PDA

View Full Version : FAA ATP - additional rating (141 appendix I)

rudestuff
24th Apr 2014, 14:09
I am a heli pilot. I have everything I need to get an ATP airplane - except 250 hours PIC airplane.
All the Google searches bring up issues of PIS/US etc for FO's wanting to upgrade etc, so thought I'd ask here. I've read the regs, and just wanted some opinions on my interpretation...

Part 61.159 requires 250 PIC airplane. (I have 75)

Part 141 appendix E (ATP course) requires that you meet part 61.159 requirements, however....

Part 141 appendix I (additional category/class) says that the course must be 25 hours, BUT makes no reference to part 61.159

In my position, it would actually work out cheaper to get my ATP on the helicopter then do a 25 hour course, than pay for another 175 hours in an airplane, IF appendix I is a way to avoid 61.159!! The problem is, the FSDO said it depends on what's authorised in the course, and I can't find anywhere that offers it!

MarkerInbound
24th Apr 2014, 17:23
I would agree that you've read the regs correctly. And as the FSDO says, each 141 school and syllabus is different. You could have two schools at the same airport with programs that lead to the same rating with different entry requirements and syllabuses. A MEL ATP add on to a helicopter rating may be be a program the FAA set the standards for but no 141 school saw the need to develop the program and get it approved.

As has been posted in several threads, if you at all think there is a chance you could be getting a FAA ME ATP in the next couple years, take the written test before 1 August. On that date a new set of regs comes into effect and there is a requirement to complete a training program just to sit the written. The program must include several hours of sim time so it's going to be in the thousands of dollars. If you pass the written before August, you'll have 24 months to pass the checkride.

rudestuff
25th Apr 2014, 12:03
Thanks, the FSDO guy said pretty much the same thing, get the ATP written before August... I guess if I cant find a 141 school, I'd better get myself a c152!

malc4d
27th Apr 2014, 08:51
Where in the States are you looking to fly ?

rudestuff
30th Apr 2014, 17:48
Most likely Florida, but I'm open to suggestions