PDA

View Full Version : Private airstrips in the UK

illy1977
23rd Apr 2014, 17:11
Good evening all,
I'm not a pilot of full size aircraft, but an aero modeller in the UK. I am interested in speaking with people who have private airstrips who might be interested in hiring the space for a few weekends a year for aero modelling. We are a small group of guys of ages from 22-72 from all over the UK who are looking for somewhere to race model aircraft. If you can help, or know someone who might, I'd love to chat about how we can help each other as we currently have nowhere to fly our models. We normally have a Saturday for practice/setup and Sunday for racing and pay the land owner for the privilege. Generally speaking, a flight is about 70 seconds under power and between 6-10 minutes between flights, so our airtime is actually rather short.

Sorry for the rather abrupt introduction to the forum.
Chris

onyxcrowle
23rd Apr 2014, 17:58
Are there any dissused strips in reasonable condition that might be suitable? .
Full Sutton also has a grass strip

ChickenHouse
23rd Apr 2014, 19:23
Hi Chris,

you know "Bones Aviation Page"? He collected all known airfields in the UK - historic and current. Go to UK Airfield Catalogue (http://www.homepages.mcb.net/bones/UK_Airfield_Catalogue/ukmenu.htm) and choose i.e. the .kml Google Earth File for download and have a look which UK Airfield suits your needs.

illy1977
23rd Apr 2014, 21:12
Thanks for the link...could be very useful. We've looked at a lot over the years and most aren't suitable or not able to offer their land for the very little 10 days a year we'd like. A remote farmers field with short enough grass would be good.