PDA

View Full Version : Retainers?

Jimmyjerez
24th Apr 2014, 07:48
Hi all I've just been offered my first FI job, twenty quid an hour which I'm really happy with. However some of my old course mates have said they were offered a lower per hour but with a little retainer per week which was good when weather bad and things. Is this more common or any good advice on what is better?

Capt Loop
24th Apr 2014, 15:11
If you want to work and log hours then take the higher pay. You will need the incentive to fly.

Too many instructors have sat around and made excuses to not fly as they still get they pittance of a retainer.

TriBeCa
24th Apr 2014, 18:06
But the incentive to fly should not be money. Don't get airborne 'to log hours' simply because you need the money. You are there for the student and I would suggest only flying if the weather is going to be favourable for the lesson and to give the student the best opportunity to understand what you are teaching.

I would ask for a retainer as well because, lets be honest, the weather can be unpredictable at the best of times.

I appreciate you are a restricted FI but the moment you have your restriction lifted, ask for more.

taff_lightning
24th Apr 2014, 20:23
Just take the job and start flying. There will always be someone on a better deal and someone on a worse. £20 is not great but I know people on less.

This is your first opportunity to operate in the capacity as a commercial pilot. Grab it and do a good job. The more experience you get the more you can negotiate, got to get it first.

Fly safe

RTN11
24th Apr 2014, 22:12
Retainers certainly aren't the norm these days. With the slightly higher hourly rate, you'll certainly enjoy the very busy months when you'll be earning close to £2k, it can make the winter months lean, and doesn't help if there's an unforeseen problem like a long term tech aircraft or airfield closure, but ultimately the schools want the flexibility of no retainers, and they have the power at the moment.

Perhaps it will go full circle, with a potential shortage of decent experienced instructors, unrestricted and able to tech night and IMC, Ts & Cs may one day go back towards retained positions, but schools will always pay the lowest they can as their margins are already tight.

£20 an hour is pretty much the going rate, ask if it will improve once you are unrestricted, and if they pay you when you send a student solo, as these can add up to quite a bit extra.

Jimmyjerez
8th May 2014, 21:04
Thanks all first few weeks going well and learning loads! Just realising how weather can mess you up though!