PDA

View Full Version : EK email spamming getting ridiculous

jack schidt
22nd Apr 2014, 17:57
The continual recent spamming of the inbox with so many emails here in EK is beyond a joke. The emails of late have at times been over 10 a day and its never ending! The continual changes and tweaks to procedures via FCIs is outrageous. This recent bout of spamming the inbox is not acceptable, even Ed would have disapproved.

Calm down please in the office, we do not have the time sitting around doing very litlle productive work (like some) to have enough time to read all the changes in our own (little) free time.

Clearly, the most recent email does not show any confidence in the pilots ability to know what wing contamination is and the cabin crew should now become responsible to make sure the pilots know about the contamination. Don't get me wrong, great for CRM but from the authority, it assumes little confidence in the drivers.

Al Murdoch
22nd Apr 2014, 18:09
I don't see any problem whatsoever with asking the cabin crew to be aware of such things. And it was already policy anyway.

Mr Good Cat
23rd Apr 2014, 04:23
Exactly.

Situational awareness includes using your crew's eyes and ears and gaining as much info as possible before making a decision. Don't disengage the crew by making them feel they can't provide info to you as a skipper.

However, I agree the amount of changes in such a short space of time is unworkable.

My main gripe with the email system is that it's easy to miss an important FCI when I have about 10 emails telling who has won Baggage Services station of the month, and who had been promoted to Deputy Assistant Senior Vice President to the Assistant Deputy of Staples, Afghanistan.

QCM
23rd Apr 2014, 05:23
Attention Flight Deck this is your Management...“Descent,descent”...your privileges...
By the way that's the best period of the year to review all these cold weather ops...runway closure,alternate will be Qaanaaq (Thule)...

littlejet
23rd Apr 2014, 05:47
Wing contamination is OMA to OME copy/paste. Was there forever

falconeasydriver
23rd Apr 2014, 06:03
You guys read emails? I thought the time to check new FCI's/FCN's was during the briefing, I'm sure it says so in the OMA 8.1. something…

BANANASBANANAS
23rd Apr 2014, 06:52
When I was interviewed for a DEC with EK 18 months ago, I was told that I was wanted for my experience, command skills, situation awareness and common sense. To be fair, that has been consistently reinforced by the excellent training and checking (almost without exception) that I have seen and experienced in the last 18 months.

Why then, does Fleet seem to have such a firm grasp of the trivial and a completely opposite mindset to Training?

It's not that what they are emailing is wrong, it's just that 90% of it is basic common sense and to try to proceduralize common sense runs the very real risk of destroying lateral thinking (resilience) and inhibiting, through fear, it's use.

From what I have seen so far, we have some exceptional talent flying the line and we don't need to be told how to tie our shoe laces.

Rant over!

Mr Good Cat
23rd Apr 2014, 07:49
It's not that what they are emailing is wrong, it's just that 90% of it is basic common sense and to try to proceduralize common sense runs the very real risk of destroying lateral thinking (resilience) and inhibiting, through fear, it's use.

WHAT HE SAID...

I fear for the guys who are joining now with the absolute minimum hours and will spend the next 7 years without being allowed to think for themselves and use common sense, only to find themselves in a critical situation not covered by the books... It could lead to a very undesirable state :sad:

millerscourt
23rd Apr 2014, 08:16
BB

Although I agree that trivial matters like how to tie your shoe laces are inappropriate, likewise perhaps bringing to your attention that in the context you used, it's use should be its use is equally trivial:{

Jefferson Airplane
23rd Apr 2014, 10:32
It is however, imperative that we read the weekly ASRs in case we miss a gem of flight safety information:

* Vertical speed of 1,050 fpm was momentarily achieved below 1,000' AGL
* Due to wake turbulence, bank angle was 12 degrees on departure
* Flight diverted to alternate airfield due to weather
* Below 5,000', speed momentarily increased to 260 kts
* EICAS Alert 'VNAV Step Climb' activated after passing FMC computed step climb point

harry the cod
23rd Apr 2014, 10:43
Nice to see then that the ASR exercise put together by the CRM boys this year wasn't wasted on the troops! :rolleyes:

Perhaps we should have two weekly reports published, the ASR's and ACR's. The reports such as those mentioned above get put into the Arse Covering Report section each month thus shaming those stupid enough to submit such utter tosh. Maybe, just maybe, they might get the purpose of what an Air Safety Report is for. :ugh:

Al Murdoch
23rd Apr 2014, 13:09
Be careful what you wish for - my old employer shared NOTHING about safety reports or accidents/incidents with its pilots. I can put up with it even if it does mean filtering out the "I went to XXX and there was no room service, boo-hoo" nonsense.

jack schidt
27th Apr 2014, 06:28
Wow Volverine, you been on the happy juice this morning when you landed? That doesn't make sense, is spelt incorrectly and in now way has any contribution to the thread or forum. I hope the headache is not too bad when you come back to read this.

Jefferson Airplane
27th Apr 2014, 10:12
I rather think the small Volvo just stumbled in from a hectic night at Zinc or some other such establishment.

A night BOM/HYD/LHE wouldn't scramble a man's brain so much?

skytrax
27th Apr 2014, 14:51
@Old King Coal
Very bright post. Keep them coming, you might get an award. :ugh:

vinayak
28th Apr 2014, 17:37
This forum is getting ridiculous!

SimCity
29th Apr 2014, 14:25
This forum is ridiculous? Yeah right. How about the families who have had to endure years of construction, years of noise, years of vibration shaking your entire villa, years of disruption until all hours of the day. Tough enough on the family, and then get up and fly a 15 hour ULR trip. MEYDAN is just another scenario that the family support folks will have to squash as a figment of our imaginations.

harry the cod
11th May 2014, 10:59
A 'suggestion' to Flight Ops;

When you send out yet another FCI (assume there's an audit coming up hence the plethora of changes), could you please stop referring to another manual without giving a valid reference. 3600 pilots then have to go in search of the change whereas if you just took another 2 minutes to reference it or, god forbid, actually print the change in the actual email, it would save us all a lot of time and effort. Open email, read it, absorb, close it, done!

I'm sure most of us really have better things to do on days off then chase our tails around looking for subtle changes in chaotic manuals!

Harry

Payscale
11th May 2014, 11:41
You need to send your complaint to Emirates. Sending it here really wont help much....unless flight ops reads this stuff!

harry the cod
11th May 2014, 12:03
Nah, read PPRune? I'm sure they're far too busy......in Costa! :rolleyes:

Harry