop there. Fussy, anal, difficult, and can't fly in the real world come easily to mind...

Pretty narrow minded "logic" to me.... Are there some difficult to deal with guys out there who have been given positions they don't handle very well? Of course, but the majority are just regular guys doing their job....

CP

FrankR
21st May 2014, 02:46
"I love flying with you, {Mr. check airman}, I always learn so much :) !

... Was it believable?

Look, the guys we all want to be check airmen never want the job. It should be relaxed guys with nothing to prove and 20 years on type, but in my career, it always seems to attract the guys that no one wants to fly with, who aren't very proficient sticks. Sure, they are miles ahead when quoting regs, and obscure facts about systems, but you need to ask yourself if you want to be grouped with that kettle of fish?

Being a training captain at a really small outfit may help you get your next job, but only at a medium company that can't retain people in the training department. Here again, do you want this?

"Regular guys doing their job"??? Not a chance! "Your job" is to fly these really cool airplanes 70-80 hours a month! Leave the training and paperwork to the old geezers and those who lost their medical.

FR