PDA

View Full Version : Class 1/2 Medical Hearing requirements

MAT1991
23rd Apr 2014, 15:49
Hi everyone,

I'm a 23 year old "wannabe" commercial pilot from South East UK. Flying is my only real passion but it's taken me only until now to reach a mature decision about pursuing it.

Unfortunately as a small child, I was diagnosed with Bacterial Meningitis for a period of time. I was lucky in that I managed to recover from it with little side effects other than a scar on my right arm. However, the one and only side effect suffered was a small amount of difference in my hearing. I had hearing tests from 2 years up to 13 years old and have since discontinued them (I presume as my hearing has not changed through those years, nor have I noticed a change since). My left ear as far as I know is of very good working order (in fact quite normal), but my right ear is a little less good but I can hear with it fine.. but it's not quite as good as the left basically.

My question lies in what types of hearing tests an AME will conduct. I researched that unless I apply for an Instrument rating, I won't have to go through the Pure tone audiometry tests? (This is what I'm most worried about).

Therefore, considering I'm confident in hearing with both ears a normal conversation 6 feet behind my back, can I be confident in qualifying to study at the very least a PPL?

Also what are the chances of me passing the audiometry if I can hear conversation behind me with each ear? Does anyone have any experience doing both?

I realise my questions are quite vague, and I will only truly know when I go eventually for the medical. Just looking for a bit of a morale boost.

Thanks

Irish21
28th Apr 2014, 18:50
in the US its a voice whisper test..the doctor stands so many feet away from you and then whispers words which you will need advise him on what he stated. In the US you can wear hearing ads as a professional pilot just like a pilot can wear glasses.

Check at your local airport in the Federal Aviation Regulations/Airman's information Manual (this is what it is called in the usa) under the medical section for more info. Also call the JAA and ask their medical department for more info with regards to your hearing test/wearing hearing ads in the US this department does not ask for your name (it's all done anonymously so that pilots will call their office before flying) ask them if you can stay anonymous during the call.

Good Luck